PDA

View Full Version : Opinions from users of Swiffer on Hardwood floors??

Bens Momma
01-06-2007, 05:47 PM
I am going crazy trying to keep my hardwood floors clean/sanitary!! I have 2 DS (ages 1 & 3) and they spend a lot of time playing and crawling around on the floors. We live in an old home with hardwood pine floors. The floors (especially under the diningroom table and kitchen) seem to get filthy and I can't find the time to sponge mop the floor everday! I was thinking that using a Swiffer with the solution for hardwood floors might work for a daily cleaning and then I could do a full moping on the weekends. Wanted opinions from those that have used the Swiffer on hardwood floors....Does it work? Is it expensive for solution, pads, etc?

Thanks for the help!
Ben & Will's Momma

cstack
01-06-2007, 06:51 PM
I love my Swiffer. I do not mop anymore, just Swiffer dry cloths, Swiffer wet cloths for quickie cleans, and the WetJet for "mopping". I use it on both laminate and hardwood floors and it does a nice job. The solution is like $4 a bottle and lasts for a fair amount of time (I think cost wise, it's no more expensive than the cleaner I'd use with bucket/mop cleaning). Now, the pads are a bit pricier. Sometimes Sam's has a deal where you can buy pads and solution in bulk and that's a little less costly. However, I could never find a mop I loved, or even liked a little bit, so for me it's worth the cost.

Now, what I'm really drooling over is the one that is the dry cloth/vacuum/wet-jet type cleaner all in one.

ellies mom
01-06-2007, 06:55 PM
I don't like the Swiffer Wet Jet. It always left my floors too streaky. I used to use the wet pads all the time but I stopped for some reason. Usually, I'd just sweep or vacuum daily and then damp mop once a week. I'm not at all germophobic though so I aim for clean-ish rather than sanitary.

Momof3Labs
01-06-2007, 09:13 PM
We have all hardwood throughout our house. For picking up loose stuff, I love the swiffer broom with a microfiber cloth (can find them in the wal-mart auto section) - really gets up the dust and pet hair. We use the swiffer wet jet every week or so for "mopping". Not my favorite, but I haven't found anything that I like better yet.

squimp
01-06-2007, 11:49 PM
I use a microfiber mop (from Casabella brand at BBB) and a spray bottle of diluted white vinegar. It works really well and doesn't streak. I can throw the microfiber pad/sponge in the wash when I'm done - I have two so I can switch em out. For serious cleanups I do wet mopping with a bucket, but the spray bottle works well for spills and everyday. It is super easy.

The Swiffer wetmops left a residue on both my lino and hardwoods - it took two serious cleanups with the white vinegar to remove the residue. I could also never get good pressure on the floor with the wanky handle of the swiffer wet. My DH hated the Swiffer stuff smell too.

Bens Momma
01-06-2007, 11:53 PM
Oh I like the idea of using the dry Swiffer to get the hair & loose stuff up and then using the WetJet once/twice a week. I'm definitely NOT a neat freak, I wish I was...I just want to keep the floor relatively sanitary and clean since the boys spend so much time on it :D Can you use the dry cloths on the bottom of the WetJet unit, or do you have to buy a separate one? It sounds like the overall opinion is that the Swiffer WetJet works relatively well. I think I make the switch for awhile and see since I feel like I'm just pushing dirty water around my floor with the sponge mop! If anyone has any other suggestions feel free to let me know!

Thanks for the advice!
Ben & Will's Momma

s7714
01-07-2007, 12:21 AM
I recently switched from the Swiffer Wet Jet to a micofiber mop and vinegar as well. I had been using the Wet Jet for a while (vacuuming first then using the wet jet). I don't think the Wet Jet ever really got the floors that clean, because I could always wipe more dirt off by hand, even after I'd just mopped. I'm not a major clean freak or anything, but that kind of grossed me out. I tried the microfiber mop and vinegar/water solution and the floors are the cleanest they've ever been.

