PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have 2 train/activity tables?

SpaceGal
01-10-2007, 06:22 PM
So I hit our Target today and had to return Cranky the Crane because he was just awful his boom kept falling off. Anyways, since I was (luckily) able to return it without a receipt, I only could find the little tree train/activity table on clearance for $20. Since Christmas just passed and DS has a birthday coming I felt like any more "extra" toys would be really overkill. I TRY to not go overboard with his toys, so I grabbed the table since it was a STEAL at $20. We already have the old version the plain white little tree table and we love it even though I paid full price then.

So is it stupid to have two tables? I figured I can put one upstairs in his room so he can play his other stuff on it, like his lego or cars. His current table, DS will only play trains on. He removes anything else on it. For $20 bucks it's not going to kill the budget but you know it's a big peice of "furniture" and I still have to tell DH about the second table thing. Just curious that I'm not being crazy for thinking 2 tables isn't so bad. DS does also have a small table and chair set for arts/crafts. What do you all think or have in your play/arts & crafts collections?

imharpersmom
01-10-2007, 09:18 PM
We have the same issue. I bought TWO more train tables a couple days ago because they were $20 and I couldn't pass them up. We already have the Costco table in our playroom (though it's temporarily broken because DD was jumping on it). We're moving into a new house next week, and DCs will finally have their own rooms, so I figured we could put the Costco table in the playroom and one in each of the kid's rooms. I may just give one of them to our niece for her birthday too... I don't know. It just seemed like too good of a deal to pass up, but now what are we going to do with them? I would appreciate any advice people have too!

Erin

deannanb
01-10-2007, 09:20 PM
for $20 I'd keep it!
I will have to go to Target tomorrow and see if they have one.

I think if you have the room.... you can put legos/blocks on one and a train set on the other

jess_g
01-10-2007, 09:20 PM
I think its OK as long as you have the space for the second table. We have one train table downstairs and one upstairs in my sons bedroom. He plays with both but the downstairs one gets much more playtime since he is downstairs more when he is playing.

Just wanted to let you know that we have 2 tables too.

Jessica.

SpaceGal
01-10-2007, 10:48 PM
Yes I totally agree $20 for a table of any sort is a great deal...too hard to pass up. The one at our store had 5 left, I would have bought an extra one or two but hard to know how other friends would love or hate the design on it.

I did run it by DH and he was alright with the idea. I told a few friends about the Target deal and seeing as I could probably garage sale it later why not just get it. No local friends that would need one as a gift or anything so one was a good call for us.

I guess parts of me just feels like I don't want to "spoil" DS and yeah $20 is still $20 if you know what I mean. *sigh* so hard not to spoil them. Now DH just has to get it out of my car. :) So

ksli
01-11-2007, 01:28 PM
Grrr, our Target (in Southern California) has them on clearance, but for $56! Still a good price, but I'm not sure I'll bite.
Kathleen

AJs Mommy
01-11-2007, 01:52 PM
We also have two train tables, both the huge Thomas ones. We keep the trains on top of one table top with extras in the bins under the table. The second table top holds all the train accessories (bridges, stations, sheds, etc) with the bins holding the tracks. My boys play with Thomas all day, everyday, and build the tracks over the entire playroom floor.

EDITED TO ADD: If someone can clue me in how to add photos I'll add pix of our set-up. I keep getting error messages...

justlearning
01-11-2007, 04:32 PM
We have a train table in our playroom in the basement with trains and unit blocks in its drawers, so that's what that table is usually used for. We have a second train table upstairs in our DS#2's bedroom (I just moved it there because I got tired of tripping over toys in our upstairs loft) that's used for Little People stuff and other toys. DS#1 also likes playing there with DS#2, but I wouldn't keep a second table if I just had one toddler. BTW, we also have a separate arts/craft table off of our kitchen.

If you decide you don't need two tables, I'm guessing that you could sell the table for at least $40 on your local craigslist.

giavila
01-11-2007, 07:50 PM
I say if you have the space for it and you think they will get used go for it. Like others mentioned... you can always sell it.

Can anybody give me more info on this table? I might be looking for one for DD's room, is it white or natural wood color, can anyone post the dimensions? Do you all like it? thank for the help!

