PDA

View Full Version : Game System for 3 yr old??

KrystalS
01-03-2007, 11:23 PM
My dd will be 3 in a few weeks. I really want to get her some type of game system because she loves playing with her cousins. They are older and she really had no clue what she is doing but she still loves it. I know my only options are really the leapster or the vsmile. I know lots of people have these so what are the pros and cons? Will my dd even know how to do anything? She plays a few games on the computer(nickjr.com) so I know she is coordinated enough. But will the games be too advanced for her? I know a lot of the vsmile games say 3-5, but lots of toys are not age accurate.
Any advice is appreciated!

egoldber
01-04-2007, 08:53 AM
We have a Leapster. I got it for DD when she was 4. It varies on the fine motor skill of your child, but my DD would not have been able to really do the games herself much before the age of 4.

My DD really, really enjoys her Leapster. I wish now though that I sort of wish I had held off on getting her a game system until she was old enough for a Game Boy or a Nintendo Advance. There are a LOT more games to choose from. And the Leapster is only vaguely educational at best LOL! As it is, we are looking at a GBA or DS for her birthday in August.

SnuggleBuggles
01-04-2007, 08:55 AM
Ds got the "Dora" video game to use on dh's Game Cube last year. He still prefers to watch over play. He got the "Cars' video game this year. I haven't watched them play "Cars'" yet but "Dora" was good b/c it is really easy to control.

I worry about him turning into a couch potato that wants to do nothing more than play video games all day (like his niece and nephew) so I have mixed feeling about video games at all, and more specifically for kids. I guess if he looks like he is turning into a couch potato I'll limit/ take the games away pretty early on so it doesn't become a full on habit.

I haven't researched any of the hand help systems. I guess I like it being on the big TV so everyone can watch and join in. Some of those hand held ones can hook up to the TV though, right?

Good luck!

Beth

cstack
01-04-2007, 01:53 PM
We have both the Leapster L-Max and the V-Smile. DS is 6 and got the V-SMile at 4 and the Leapster at 5. He loves both. One thing about the Leapster is that it requires more fine motor skill ability than does the V-Smile. I'd say that the age recomendations on the games for both are pretty accurate. Most games for both are "leveled", so you might choose level 1 for a 3 year old and level 3 for a 5 year old. My DS still enjoys the 3-5 games, but has no problem playing the games designed for his age group. If your DD has good small motor coordination, and you're just ever going to buy one or the other, then I'd say do the Leapster L-Max. It's handheld, but plugs into the TV for on screen play. The V-Smile doesn't requrie the fine motor coordination and you can buy an extra joystick, so you can play along, or she can play with a friend. Whichever you decide - consider battery usage. Buy the rechargable battery pack for the LEapster or the AC adapter for the V-Smile. They're well worth the investment.

MelissaTC
01-05-2007, 07:23 PM
DS received the V-Smile at 3.5 yrs and recently received the Leapster L Max at 4.5. He loves both. I agree with the pp that V-Smile was easier for him to use. Now that he knows how to write, the Leapster pen is easy for him to manipulate.

Tondi G
01-05-2007, 07:39 PM
we have a Vsmile and a Leapster! DS was able to play the Vsmile sooner than he was the leapster. He got the Leapster when he was maybe 3 and he didn't really start playing it well till he was 4 or older!

For the Vsmile I would suggest the Winnie the Pooh game for a starter! It is great and fairly easy to play! It was one of the first games my DS got!

For the most part their games are labeled pretty accurately... just go for the ones that are for 3-5. we got some games for DS that were for an older age category when he was younger and he got frustrated and just wanted us to play for him so he could watch!

Oh and agreeing with the PP that you need to buy the plug in adaptor for the Vsmile.... it eats batteries like there is no tomorrow!

I was just browsing the site and this thing looks kinda cool

http://www.vtechkids.com/product_page.cfm?productId=379?tvFrom=V.Smile%20Co nsole&productImage=%5Ff%2F%5Fpw%2F%5Fthumb%2F91320%5Fthu mb%2Ejpg&productStatus=n&tvFrom=V%2ESmile+Console&productId=379&productType=p&getProp=%5Btype+Function%5D&loadImage=%5Btype+Function%5D&makeComingStripe=%5Btype+Function%5D&makeNewProductSnipe=%5Btype+Function%5D&theType=product

the site lists all the games they offer too!

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05

kellyotn
01-05-2007, 07:46 PM
A good starter Leapster game is the Learn to Draw and Write cartridge. My 28 month old can use it and loves it. He got the Thomas train cartridge for Christmas, he's a big Thomas fan. Most of it is way too advanced, but if I guide him to the "read a book" part, or the "introduce the characters" part - he's happy as a clam. I think there are a few more things he could play, but we haven't delved into them yet. I've been really, really impressed with the Leapster. Its way more "computer-like" than I thought it would be. I think I was picturing something much more graphically low-tech.

I have no experience with the V-smile so I can't compare. :)