PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Is there life after PNP?

jhrabosk
01-04-2007, 03:01 PM
Completely by accident, when I was folding up the PNP at my IL's after Christmas last week, I discovered that it has a 30-pound weight limit. Who knew?!

Well, DD is hovering just under 28 pounds and I figure we'll make it through the next visit in early February, but I don't know about after that.

While they'd probably do it without complaint, I hate to have the ILs buy a travel crib. Is there any other alternative? Something I could keep in the back of my car?

Along those lines, at what age do you just put kids down with some pillows on the floor or in a sleeping bag? I'd worry that DD would get up and roam around...

TIA!

madelinesmom
01-04-2007, 06:43 PM
We have this, Madeline loves it and would rather sleep on it than with her Mom or her MiMi...

http://www.onestepahead.com/product/118/486761/118.html

It is at One Step Ahead, we put her on this at 2, when SIL had a baby and the PNP was taken. She was about 25lbs. (She had surgery and had lost about 4 lbs. It has a kind of a lip so they can't roll out, I didn't buy the pillow or blanket, we have enough of those. We just just use a regular pillow and blanket, I also cover it with a flat sheet for her to sleep on.

She really loves it and even when it is just she and I going somewhere she sleeps on this and I get the bed. It is kinda nice. I made a really big deal introducing it and she totally bought into it...

HTH

Jane
http://b4.lilypie.com/l3-em6/.png
http://b1.lilypie.com/-FG1m6/.png

Lynnie
01-05-2007, 08:33 AM
oh cr@p. there's a weight limit ?

well, I am not advocating this at all, but I can report that some pack n plays are able to hold 35 pound toddlers on the occasional trip to wherever.

ehem. not that I am talking about MY kid or anything....

newnana
01-05-2007, 09:34 AM
Wow, that is very cool. I'm definitely going to look into this. Thanks for the info!
Michelle

jhrabosk
01-05-2007, 12:19 PM
LOL, Lynnie! This sounds eerily like the conversation DH and I had last night about this subject. "Hmmm...well, it could probably handle an occasional overnight or nap when she's 32 pounds, right?"

That said, thanks Jane for your suggestion! I've seen that bed and thought that might be a good next alternative. I just think I need to wait until DD's a little bit older...I don't think she'd understand about staying in bed yet. But maybe I underestimate...

o_mom
01-05-2007, 12:53 PM
um, yeah, not MY 33 lb kid either.....

I don't think they really crash test the PNP anyway because there is no such thing as a 30 lb dummy.... (as Julie pointed out in carseats :-) ).

lilycat88
01-05-2007, 03:53 PM
That's sort of my reaction as well. Since DD isn't a climber and JUST hit 30 lbs., I'm in no hurry to try any other alternative until she is a bit older. I plan on using it when we visit grandma and grandpa in March. I am a bit more concerned with the fact that she pretty much touches each end when she is stretched out. Well...I was worried about it until last night when we found her in her crib...lying crossways...with her bottom propped up on top of all of her blankets. She INSISTS on being covered with about 8 blankets when she first goes to bed and we go in about 30 minutes later and take them out. So, she was at about a 45 degree angle. I'm not so worried anymore. :-) The kid obviously finds interesting positions to be comfortable.

niccig
01-06-2007, 04:45 PM
Our PNP and SIL's PNP can hold a 25lb toddler and a 138lb adult - just ask me how I know that! It's the only way to help DS get to sleep for the first few nights in a new place. Yes, it's against manufacturer's instructions, but it's held up at least a dozen times to our combined weight for 30mins at a time. So I think a 30+ lb toddler would be fine and plan to use ours for awhile with DS.

Nicci

lvales
01-09-2007, 12:20 AM
What we did until my IL's got a room completely babyproofed for DD is get a Ready Bed (inflatable toddler bed - you can find them at WalMart, Target, TrU etc.) and a small toddler tent (room enough for dd and one very small or very scrunched up adult) so we could close the "door" and keep her from wandering around the room if she woke up. She loved getting in her tent at night : )

After the room was babyproofed we just used the ready bed. We kept the tent to use in our yard this summer as a play tent.

betsydenny
01-11-2007, 05:45 PM
I know for sure that a PNP holds at least 35lb kids because DD slept in hers an entire summer when she was 3.5yrs old and easily 35lbs and she was FINE! She climbed in and out till I got a tent for it and now DS will be in it at age 2.5/almost 3 and easily 35 lbs. He will sleep in it for all of July this coming summer no matter what his weight.

So I would say do whatever you feel comfortable with.
I didn't put my kids in beds or on the floor when we travelled until they were ready to sleep in a bed- (DD almost 3.5 yrs and DS not yet!)

HTH!
Betsy