PDA

View Full Version : Settle a discussion with DH - do coloring books limit creativity?

dules
01-13-2007, 03:10 PM
DD has mostly had plain paper, construction paper, etc. and crayons/markers/paint. I got her a small coloring book for a recent trip and she was mesmerized. I thought it was great because she could trace and really touch/interact with the pictures and shapes using her crayons (whereas she knows regular books are not for drawing).

DH thought it was a cop out of some sort, stifling to her own creativity, to give her other pictures to color. This never occurred to me and I was so happy to see how much she enjoyed it.

Thoughts anyone? :)

TIA!

Mary

lilycat88
01-13-2007, 03:42 PM
I don't think so. IF you were standing over her commanding her to stay within the lines and color things the "appropriate" color, I'd say yes. But, just to color, no. We give DD a lot of coloring sheets that I get online that are just shapes or grids and she gets a kick out of putting different colors in each block or naming and coloring the shapes. She's not ventured into much "real" coloring book stuff yet.

brittone2
01-13-2007, 04:31 PM
Susan STriker would say yes I guess (I haven't read Young At Art though). She actually has "uncoloring" books...I think you can find them on amazon, etc.

I think they are only limiting (JMO) if you encourage staying in the lines ;)

SnuggleBuggles
01-13-2007, 05:01 PM
I think coloring books are fine. :) I could see a possible concern with stiffling creativity if you make them stay in the lines or use only certain colors.

I think there are pros and cons to coloring books and blank paper.

I never thought of your dh's POV before. It's an interesting consideration.

Beth

shishamo
01-13-2007, 05:01 PM
As long as it's her choice to whether pick a coloring book or a plain white paper, I don't think it will limit her creativity. We have both (and 99% of the time they just want plain white paper). I actually think coloring inside the line is fun for a certain aged child who is refining a fine motor coordination - sort of a challenge to yourself to see if you can stay inside the line, you know? I'm sure once that skill is mastered (in his or her own timeframe), the child will find it boring and move on. I never encouraged to stay within the lines, BTW.

emilyf
01-13-2007, 05:03 PM
I loved coloring books when I was little. I don't think they encourage creativity necessarily, but I think they can be good for other skills-fine motor development, drawing skills etc- I think as long as you are offering all kinds of art activities, coloring books are fine.
Emily mom of Charlie born 11/02 and Zoe born 9/05

egoldber
01-13-2007, 07:33 PM
My MIL is a former early education art teacher and she said to never buy coloring books. But my DD enjoys them so much and I've never been a "you must color in the lines" kind of mom, although I have seen that sort of thing in action. DD is also still happy to just use plain paper too.

dules
01-13-2007, 08:23 PM
I'm not a color inside the lines kind of person and I don't care what colors she chooses so I guess I'll keep buying them for her now and then. It does seem like a good motor activity and of course, we always have plain paper and the chalkboard. :)

Thanks again!

Mary