PDA

View Full Version : Kettler vs Kiddio ---same company?

alien_host
01-24-2007, 02:17 PM
I bought the Kettler Supertrike 2 from Amazon last Friday. They advertised it as "Kettler" not "Kiddio". It arrived today and the box says "Kiddio" all over it and not "Kettler" anywhere. Also it is made in China.

Is it the same company? I can't find info on the Kettler website. Is Kiddio just the lower price "brand" of Kettler? Is it some sort of knockoff? I'm so confused!

Also I bought the seatbelt from Amazon which said it works with "Kettler trikes" which is what I thought this was - will it work?

ETA: this is what Amazon's site indicated about the belt:

Product Description
The Kettler® seat belt accessory for Kettler® tricycles is a 3-point safety belt that attaches easily to the back of the seat. Hardware included.

Any info would be great. My googling isn't coming up with much!

kellyotn
01-24-2007, 03:58 PM
Its my understanding that Kiddio is a lower-end line from Kettler. We have both and find them both very nice. Our Kettler has air tires and a push bar, other than that, they are really similar. The Kiddio is on its 4th kid, and the Kettler was a $10 garage sale find.

I don't know about the seat belt.... If it needs pre-drilled holes or something, it probably won't work.

brittone2
01-24-2007, 10:10 PM
They are made by the same company, but as the PP said, it is a little lower quality. Supposedly someone called the company a while back and they were told the frame, etc. is essentially the same quality, but the Kiddios can't take additional accessories (so your add on seatbelt likely will not work unless you can figure out a way to make it work on your own).

We bought our Kiddio ST4 from TRU online a while back. I think it always specified Kiddio but made by Kettler. Our ST4 has air tires, and they actually say Kettler right on them. And as you know, the Kiddios are made in China.

Advertising it as a Kettler without clarification seems a little shady, especially if that means the accessories won't work with it...you wouldn't know that in advance. We've been very very happy w/ our Kiddio ST4 but I knew what I was buying (ETA because TRU specified it was a Kiddio).

cstack
01-24-2007, 10:45 PM
I have a Kiddio that I really like. But like the PP said, I knew I was buying a Kiddio. It may not have been an outright lie, but it was deceptive at best.

squimp
01-24-2007, 11:44 PM
The good news is that your child may like the Kiddio better. I know a number of folks who regret getting their Kettlers because they were so heavy duty that it was hard for the kids to pedal them! A lighter, simple trike would have been more fun for the kids to zoom around on.

We have the Kiddio supertrike 4 and absolutely loved it. It appears to be still available through TRU. I have absolutely no qualms about the quality. A used ST4 was selling at full price at our local consignment shop - a testament to its' durability and resale value! It said somewhere on the box something about Kettler, but I threw that out long ago. The manual says nothing about Kettler. My DD has been pedaling on her own since she was about 2.25.

http://www.toysrus.com/sm-kiddi-o-supertrike-4--pi-2420023.html

alien_host
01-25-2007, 10:24 AM
thanks everyone for clearing this up. I do think Amazon is being a little misleading but for the price I think I'm still happy with the purchase. I'll have to see if we can get the seatbelt to work, if not I'll try to complain to Amazon and return it.

I'm glad to hear people are happy with the quality of their Kiddios!

Thanks again!