PDA

View Full Version : Where do you store your trucks? - Found good solution

jacksmomtobe
12-31-2006, 10:04 PM
Ds has a ton of trucks and I'm looking for ideas on where to store them so that our playroom doesn't look like such a big mess. I want to reorganzise the room that ds plays with his toys in downstairs. We definitely need some sort of item were we can store books. I've been thinking about a pbk base as part of my solution which would work for a lot of things but probably not all the trucks. Currently I have 2 extra large pbk baskets next to each other that are overflowing with med to large trucks and then 3 other mesh bins from the Container Store one overflowing with books & 3 other stuffed toys and other misc items. I've also considered going into the Container Store but I'd like to go into it with some thought and not just blindly buy items that may or may not work. I feel like the room is a real hodge/podge of organizing items right now. The room has limited wallspace due to windows, door openings, etc so something tall (plus I'm not keen on anything that may tip) isn't the best option. Currently we have the toy trolleys in ds's room but I don't put too many trucks in those since they aren't that solid. I'd appreciate any ideas.

Edited to pass along solution I found: I was in PBK today and noticed their Primary Canvas Buckets. Their catalog pics don't do justice to this item. I got the Large Bucket in Navy since our room is mostly blue & beige. It's got a frame and is quite large..perfect for those big trucks. I'm thinking about getting another one tomorrow since we have a ton of trucks. I did get quite a few trucks into the one I already bought.

Thanks!

DDowning
12-31-2006, 11:16 PM
I just spent two days doing the same thing with our playroom which has a lot of the same issues. Unfortunately the huge trucks went upstairs. I decided the little manipulative things like blocks, tinkertoys, etc. stayed down. I have 3 of the 2 shelf Cameron bookcases along one wall:

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a189/momtocnc/kids%20bath/e4b9fa68.jpg

The baskets hold megablocks and legos (bottom), cardboard building blocks top. The mesh cubes in the center hold trains, small trucks/cars/airplanes, pop-up blocks on bottom, books/puzzles on top. The other bin holds tinkertoys, mr. potato head, small LP sets, more Legos on the bottom. To keep some of the little stuff contained, I got a bunch of those candy jars from PBKand put up 2 foot Stanton shelves (not available online, in-store only).
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a189/momtocnc/kids%20bath/985247f5.jpg

I'm still working on the other side but I did put up more shelves on the opposite wall to hold more larger toys, with kitchen stuff on the bottom two shelves:
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a189/momtocnc/kids%20bath/02adaee0.jpg

HTH and gives you some ideas!

redhookmom
01-01-2007, 02:16 AM
Great photos. Looks like a fun playroom!

Our trucks are parked under the sideboard in the dining room.

jacksmomtobe
01-04-2007, 12:34 PM
Your playroom is totally adorable! I love the PBK stuff. How are the Cameron shelves stability wise? I know that some of their large items come with anti tip clips or something. The reason I ask is that DS would be fine but as DD starts to stand, walk etc I want to make sure there aren't any issues there. I would prefer not to secure things to the wall to give us flexibility for the future but would do it if that is necessary safety wise. Plus with our window situaton some of the shelves may be out from the wall due to the window ledge.

Thanks!

zoestargrove
01-04-2007, 01:21 PM
What a dream play room!! I want to come over and play!!

We "park" all of our trucks under the train table....which is now called the garage.

Kelly

cstack
01-04-2007, 01:38 PM
I want a playroom! Actually, I want YOUR playroom. WOuld you come organize my house for me?

DDowning
01-05-2007, 12:17 PM
I think the stability is pretty good. They are only about 29 inches high so the center of gravity is pretty low. When we first moved into the house my DD was only about 5-6 months old and we've had no issues. HTH!

DrSally
01-09-2007, 03:45 PM
What an awesome playroom!