Another reason I switched is because of the reaction everyone in my family always seemed to have when I used the Wet Jet. It always made my DH's throat scratchy and everyone in the family would get incredibly thirsty afterwards.

ETA: I also hated the high pitched whine the Wet Jet made when you were spraying the solution. I never could mop while my DDs were sleeping, because the noise (it wasn't that loud, just high pitched and annoying) would always wake up my older DD.

Jennifer
Mommy to
Miss Pure Energy 3/03
Miss Antsy-Pants 6/05

Our bones may be brittle, but our spirit is unbreakable.
Osteogenesis Imperfecta www.oif.org

cstack
01-07-2007, 11:03 AM
You have to have the wetjet cloths. They have an absorbent pad in them (reminds me or a really big sanitary napkin) to wick up the solution and little fappy things that catch the yucky stuff.

I talked about 2 diffferent wet pads, too. There are "wet" cloths for the regular Swiffer that are like big baby wipes. Then there's the stuff that goes with the wetjet (solution and cloths)

I was looking at the other posters regarding the vinegar/microfiber cloths. I might try that. I'm thinking I could pick up some microfiber cloths and use some for dry/some for wet with vinegar and just use the regular swiffer with those cloths. Then I could see which one I like better.

Momof3Labs
01-07-2007, 12:05 PM
The microfiber cloths I mentioned won't work with the wetjet, just with the basic swiffer broom. We don't like using these cloths wet (too hard to push it across the floor) but might try the microfiber mop idea with the vinegar...

ellies mom
01-07-2007, 03:15 PM
You can get a microfiber mop at Target along with extra mop heads. I really like how they work. I use vineger to mop also.

I should say that I do like the Dry Swiffer wipes. You still have to pull out the broom but they do a great job on pet hair.

C99
01-07-2007, 04:38 PM
>I'm definitely NOT a neat freak, I wish I was...I just want to
>keep the floor relatively sanitary and clean since the boys
>spend so much time on it

It's all relative. I have 2 kids, hardwood floors and vaccuum 3x/week, do a big wash...um...not sure I want to say! :) Like a PP, I use hot water and vinegar. Occasionally I will use Murphy's Oil Soap because I like how it smells, but that is maybe once/year. I tend to not use chemicals in my house if I can avoid them. I figure the dirt is better for them (me, and the environmentment) than whatever they use to make Swiffer Wet Jet.

Bens Momma
01-07-2007, 11:26 PM
sorry double post

Bens Momma
01-07-2007, 11:30 PM
OK now I'm leaning toward the microfiber and vinegar wash...A couple questions. What's the ratio of vinegar to water mix? The vinegar doesn't seem to harm the finish on your floors? Thanks to all for your feedback and ideas.

Ben & Will's Momma

C99
01-07-2007, 11:50 PM
I use about 1/2 and 1/2 - or 1/3 vinegar to 2/3 water. I just kind of eyeball it. People have been using vinegar to scrub floors and clean for years and years - I would doubt that it could damage anything. My hardwood floors are old, so they don't have the kind of finish on them that newer floors do - it's better for my floors that they have as little chemical and as little wetness on them as possible. I use the smallest amount of water possible and usually go over the whole thing w/ a dry rag to soak up extra moisture.

ellies mom
01-08-2007, 01:14 AM
I use about about 1 cup vineger to maybe almost a gallon of water. But I don't think you can go wrong.

