PDA

View Full Version : Chalkboard paint??

JdrKuhnert
01-05-2007, 04:14 PM
Has anyone painted furniture with chalkboard paint? I bought an unfinished table and chairs set. I would like to paint the top of the table with chalkboard paint and turn it into a chalkboard. Does the paint really work? My husband is concerned that every time my DS places something on the table it will make that fingernails on chalkboard sound. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Janda

DAKnits
01-05-2007, 06:30 PM
FYI, you can't get crayon off of chalkboard. I had gotten the Alex Super Art table which has a chalkboard top, and when the crayon wouldn't come off, I called the company -- they said you could try and scrape it off carefully, but it wouldn't really totally come off. I couldn't even get any of the marks to come off, and after a few days, the table looked really beat up.

Also, something to keep in mind is that if your child is using chalk on a table top, his arms will be covered in the stuff, versus using an easel chalkboard where you don't rest your arms on the chalkboard. Just something to think about.

Sorry I can't be of more help regarding using the paint.

bchafin
01-06-2007, 07:32 AM
I agree with the PP. I think a table top would get messed up pretty quick. I do like the thought of using chalkboard paint, I may paint squares and mount them along with squares of pegboard and painted metal for magnets. (I got the idea from pottery barn kids.) Also the latest issue of Martha Steart Living has a recipe to make your own colors of chalkboard paint. It seems easy and I love the thought of not beeing limited to green or black.

http://www.marthastewart.com/page.jhtml?type=content&id=channel5540051&contentGroup=MSL&site=living

HTH
Barb

Corie
01-06-2007, 03:14 PM
Barb,

I was just going to suggest the new issue of Martha Stewart Living. They had
some really cool ideas in the magazine for chalkboard paint.

I liked the picture on page 132 of the green chalkboard paint on the lower half
of the wall and the color-coded cork on the top half of the wall. Thought it would
look good in a playroom or basement! I actually tore out the picture to save for
reference. :)

bchafin
01-06-2007, 09:14 PM
I know! This issue has inspired me. I am going to try to use some of these idaes.

Barb

ajmom
01-06-2007, 11:21 PM
We have used the chalkboard paint on some walls in the nursery at our church- maybe it hasn't been cleaned properly, but once it was written on, it never looked the same. There is always trace chalk scribbles- it has NEVER looked as clean as before it was written on. IME, chalk doesn't erase off it very well at all and it always looks dirty.

JdrKuhnert
01-07-2007, 12:32 PM
Thank you all for your input. After reading your posts, I decided against the chalkboard paint for the tabletop. I am going to attach a roll of paper to one end of the table and he can pull it out and draw on that.

BeachBum
01-07-2007, 03:38 PM
I totally agree with the statement about once you write on it, it never being clean and fresh again. I was very disappointed with my "at home" results. The paint does not compare at all to a real chalk board.