PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone want to dream with me? The ideal outdoor patio playroom

bisous
01-12-2007, 11:14 PM
Hi folks! We live in a small apartment in the city that doesn't have much space but are blessed to have a patio with dimensions 10 X 15 and high 5 foot walls surrounding it. It is concrete and not terribly inviting at this time. But I have this dream of turning it into kiddie paradise. While we don't have a ton of money, I'm open to all kinds of ideas. I though it might be fun to think of creative ways of using outdoor space to be really magical for a child. I should add that we live in So. Cal so actually my DS would actually be able to play most of the year.

Here are some ideas that I had. I thought that it would be fun to have a theme. One I thought of was Richard Scarry's Busy Town which would accomodate many different types of ideas. He has a tricycle and some ride on vehicles. I thought I could make a little "garage" that could house the trike. A sandbox could be a mini playground in the middle of a "road" created from outdoor carpeting of some sort. A little house could be added complete with really tiny detail. I know that this is probably making it more complicated than it needs to be but it is fun to dream--especially when IRL funds are limited. :)

Anyone want to play?

cstack
01-13-2007, 12:06 PM
Aw, that sounds really cute, and actually would not have to be really expensive. The back drops of the Richard Scarry books are not overly complicated, so why not take some artist's canvas (canvas drop cloths would work, too) and paint a town to go around the perimeter (hang it on the surrounding wall). That alone would make it more child friendly and inviting. If you're not super artistic (or are timidly afraid you'll mess up), I got an art projector thing (you set it over what you want to copy and it projects the image to a wall) at AC Moore for $15 on sale (I see them on sale all the time and I think they're like $20 regularly). You could then just get some Scarry books to copy from. If you own your apartment (or think it would be OK with the landlord - or it's alreay painted and you can just paint back if you move) you could paint it right on the wall and save the cost of buying the canvas.

Watch consignment shops (or Goodwill/Salvation Army type stores) for a playhouse (or, two, if you remove the table and door of a Little Tykes type house, it would work beautifully as a garage). A garage would also be fairly simple to construct if you, or someone you know, is even a little handy. One, thing, though, with the playhouse/garage, make sure you keep them against the "house" wall of the patio and in the middle, so that if ds to climb on them, he would not be able to fall over the surrounding wall.

You might go to some carpet stores and ask them about remnants that might be available to you for cheap. Because it can be somewhat stylized, even small remnants or samples could be used and simply duct taped together to any configuration you find pleasing. If you explain what you are trying to do, you may even be able to get some of it for free (odd shaped scraps that would get tossed might work beautifully for what you want).

I can see it now, you may even make a magazine or an HGTV show about doing a child's fantasy land on a budget!

emilyf
01-13-2007, 05:06 PM
I don't have any great ideas-but will be watching for inspiration for our outside space. The HGTV show Urban Outsiders has great ideas for small space gardening/landscaping.
Emily mom of Charlie born 11/02 and Zoe born 9/05

DAKnits
01-14-2007, 04:01 PM
I love the idea of the fake grass! You might want to also have an area that's covered with the rubber tiles for a more firm surface to play on, and for the ride-on toys to ride more smoothly. I just picked up a playmat for $12.99 that's great for playing with trains and other playsets that need a really firm surface. I'm not sure how easy it will be to ride smoothly over the "grass."

I would also include a playhouse (there are always on sale on craigslist you just have to be quick to respond). DD LOVES hers, as well as her Little Tikes large picnic table (the picnic table is ESSENTIAL for us to enjoy the outdoors b/c this is where we eat, color, do playdoh, etc...). How about filling some big plastic flower pots with toys in keeping with the oudoor theme? I would also include some sort of tent -- a pop up tent is great b/c they're easy to put away if you want to make room for something else. DD LOVES to hide in things!!! The little sandbox could be filled with ball pit balls -- this is always a HUGE hit with kids. Also, I'd consider having balls and a basket ball hoop.

Do you have an activity table with a lip? If not, I wold consider getting one to use with all the playsets, trains, etc....

Here are more ideas .... if my playroom was big enough, and I was able to create my dream playhouse, it would include:

a dress-up salon type area with DD's costume box (which is filled to the brim) and a tall mirror

a "nursery" with her baby dolls cradles and cribs, the doll highchairs, the doll playpen

a reading corner with books and a comfy chair

a table and chair set for eating, coloring, puzzles etc....

an activity table for the trains and playsets

a ride-on area, or place for DD's rocking horse

DD's Kidkraft kitchen, grocery cart, and a separate "store" with cash register

an art easel and cart with supplies

a basket ball hoop and bin of balls -- I also just saw a bowling pin set that looked like a lot of fun.

on the walls, I would have mirrors, chalkboards, magnetic boards

I'd put hooks on the wall and string up fishing wire to hang up art work

a "plush" area filled with stuffed animals -- right now I have several areas, but the best solution I've seen is a cute hamper (ours is a ladybug, but I also have a duck and a frog that are sitting in the closet waiting to be used).

And plenty of storage -- a mix of modular cubbies and bin storage

HTH!!

lizamann
01-16-2007, 03:20 PM
Take advantage of you SoCal climate and grow a bunch of stuff in containers. Flowers and other plants will do a ton to make it more inviting. My dd loved "gardening" with me on our deck. You can let him plant stuff and water it. You can grow just about anything you want in pots. My dd was wild about sunflowers last summer, so we grew a bunch. Does he like veggies? You can grow some of his favorites.