I know vinegar seems to have a really strong odor but it really disapates quickly.

neeter
01-08-2007, 05:09 AM
i have a totally different suggestion (in addition to the mopping part of it). i've found that most of the annoying stuff is crumbs or food that's fallen on the floor. i recently bought a cheap lightweight electric sweeper -- imagine a handheld vac that's attached to a stick. its been a lifesaver. i just use that at the end of the day, and its so much cleaner. its also much better and cleaner than using a broom.

as for the mopping, etc, i just use regular hardwood floor cleaner every 2-3 wks and its fine (or earlier if there's some mess i really need to take care of).

anyway, just a suggestion!!

sdbc
01-08-2007, 01:54 PM
I use microfiber cloths on my regular swiffer. It works well, and I put them in regular wash. I also sometimes spray them with vinegar solution first.
Sue, mommy to Aurora (Rory) born 5/13/04

ellies mom
01-08-2007, 02:43 PM
I want one of these. I have it all picked out and everything. I figure it will do a better job than my broom and be easier than dragging out the whole vacuum cleaner which is what I usually do. Now to convince DH, that it really truely is the one thing keeping us from a clean house.

teddy
01-08-2007, 06:07 PM
What brand are you looking at? I just recently discovered that I need one of these too because I am tired of pulling out the broom and dustpan every day. Maybe because my 6 month pregnant belly doesn't want me bending down to sweep up the crumbs....

At Target this weekend I saw a bunch but can't decide if I should go cordless (won't it lose suction quicker) or corded.

neeter
01-08-2007, 07:45 PM
i have this one:

http://www.lnt.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1361413&cp=1331608.2016830.2016817&page=2&doVSearch=no&pageBucket=0&parentPage=family

it's el-cheapo, especially with the 20% coupon. i was considering the more expensive ones, but i like that this one has a small brush -- which is good for going under the kitchen table and around chairs. i also didn't need it to be rechargable, since i have a plug right near the table/chairs (where i use it the most). i store it in my pantry, so its really convenient to pull out (and not have to lug the vacuum cleaner upstairs, which would deter me from cleaning in the first place!)

sofar, so good.

ellies mom
01-08-2007, 07:58 PM
I'm looking at Target's Electrolux Pronto 2-in-1 Stick Vac. Partly because I think it will do a good job and partly because it is just so darn slick looking. :)

squimp
01-08-2007, 11:22 PM
Yes - I meant to say this! I have a little cordless vac that was $30 at BBB, and it lives by by fridge. I use it every night after dinner - it's so great!

ETA - The one I have is the Eureka EZClean - like this one, but it's 3 years old, so not the same model. They have the shark $60 one ay my health club playroom, and really like it as well, but they've burnt out a few batteries on it. I haven't had to replace mine yet, but I do fully charge it all the time.

http://tinyurl.com/ya8tlf

abharrington
01-09-2007, 09:06 AM
anyone tried the Swivel Sweeper? I saw an infomercial on it but it seems like a swiffer size vaccume that you plug in. I really want one to keep my kitchen clean and not have to drag out the big vaccume. Dh doesn't quite get it but at 38 weeks and looking to having a litte one soon, it seems like a lifesaver.

www.swivelsweeper.com

abharrington
01-09-2007, 09:08 AM
for the vinager and water users: does this work on lanolium too? or just hardwoods? I have been using the swiffer wet jet but i dont' like having to buy the pads and solution and i feel like they dont' do the best job (i can still wipe up more dirt like the pp said)
Thanks!

ellies mom
01-09-2007, 12:48 PM
First I'll answer this one. I use vinegar and water on my linoleum floors as well as hardwood. Someone does make a swiffer style pad that is supposed to be vinegar but it left my floors sticky so I threw them out.

As for the slightly earlier question, I don't see the swiffer vac being a very good vac plus don't you still have to buy their pads? I figure for a little bit more I can have a better vac and not have to worry about buying the pads for it. But that is just me and I haven't actually used it.

squimp
01-09-2007, 02:37 PM
The vinegar thing works best on our linoleum. I hate linoleum, it never seems to come clean, but the diluted vinegar (like 1/3 vinegar, rest water) works better than enything I've tried so far. The Method cleaners, while smelling great, seem to leave residue. I love the spray bottle approach, so easy. Best idea I've ever gotten from Real Simple.

bwbutters
01-09-2007, 02:47 PM
Another option is the Bissell Flip Ease. I hope this link works: http://www.bissell.com/Products/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=Bissell&category%5Fname=Bare+Floor+Solutions&product%5Fid=5288

One side will vacuum the floor so you can eliminate the need to sweep first. The other side works like a wet Swiffer but it has a reusable cloth. Instead of using their solution, you can just use a vinegar mix. We just started using it and I love the fact that I don't have to sweep anymore! That's always my least favorite step. :)

s7714
01-09-2007, 04:33 PM
I use the vinegar/water mix on linoleum and tile too.