SpaceGal
01-11-2007, 09:07 PM
Well I talked to DH and he said for $20 we should keep it and have something for DS to have to play with in his room since right now all DS will have is a dresser, his toy box if we move it up and his bed. Plus at $20, I can probably garage sale it later for the same amount. We are expecting a new baby come March so it won't be like one kid has two tables. And according to DH he wants 3-5 kids...hahahahaha but that's not the point.

The tabels dimensions are
15 3/4 H
46 3/4 W
34 5/16 D

It's got a train design on the outside on what looks like natural wood color. The play surface looks to have a design of like background design, water and land and stuff like that. It has twoflip down storage bins on two sides. I haven't put it together yet, I will later when DS is asleep, so I can give more details and a review of it compared to the old little tree table (plain white with the plain green play surface).

I found a picture on eBay so maybe that will help you make a desicion. I suppose if you really hate the design you can paint over it.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Little-Tree-Train-Table-with-storage-bins_W0QQitemZ200067322917QQihZ010QQcategoryZ11351 7QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

giavila
01-11-2007, 11:10 PM
Thanks for the info! Sounds like a great deal!

SpaceGal
01-12-2007, 09:36 AM
So I put the table together last night. At first, I thought that table was made by Maxim like the former train table (white with green) was, but it's actually made by KidKraft since some of the hardware packaged for the flip down storage drawers had the KidKraft logo.

Anyways, the drawers are a bit of a pain to put together but nothing horrible just not as easy as the former table since it's kind of odd shaped (not a square). The table itself comes together easily. It has one middle support beam, unlike the former table that has two support beams. The new table also has a lower lip for keeping the toys on the table maybe about half an inch high along the longer sides of the table and about an inch along the short edges where the drawers are. The drawers don't hold as much as the former table but better than nothing. The train design on the table is very nice...it's not quite what I would describe as painted on but more like a thin decal laminate that goes over the natural wood, if that makes any sense. I could see where it might start peeling off because on ours, there was a teeny tiny piece that lifted off the edge and I peeled it off.

Overall, I feel like the older table is sturdier and wood parts seems to be heavier. I like that the older ones had those carry handles to make it easier for moving around, and I like that it has two support beams since I know how kids love to climb and sit on the table. But for $20 buck, or even if it were at full price of $80, the newly designed one isn't bad either. My husband said it was cute and thought it was still nice. Plus, we had consider buying a playmat/playboard from PBK and that alone was $19 for a cardboard one...so this works out nicer.

Since we had both versions of the little tree table, I can say they are both the same size roughly. I took the plain green boards from my older one and managed to put them in the newer one. The new one has a painted background scenery design on the playboard so I thought it would dress up the old table a bit.

I've never "reviewed" anything before so I hope it helps those who just wanted to know.

SpaceGal
01-12-2007, 09:36 AM
So I put the table together last night. At first, I thought that table was made by Maxim like the former train table (white with green) was, but it's actually made by KidKraft since some of the hardware packaged for the flip down storage drawers had the KidKraft logo.

Anyways, the drawers are a bit of a pain to put together but nothing horrible just not as easy as the former table since it's kind of odd shaped (not a square). The table itself comes together easily. It has one middle support beam, unlike the former table that has two support beams. The new table also has a lower lip for keeping the toys on the table maybe about half an inch high along the longer sides of the table and about an inch along the short edges where the drawers are. The drawers don't hold as much as the former table but better than nothing. The train design on the table is very nice...it's not quite what I would describe as painted on but more like a thin decal laminate that goes over the natural wood, if that makes any sense. I could see where it might start peeling off because on ours, there was a teeny tiny piece that lifted off the edge and I peeled it off.

Overall, I feel like the older table is sturdier and wood parts seems to be heavier. I like that the older ones had those carry handles to make it easier for moving around, and I like that it has two support beams since I know how kids love to climb and sit on the table. But for $20 buck, or even if it were at full price of $80, the newly designed one isn't bad either. My husband said it was cute and thought it was still nice. Plus, we had consider buying a playmat/playboard from PBK and that alone was $19 for a cardboard one...so this works out nicer.

Since we had both versions of the little tree table, I can say they are both the same size roughly. I took the plain green boards from my older one and managed to put them in the newer one. The new one has a painted background scenery design on the playboard so I thought it would dress up the old table a bit.

I've never "reviewed" anything before so I hope it helps those who just wanted to know.