PDA

View Full Version : baby fell out of high chair

signsing
01-15-2007, 12:42 PM
I have the Eddie Bauer wooden high chair. Got it for DS#1 in 2004. The harness is stupid! DS can stand right up when harnessed. Then fall on his head. He has a lump on his head at the moment from falling yesterday. My mom was sitting at the table but could't get to him before he crashed. It only takes a split second. Any ideas on how to make this harness better? Any after market stuff out there that really works? I love the high chair otherwise, It fits nicely in my kitchen and the tray is great. How do I make it safer? I sent an email to the manufacturer but who knows what kind of response I'll get from that.

Betsey

SnuggleBuggles
01-15-2007, 01:29 PM
Is the seat 3 or 5pt harness?

I hope he is OK! My little guy stood once when I just had the 3pt harness rigged. I quickly put the 5pt harness together and it helped if I kept it snug. He eventually figured out how to get his arms out of the 5pt but not till he was olde rand I didn't have to worry as much.

Beth

signsing
01-16-2007, 10:40 AM
He is okay, a lump on his head but otherwise okay. Its a 3 point harness. Its set up really strange and he can stand up in it while its still snug around his waist. There is too much play in it. I rigged a bungee cord around him this morning and it seemed to work. Now my concern is my 3yo trying to undo the bungee cord. He could lose an eye! So I have to come up with a more permanent solution. For temporary the bungee works though.
Betsey

Tondi G
01-16-2007, 10:02 PM
I would buy a new high chair! Chances are now that he knows he can free himself he'll keep trying! How about one of the ones that fits on an existing chair??? Fisher Price makes a nicer looking one!

http://www.fisher-price.com/fp.aspx?st=2011&e=detail&selcat=bgh&pid=35236

Good Luck!

~Tondi

signsing
01-17-2007, 05:57 PM
Here is what customer service had to say:

Thank you for contacting Dorel Juvenile Group Consumer Relations. We
apologize for any delay in answering your email.

Is your child alright?

I cannot recommend altering the strap in any way as this is the way this
high chair was manufactured.

Make sure when fastening the harness so that you can slide a finger
between the strap and your child.

I send a reply, perhaps someone has to be seriously injured for them to take this seriously. Anyway in the meantime I ordered the leacho ready wrap. I"m on my way out of town for a couple of weeks to visit the inlaws. When I return I"ll see if the ready wrap remedies the situation. It should arrive while I"m away.

Thanks
Betsey