Jennifer
Mommy to
Miss Pure Energy 3/03
Miss Antsy-Pants 6/05

ilovetivo
01-10-2007, 06:16 PM
So how do you use it? Do you walk around w/ the bottle and spray, then mop, move, spray then mop?

Can you use the swiffer w/ microfiber cloths instead of a microfiber mop?

Do you do a dry run thru first?

What's the vinegar/water concentration? What type of bottle?

vicster
01-10-2007, 06:28 PM
we don't wear shoes in the house and wipe off our dog's paws (and private parts) every time he comes in the house. we vacuum once a week and use a dry swiffer in between as needed. beware that the wet swiffer has shown to be toxic to animals so i would beware of using that. for spot cleaning and wiping up drool marks from the baby and the dog, we use the bona hardwood floor cleaner (available at home depot or restoration hardware). works great and really gets the floor looking great. be careful what you put on your hardwood floors... if they are site finished with a polyurethane, you may end up streaking or adding a film on your floor inadvertently. use a cleaner that is meant for your floor finish.

squimp
01-10-2007, 11:55 PM
So how do you use it? Do you walk around w/ the bottle and spray, then mop, move, spray then mop?
*Yep

Can you use the swiffer w/ microfiber cloths instead of a microfiber mop?
*I think Lori said it will stick and not run over the floor smoothly. I prefer the pads. The thing about my swiffer is that I don't think the handle is strong enough to put pressure on, so I prefer a real mop.

Do you do a dry run thru first?
*I have a cordless stick vacuum that I use first. But I always vacuum before I mop.

What's the vinegar/water concentration? What type of bottle?
*I use 1/3 vinegar. (that's 2:1 water:vinegar). And I just have a spray bottle that I bought at the grocery store or somewhere.

Momof3Labs
01-11-2007, 09:17 AM
The swiffer pet thing is an urban legend:

http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/swiffer.asp

ilovetivo
01-11-2007, 06:12 PM
I found the Casabella mops today. I got the terri cloth one. Supposedly it's good wet or dry. The guy at the store said the Microfiber one was for dry only. Which one do you have?

The Microfiber one had a much smaller head but came w/ a replacement pad. I'm not sure this link is the one though. http://www.casabella.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc??Store_code=C&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=80580_1&Category_code=3100

Terri mop
http://www.casabella.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc??Store_code=C&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=80050_1&Category_code=3100

I just saw this on casabella's site though. Don't think they had it at LnT
http://www.casabella.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc??Store_code=C&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=80580_1&Category_code=3100

squimp
01-12-2007, 02:17 AM
I must have the magnet mop 1 (an old version that doesn't have the nifty handle). And the guy at the store, I think he's wrong. The first one has a wringer, which would only be used for wet mopping, right? Why else would you have a wringer? I use it for wet mopping. I even mopped today! Woo hoo!

squimp
01-12-2007, 02:17 AM
I must have the magnet mop 1 (an old version that doesn't have the nifty handle). And the guy at the store, I think he's wrong. The first one has a wringer, which would only be used for wet mopping, right? Why else would you have a wringer? I use it for wet mopping. I even mopped today! Woo hoo!

ilovetivo
01-12-2007, 08:47 AM
I'll have to check when i go return the big one. But i assume it was that too. I didn't look at it closely b/c he said you couldn't use it w/ water. I think the box said dry only too. I'll check. Thx!

ilovetivo
01-12-2007, 08:47 AM
I'll have to check when i go return the big one. But i assume it was that too. I didn't look at it closely b/c he said you couldn't use it w/ water. I think the box said dry only too. I'll check. Thx!

s7714
01-12-2007, 05:16 PM
That's total BS that the microfiber would be for dry only. Part of the genius behind microfiber cloth is that it cleans so well when it's damp with just water!

