PDA

View Full Version : Best Swing? Anyone tried the Starlight?

luvsviola
01-21-2007, 09:25 PM
Does anyone have the new Starlight swing? It supposedly is like the Baby Papasan but with the stars and it plugs in the wall.

Its $159, and I am too preggo to go see it with the snow we have here, so I wondered if anyone here had used it, and if it was worth $20 more than the Papasan.

Or...any other swing suggestions? I have a hand-me-down Graco with 2 speeds for upstairs, but wanted one for downstairs and it is my birthday.

Thanks!

megs4413
01-21-2007, 09:31 PM
IMO, the plug in option is worthwhile. the rest of the bells and whistles seem totally unnecessary, but the papasan is a great swing...the only downside is that it eats through batteries. so the plug in is a great bonus. if you have the $$$...i'd go for it.

and happy birthday!

HannaAddict
01-22-2007, 02:13 PM
I think all of the cradle swings by Fisher Price are much better than the Graco open top swings, at least my for my little ones. My little ones don't like the way they sit in the Graco swing that a relative brought over.

As for batteries versus plug in, I don't think the plug in option is that important since, in our experience, the papasan actually runs a long time on a set of batteries (including many three hour naps!). We have actually been very pleasantly surprised at how long the batteries last. For us, the convenience of setting the swing up anywhere in the house, without worrying about where an outlet is, or tripping over a cord (by us or my preschooler) outweighs the battery use issue.

We really like the papsan swing but if your baby is one that likes more activity (you won't find out until he/she is born!), they might like the light show, etc. We are renting an Ocean Wonders swing while on vacation, and my daughter really likes the lights and fish display.

Kimberly

clc053103
01-22-2007, 02:26 PM
I definitely say go with the FP- Love the two way swinging feature, and two position seat. And the plug in option sounds great! I was usuing duracells with an Ocean Wonder swing and we burned through them. WE had to keep large supplies on hand.

cindys
01-22-2007, 04:06 PM
We have the Papasan Swing and LOVE it!!! We use it everyday because its where the baby likes to nap. Never had a problem with it eating up batteries.

Cindy

youngmommy
01-22-2007, 04:45 PM
I used a swing all the time with DD. We just kept 2 sets of D batteries around, and used one while the other set charged. It wasn't that big of a deal except I think I remember having to use a screwdriver to change the batteries, which was a pain. If you have the option of going with either one, and like the plug in one more, I'd say go for that.

MarisaSF
01-22-2007, 11:19 PM
Which retailers are selling the Starlight? I think the plug-in option sounds really nice.
ETA: Never mind. :) I see it (now, I swear it wasn't there before!) at BRU and Amazon. The first review at Amazon was not good.

Pricey! Now I'm remembering why we didn't get a swing for DD#1.

MarisaSF
01-22-2007, 11:35 PM
FYI-- Looks like the FP Rainforest swing also plugs in and is selling for $120. http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2452297&cp=2255975.2256080.2256086&view=all&parentPage=family#prod_prodinfo

Tondi G
01-23-2007, 11:49 PM
the new Rainforest FP swing is also a plug in swing and it's cheaper than the Papasan! It also runs off batteries as well if you need it to be somewhere that you don't have an outlet!

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2452297&cp=2255975.2256080.2256086&parentPage=family