PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone seen this PBK Kitchen?

aahjed
01-06-2007, 09:20 PM
Someone is selling this on my local craigslist, but I can't find it on the current pottery barn website. Does anyone have any info on it?

Thanks!

pittsburghgirl
01-06-2007, 10:38 PM
I recall it from my local PBK store, it's cute. What info are you looking for?

Marilee
mommy to James
http://b3.lilypie.com/CSwdm4.png

taraalissa
01-06-2007, 10:44 PM
We have that one. It's the Metro Kitchen. DS loves it!

mommyapb
01-06-2007, 11:02 PM
Do an advanced search for play kitchens. I remember reading a post about it. It is line from a year or two ago--it was their metro kitchen or something like that. Looks like it is in good shape.

HTH

smilequeen
01-06-2007, 11:34 PM
We have that one, got it last Christmas. We love it. DS loves it and it is still in great shape. The only problem we had was when we first got it, he would stand on the dishwasher door when it was open and he managed to pop the screws out. We fixed that though, and put it away until he was mature enough not to do that.

ADK
01-07-2007, 06:06 PM
Angela,

I think I can help. I work at PBK. :-)

Those are from the "Metro" kitchen collection. It is not a current line, it was phased out last summer. FWIW, the current ones are Retro (pink or red) and Pro Chef (S/S).

Be advised that the seller is quoting the "New" prices innacurately. They were NOT $400/each new, they were $249/each new, the same price as the current Retro pieces. In fact, even the more expensive Pro Chef line is $299/each new. Anyway all of the current ones are on sale now at PBK, but the point is that the Metro was never as expensive as the seller is saying. Obviously he/she is trying to make the "sale" price look better.

Personally I like the Metro but not at that price, especially when used.

HTH,
Jason

kijip
01-07-2007, 06:38 PM
That is the one we have- The Metro Kitchen. It is pretty nice. I got it on CL for $75. I like that it matches my son's blue furniture nicely.

August Mom
01-07-2007, 07:39 PM
We have it and love it! It is the Metro kitchen. I think that it is great for both boys and girls. It is my favorite PBK kitchen. Things that I really like - the doors on the refrigerator are magnetic, so you can use magnets on it; the pot rack looks cool and it is handy to hang pots or utensils; there is storage in the island. Things that aren't as good - the sink is really small, the work space on the island is small, the hot water is on the right and the cold water is on the left.

Also, the oven is not as deep as some because there is storage on the other side. So, for instance, the M&D wooden pizza will fit in the oven, but not on it's tray. One other thing to keep in mind is space because it does have an island configuration, so the child needs to be able to access both sides. If you put it against the wall, you'll need to put its side against the wall and allow enough space on either side for the child to stand and play. I think I paid $200/piece during the F&F sale last year.

Good luck.

pinkmomagain
01-08-2007, 10:10 AM
Jason, I'm shopping for a new PBK Kitchen (not sure if I'll go with classic, retro or pro chef)....any advice on how to get the best possible price? I guess I'd prefer buying from the store or outlet so that I don't have to pay shipping.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Gina

ADK
01-08-2007, 06:40 PM
Hi Gina,

Sorry for the delay, just got home from work. :-)

I can't speak for the outlets, since there aren't any near me (darn!). The classic line is not sold in stores, so I guess that leaves you with Retro or Pro Chef. Some of the pieces are on sale now (all of Pro Chef I think and some of the Retro), and obviously there is usually a savings if 2 or more pieces are purchased together. Other than that, you can ask your store if they will sell you the floor model. You're smart to try saving on shipping, since it would probably be forty bucks for just one piece.

Jason

bcafe
01-08-2007, 11:51 PM
I went to the local PBK to check out the Pro chef series (sounds like real appliances!). Anyway the floor models were being sold for 1/2 off as they were pretty dinged. I hemmed and hawed and finally called them back, well, they had gotten more instock and would not sell the floor models to me. Darn! A day late....as the saying goes.

ADK
01-09-2007, 12:38 AM
Half off would have been pretty good actually. Most floor models are discounted 30%. Obviously I didn't see them so I can't know how dinged they were, but keep in mind that new pieces will look decidely less than new after enthusiastic use.

The Pro Chef line looks a lot like Sub Zero. I especially like the fridge, it looks like a wine refrigerator, it's even got a light. :-)

ADK
01-09-2007, 12:38 AM
(duplicate)

pinkmomagain
01-09-2007, 10:28 AM
I called the PBK outlet nearest me and they said they had this line (pro chef)in the outlet (they said they also had the metro line). As I understand it, the outlet is generally 20% less than in store.

I'm so confused as to which line to get. The classic would look best in the spot I want it but, not too many bells & whistles and I'd have to pay for shipping. The retro has lots of bells & whistles (my 10 yo was having a ball with it at the store the other day)...but I don't know if I can look at all that pink all day (the pink & the red would pretty much clash with my family room)! The pro chef is kind of what falls in between....has some bells & whistles and at least it has kind of a neutral "stainless steel" look.

Any opinions?

Gina

bcafe
01-09-2007, 12:05 PM
Go for the Prochef. I am going to suck up the price and get the set too. I think the red retro is TDF, however, the shipping + delivery surcharges are outrageous. It's too bad the stores don't carry the red set. Anyway, go for the prochef. Resale will be great (I would think).

pinkmomagain
01-09-2007, 02:44 PM
Thanks, Betsy. I just may take a ride out to the outlet and get the prochef. Do you think the island needs to stand away from the wall to access both sides? Or can I put it up against a wall? I know the dishwasher is on one side...don't think there is anything else on the other side, is there?

Gina

DDowning
01-09-2007, 06:21 PM
You can put the island against the wall. There's nothing on the other side of the dishwasher, just the see through shelf under the sink. Just know that if you put batteries in the "dishwasher" the kids like to turn it on and walk away. Drives me a litty batty sometimes because its more of a rattling then a washing sound. It should have had a built in timer.

pinkmomagain
01-09-2007, 07:23 PM
Thanks for posting this....I remember reading your comment about this on a different thread.

Overall, are you happy with this kitchen...are you glad you picked this one? How is it holding up? Is your youngest playing with it much? It's primarily for my youngest dd who is a few months younger than yours...of course (believe it or not) my 7 and 10 yo dd's will probably be playing with it too (at least in the beginning when it's a novelty.

My god, I've completely hijacked this thread which was originally about metro. I feel terrible.

Anyway, if you feel like sharing your experience with this kitchen, please do.

Gina

DDowning
01-09-2007, 09:18 PM
Yes, we're really happy with the set. I think the 1 year old (soon to be 2) plays with it just as much as the 3 year old does. I'm making dinner right now - its spaghetti and meat ball night. They're cooking too - I gave them some dry spaghetti noodles and they are both in their right now "cooking" away. One's standing on one side and my DD is standing right next to him wearing her apron. Its quite cute! :)