I bought my microfiber mop at Target a while back, not a Casabella, but similar in style.

Jennifer
Mommy to
Miss Pure Energy 3/03
Miss Limit Tester 6/05

s7714
01-12-2007, 05:16 PM
That's total BS that the microfiber would be for dry only. Part of the genius behind microfiber cloth is that it cleans so well when it's damp with just water!

I bought my microfiber mop at Target a while back, not a Casabella, but similar in style.

Jennifer
Mommy to
Miss Pure Energy 3/03
Miss Limit Tester 6/05

DrSally
01-13-2007, 12:19 PM
I know I'm late, but I tried to reply earlier and my computer froze up. We take our shoes off every time we come in the house, and no pets. So, I try to dry swiffer once a week, mostly for dust bunnies and bits of food. I have a swiffer vacuum that vacuums and has the dry cloth on it if there are a lot of chunks. Thinking of getting one of those stick vacs though. Then, I found a swiffer wet jet knockoff at BJ's that seems sturdier (ie, you can put more pressure on it), and you can refill it with anything. So, I put in water and a bit of murphy's oil soap. It has disposable or microfiber cloths. I use the microfiber b/c there's less drag and moisture left on the floors. If I'm just doing the bathrooms, I bought some generic wet swiffer pads and just put them onto my dry swiffer stick--enough moisture for a small bathroom.

Bens Momma
01-17-2007, 10:28 PM
A follow-up on the mop and vinegar spray. I went to Target the other day and couldn't figure out which mop to get. Is the microfiber one you are talking about the Real Simple brand that has a sponge with microfiber outer-layer? Couldn't find a Target or Method store brand. Also, do you just spray and mop (after vacuuming)? No rinsing right?

TIA-
Ben & Will's Momma

caheinz
01-17-2007, 11:17 PM
We just switched to this method ourselves, but we did end up with the Real Simple mop from Target you described. It was less than half the price of the Casabella I saw at the Container Store, and the Real Simple one may be made by Casabella (it's at least distributed by them).

The main difference I could see between the two was how the pad attached to the mop handle. (Snaps in RS, hook-and-loop in Casabella.) The handle of the Casabella was probably nicer, but the RS one is working fine for our floors!

I did notice a spot for a Target-branded one (maybe in the Michael Graves line?), but they were out of the mops and the refills...

Bens Momma
01-18-2007, 09:49 AM
Thanks, I will be heading back to Target today/tomorrow and will probably end up getting the Real Simple one. It looked nice and was reasonably priced. Have your pads held up well? I noticed it said you could wash them in the washing machine on gentle cycle. It seemed a little odd to me as I wondered how the sponge part underneath would wash up and hold up after doing this. Have you tried this? Do they clean up well and hold up after washing?

ellies mom
01-18-2007, 04:02 PM
I use 3M's Scotch brand mop. I bought mine at Target. The handle is yellow and the microfiber part is blue. It is all cloth and there is a pocket on each end, that slides over the "holder". So there is no sponge part to worry about.

I don't rinse after mopping. I just sweep/vacuum and then damp mop with the vinegar/water mixture.

caheinz
01-18-2007, 11:31 PM
Don't know yet... we just got it last weekend! :-)

I did grab an extra pad, so I'll probably wash this one when it needs it, and then just replace it if it doesn't survive.

The Casabella I saw definitely had a sponge part, though. The only part that looked different was the layer where it attaches to the handle.

squimp
01-18-2007, 11:45 PM
I have a Casabella one with the sponge under the scrubber microfiber part. I've washed it several times in the washer and it has held up well.