PDA

View Full Version : Graco imonitor vs Sony baby call

Eileen
01-20-2007, 12:10 PM
We are trying to decide if we should get the digital Graco imonitor or the Sony 27 channel. I know the Sony has recieved good reviews and the imonitor is new to the market. Has anyone had any experience with either?

daniele_ut
01-20-2007, 12:46 PM
We looked at both and I ended up getting the iMonitor on clearance for $30. I have been really happy with it overall. It has transmitted clearly with no static at all and we have no problem with the range in our 1600sf 2 story home. It works fine all over our front and back yard as well. If I turn it up to the most sensitive setting, I can hear DS breathing.

My only complaint thus far is that the rechargeable battery has a relatively short life and that low battery warning beep is very quiet.

new_mommy25
01-20-2007, 01:46 PM
I love my babycall. 3 years later it's still going strong.

Our monitor for DD is the Phillips. I really like that one as well though I don't think the range is as long as the Babycall.

Both are static free.

I've never heard of the Graco until now. I just googled it and it looks cool. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

MarisaSF
01-20-2007, 06:47 PM
Daniele-
Did you get it on clearance online or in a store? It sounds really nice and I'm looking for a monitor with two receivers, but am finding it online for $90!
TIA!

daniele_ut
01-20-2007, 07:17 PM
Marisa - it was just on some random clearance shelf at Wal-mart last May. I thought it was odd that they were clearancing out a brand new product, but I was happy to find it for that price right as our very old FP Sound and Lights monitor was on it's last legs. I got the one receiver , though that is normally around $60. I think the $90 price is for the 2 receiver one.

MarisaSF
01-20-2007, 07:24 PM
Thanks, Daniele! Our F&P Sounds and Lights receiver is currently only working on battery mode. The cord thing broke, so we are looking for a new one too.
I'm in the camp that thinks "They're all gonna break. Might as well get a cheap one." :P
You got a great deal!

LisaMom2Allie
01-20-2007, 07:26 PM
We have the Sony Baby Call and it will soon be 4 years old-yes, I still use a monitor. I have never had to change the battery and it works perfectly, never any static or interference.

Lisa
Mom to Allie Nicole
3-10-03

Lilysmom06
01-20-2007, 07:46 PM
We also have the Sony, and haven't had any problems with it at all. I would definitely recommend it.

Kathy

jd11365
01-20-2007, 08:12 PM
I just bought the Sony. I like that it is water resistant. My friend hangs hers from a high suction hook she put in her shower. I think that's a great idea!

HHCs Mom
01-24-2007, 03:01 PM
We like our Sony, too. Using it right now as a matter of fact! We've used it almost 3 years and will use it with #2 when he shows up.

Kim
~ mama to a sweet boy named Harrison ~ 4.6.04
...and #2 due 5.24.07!

supercalifragilous
01-26-2007, 06:14 PM
I noticed this in the Winter 2007 issue, page 89:

They tested 14 and had 3 Smart Picks (Graco iMonitor, Summer Infant Secure Sounds, and Philips SCD 589).

This was their blurb about the Graco iMonitor:

Graco iMonitor
Price: $90
Why we like it: Protects your privacy and, like the other Smart Picks, it transmits even soft cries. It has two receivers.

Tondi G
01-26-2007, 06:32 PM
we've had the sony for almost 2 years now and so far it's been great! I've never heard of the Graco... off to check it out! :)

~Tondi

HallsofVA
01-27-2007, 12:30 PM
We have 2 Sony monitors going inour house these days and love both of them. One is going on 3 years.

matthewsmom
01-27-2007, 12:40 PM
I had the Graco monitor with my first DS. But that was 3 1/2 years ago. Hated it. I got so much static and could hear my neighbors conversations. It was horrible. Ended up returning it because it just kept me awake. I have the Phillips one. I love it. It also shows us the temperature of DD's room. It nice knowing whether she is cold or not. I love how I never hear static. The only thing is that the rechargeable battery really isn't working anymore. I just leave it on the base.

AddiesMom
01-30-2007, 08:55 AM
We have the Sony and so far so good. Doesn't screw up the wireless network in our house. Ironically, the only inerference I got was last week, when a snow plow went by the house. It must of had some type of GPS system on it that messed with the monitor.

sunnhappy
03-26-2007, 10:53 PM
I just returned my Sony Baby call and currently have the Graco iMonitor. I may actually go BACK to the Baby Call.

The Baby Call gives a lot of static when a cell phone rings (that's our only phone, so it's an issue for us) and sometimes clicks for no apparent reason. Other than that, I liked it.

However, the iMonitor is okay, but I just found out that if there is a power interruption the CHILD unit turns off. The parent unit lets you know this, but you must go into your child's room to turn the unit back on. I don't like this. The battery life is VERY low, too.

I am also trying out the First Years monitor. I have yet to find the PERFECT monitor. The lesser of all evils, if you ask me, is probably the Sony Baby Call. (I haven't had a video monitor, so I can't speak to those).

Hope this helps!
Lesley :)