PDA

View Full Version : Should I use a hand-me down bassinet?? Or PNP bassinet??

smkinc
01-06-2007, 12:25 PM
I have been given a few hand me downs. A kolkraft bassinet in fairly good condition, but does need to be cleaned. Should I even bother cleaning or just use the bassinet feature on a newer PNP that has had little use (maybe used a few times at grandmas over the last 3 months--but bassinet has never been used)??

If I do go with the kolkraft, do I need to get a new mattress because it has been used?

TIA,

Mary
Mom to J. Feb. '03
Homestudy complete for #2, just waiting

pittsburghgirl
01-06-2007, 12:41 PM
The advantage of the bassinet is probably that it takes up less space than the PNP.

We used the PNP bassinet in our room, and then used a handmedown bassinet as a secondary spot in the living room, for naps when I was doing stuff downstairs.

As to the hand me down mattress-- how used was it - by several kids, for sleeping all night or for naps? I just ended up getting a new sheet for the one I used.

Marilee
mommy to James
http://b3.lilypie.com/CSwdm4.png

luvsviola
01-06-2007, 09:59 PM
Here's my deal on mattresses. If you aren't weirded out by your kid using it, to me, its fine. If it was a garage sale find or something, I might replace it. If it was from family...heck no!

cstack
01-07-2007, 10:53 AM
I have a Kolcraft Bassinet that I got used at a consignement shop. It looked brand new, but I'm weird about baby equipment, so I washed and cleaned it. It says you are not supposed to wash the "skirt" part by any means but my hand. I washed it in my washing machine - cold, gentle cycle - and it came out fine. I pressed it with a cool iron and it does look like brand new.

You could use a steamer to steam the mattress, then wipe it down with a little clorox water. That's what I did. There were no tear or anything in the mattress, no stains, etc. The mattress is covered with vinyl, so it's easy to clean and disinfect. Then I bought a new sheet. Voila! A "brand new" bassinet.

smkinc
01-08-2007, 05:45 PM
Thanks for all of your replies. I'm washing all of the skirting/bedding (in the machine) now. The mattress has no holes, but there are a few spots on it. I'll try washing it and then see. We live on a 2 level home now, so at least I could use it for downstairs as a good place to put baby when I'm down there. I hadn't thought of having sleeping areas both up and down stairs.

Thanks again!

Mary
Mom to J. Feb. '03
Homestudy complete for #2, just waiting