PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone moved their CedarWorks playset?

dules
01-17-2007, 10:11 PM
Wondering how it worked - who disassembled it, who moved it, ballpark cost and how it worked out (did it reassemble as sturdy on the other end, etc.).

TIA!

Mary

cstack
01-17-2007, 10:28 PM
how big is it and how far are you moving. I know someone who moved a fairly large wooden playset by simply putting it, fully assembled, on the back of a large pick up truck. It was a short hop move, though, so all they had to do was drive really slowly.

lmintzer
01-17-2007, 10:33 PM
We moved ours across the country. We have a Junge/Box Tower with a 3 swing bar. I can't tell you how much it cost, because it was included in our move (which was paid for by my dh's dept.).

The movers disassembled it. But they didn't disassemble it down to boards. They took took of the yard arms, took the swing bar out, took the slide off, etc. And then they put the pieces inside the truck. EXCEPT for the Jungle structure which they piggybacked on the back of the moving truck on a little platform. It was pretty wild looking. I kept imagining them stopping at rest stops, only to find small children climbing all over it when they returned to the truck.

We called Cedarworks and got the name of an installer where we were moving. The cost to put it back together wasn't bad--I believe it was about $150.

It seems just as sturdy now as it did before. Our current yard is less level, and it had to be shimmed up a bit, but the set itself is fine.

Hope that helps.

dules
01-17-2007, 11:34 PM
Thanks Lisa. We will pay for our own move (yikes) so I'm a little nervous about moving our set! We have a climber/tower/3 swing ladder. DH thinks it needs to come down to boards, I'm wondering if there's a way to take some of it assembled.

Of course, it was over $3K and is only 6 months old so I would hate to leave it or sell it. :(

I'd have loved to have seen a jungle on the back of a moving truck on the Interstate! What a hoot!

Mary

tny915
01-18-2007, 12:32 PM
Before buying ours, I visited a family as part of the see-a-set program. They had a huge set that they had just moved to their house -- a jumbo, swing arm, and a gazebo. They hired movers and didn't disassemble the set entirely. I think they said it was moved on a flat bed truck. I climbed up on it and it felt very sturdy.

I think the cost of the moving it would be well worth it, because otherwise you'll be spending another $3K to get a new set at your new house. DH and I aren't very handy, so if we ever move, we're definitely hiring an installer to take apart and put the set back together at the new location.

LisaMom2Allie
01-19-2007, 07:32 PM
My BIL owns a car lot and has a big flat bed car hauler and that is how we moved DD's swingset, it has a hook(like a tow truck does) and it just pulled it onto the ramp(was guided by 3 men but the truck was pulling the weight) and it was just fine.

Good luck and check with some independent car dealers/lots or wrecker service. My husband has a friend who owns a garage and he actually moved a huge vault/safe out of someones house with the wrecker-they did have to take out a window so the wreckers hook/boom would go in to lift it out.

Lisa
Mom to Allie Nicole
3-10-03

joyelyse
01-21-2007, 11:59 AM
Not CedarWorks, but I did move a Rainbow. It cost me $500 to have it disassembled (partly, just big pieces) moved 45 minutes and reassembled. I called another company and they were a little less, but I just went with the Rainbow installer, since they know their sets so well. Good luck!