PDA

View Full Version : Indoor Swings for Autistic Child

imharpersmom
01-08-2007, 02:11 PM
DD is autistic and one of her "self-stims" is rocking back and forth on her knees either on the floor or on our furniture. However, during her OT sessions, she spends much of her time swinging on a swing, and it really seems to help calm/sooth her.
In a couple weeks we are moving into a new house and will have a playroom where we are planning to put equipment for her therapy. I was wondering if anyone has a swing inside their home? I know Ikea has a couple on their website, but I wondered if anyone could recommend any others? I know DD would enjoy it, and our furniture could certainly use a break from her continuously rocking on it!
Just wondering if anyone has any they can recommend?!

Thanks so much!

Erin

Harper 9.22.04
Gibson 1.19.06

crl
01-08-2007, 03:24 PM
I'm sorry I can't recmmend any. When I saw your post, I thought of the Ikea ones. DS has sensory issues and after we move, I'd like to get him one of these. I'm sure some of the therapy catalogs have things, maybe your OT would have some suggestions. I think one of the therapy catalogs is called southpaw? Also I think I've seen some that mount in the door jamb in more mainstream catalongs, maybe Sensational Beginnings or Leaps and Bounds? Good luck and if you find something great, I'd love to hear about it! (Oh, and if she likes to spin, you can get sit n spins with no sounds or lights--ours is from Back to Basics Toys.)

alleyoop
01-08-2007, 03:59 PM
Haba makes the Ikarus, and a couple others that look cool!

http://www.maukilo.com/advanced_search_result.php?search_in_description=1&action=product_search&keywords=swings

hth!

MarisaSF
01-08-2007, 06:00 PM
My friend has this and the kids love it!
http://www.onestepahead.com/product/117/377/117.html

emschwar
01-09-2007, 09:30 PM
One of the articles in wonder time this month mentioned indoor swings for children with disabilities. I'll get the website for you!

emschwar
01-09-2007, 09:33 PM
it says "See hammocks.com for indoor swings starting at $50"

imharpersmom
01-09-2007, 09:56 PM
Thanks so much for all the recommendations! I really appreciate it!

Erin

shilo
01-11-2007, 04:32 AM
i haven't done any ped's since before my internship, so my ped's book marks may be a little out of date. sorry in advance if any of these aren't what you're looking for. try abilitations.com or takeaswing.com. also, have you tried ebay? there are a lot of people who sell therapy equipment on ebay now. i'd try searching for autism or occupational therapy paired with swing, you might get some hits. i've found PT stuff for my patients before this way.
hth, lori
Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.