PDA

View Full Version : Keepsake birthday gifts?

funda62
01-01-2007, 04:30 PM
I know we've discussed this before but I need some more ideas.

DD2 will be one on valentine's day. I really want to start a tradition of giving her something special each year that she can use when she is older. Must be online.

Thanks!

tribecamom
01-01-2007, 08:23 PM
I want to start a charm bracelet that she can wear when she is older

would love suggestions on sources of charms...

deenass
01-01-2007, 11:26 PM
What about an add a pearl necklace?

BeachBum
01-02-2007, 08:54 AM
pearl or gold add a bead necklace
silver flatware

madelinesmom
01-02-2007, 08:56 AM
Another vote for a pearl necklace. My great aunt started an add a pearl for me when I was born and finished it off when it graduated from high school. Other than my wedding band it is one of my most precious pieces. I started one for both of my girls.

Jane
http://b4.lilypie.com/l3-em6/.png
http://b1.lilypie.com/-FG1m6/.png

matthewsmom
01-02-2007, 10:03 AM
I'm interested also. That sounds like a great idea. I did a quick check on the net but couldn't find places to buy these pearls. I was wondering where do you buy the pearls? Do you buy it from a jeweler or on the net? Thanks.

mom to little e
01-02-2007, 11:44 AM
I think these are a great idea!! DD 1s't bday is coming up and this would be nice but given my time constraint, I would probably have to look at a jeweler. You think any nice jeweler would have them?

Maryann

ilovetivo
01-02-2007, 01:14 PM
I have one for me that only has like 7 pearls on it. Great idea though! I think i'll start this one up for her.

My pearls are small though - kid size. Are you all doing small or larger size one?

kijip
01-02-2007, 02:53 PM
Maybe it is old fashioned but I love the idea of building up a silver set for them to have when they are adults. :)

Emmas Mom
01-02-2007, 02:55 PM
www.jamesavery.com

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE their charms! :)

funda62
01-02-2007, 03:30 PM
I was thinking about this or china, but a friend of mine says she never uses her set of silver except on special ocassions.

We move a lot so I really need something I can consistantly buy online.

ilovetivo
01-02-2007, 04:12 PM
Photo albums/memory albums of the year

Journal of the year

Letter to her each year of your memories, thoughts, hopes, wishes, advice for the future etc, that she can open when she's 16 or 18 or something. Or when she has a child etc. Each letter can be different.

madelinesmom
01-02-2007, 10:27 PM
I live in a pretty small town and the ones I am getting are from a local jeweler. I am ordering 4 mm pearls and right now they will be loose. When they get older and there are more pearls I will have them tied between so if the chain breaks they won't lose all of them. Mine are many different sizes b/c my Great Aunt got them from two different places. When we did the final stringing the jeweler strung them from the smallest at the clasp to the larger ones in the front.

Jane

madelinesmom
01-02-2007, 10:29 PM
Katie,
I love this idea. I have a China Pattern with 24 place settings my mother collected from before I was born. I cherish this more than almost anything else that was left. B/C there are 24 place settings both of my girls can have 12 once I am gone. No fighting over who gets the China.

Jane

funda62
01-03-2007, 02:52 AM
This is what I have decided to do. DH and I have been eyeing china for ages so I'm going to buy a place setting "for the girls" each birthday but we will also use it for special occasions now. I just have to decide on a classic pattern now.

kijip
01-03-2007, 12:08 PM
Love the idea of getting 24 over time so there are no fights over who gets it.

China and silver patterns are also widely available online or depatment stores will often ship. :)

spanannie
01-05-2007, 12:59 AM
I love this idea, too, but what do you do for your son, if you are doing this for your daughter?

I buy a sterling ornament for each of them each Christmas, so this is a similar idea. I like the China idea, too, but I am trying to figure out the logistics of it, if I have 3 kids.

funda62
01-05-2007, 03:09 AM
I guess I'd still go with china. They don't have to have 12 place settings each, I think 6 would be fine.

My DH is from Turkey and they give both girls and boys gold coins on special occasions. When they marry the boys generally sell the coins to buy household goods while the girls trade their's in for jewlery. I wonder if savings bonds could be used like this in America?

MamaMolly
01-06-2007, 09:54 PM
What about buying one of the Lenox Christmas patterns (if you celebrate, that is!) That way you can also get all kinds of accessories, too. Lenox even makes linens!
My aunt and her daughter have the same silver pattern, which is such a smart idea. They can share for big parties.
Molly

CiderLogan
01-07-2007, 01:50 PM
This isn't really a gift, but on my DD's first birthday I bought a blank journal from a bookstore and labeled it 'Julia's Birthday Book' or something. Each year (well, only 3 so far), I have enclosed her birthday party invite, written a little "year in review" type letter to her talking about the last year and my feelings for her on her birthday, and (for her first two parties when it was more adult-focused) had her adult guests sign it. My dad also writes a poem for her each year, so I tape that in there. It is really simple, but it makes me glad that I'm starting a tradition for her that she can add to as she gets older. Now I just hope I remember to do the same thing for my second DD when she turns 1!

PS - I love the charm bracelet idea. My girls each have a James Avery charm bracelet (gift from my parents) with their birth year, something representing their birth state, little things that they love (for ex. DD1 loved the moon one year so she got a moon charm), big/little sister, etc.

Jenny
Julia, 8/03
Clara, 5/06

o_mom
01-07-2007, 01:59 PM
If you get something 'classic' they will probably be able to find a matching or coordinating set later. I have some Havalind china from my Grandmother. There were 3-4 different patterns, but all were white on white so they can be used together. There were enough for both my sister and I to get a set of 12 and it is easy to find other pieces to use with them.

DrSally
01-07-2007, 08:02 PM
I did a similar thing this year, and had each person write their favorite memory of DS from that year. Also, I bought a regular pic frame with a large mat and had people sign it for him. Will put a pic in of him eating his cake.