PDA

View Full Version : balance bike question - stand over heights?

shilo
01-25-2007, 02:24 AM
can anyone help? i need measurements for the standover height/lowest seat position on balance bikes... can anyone measure theirs for me and tell me what brand you have? has anyone seen a comparison of this measure on various models anywhere???

i've read that kiddo's as young as 2 can start enjoying balance bikes. i'd like to do one for DS's bday this year or next, or maybe christmas, but i'd need to find one that would fit my DS first - he's short anyway, and then being on the young end of the age range, i'm thinking this will definitely be the key facor in deciding when to get him one. the target play wonder one looks to be 3 or4 inches too tall at the momment - altho with the way they have the display bolted down with a plexiglass block over the seat, it's impossible to tell for sure :(.

i really like the looks of the PUKY, but i emailed glider rider back before xmas and still haven't heard anything back... sigh.

thanks in advance for anyone who can give me a link or get out a tape measure!!! i'd really appreciate any help.

lori
Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.

neeter
01-25-2007, 02:51 PM
great idea for a thread!!

the target balance bike has an adjustable seat; the lowest is about 14 1/2 inches. it is a bit too tall for my ds who is 38 inches, but i think if he grows one more inch it would be perfect...hopefully by spring or summer.

i recall from a mama posting on another thread that the puky bike's lowest setting is about 11 inches, with the highest going to 16 inches tall.

hth!

niccig
01-25-2007, 06:46 PM
I would be interested in relies.

We want to get DS one, but he's short. 33.5" at 2. The Target one will be way too tall. Puky might work, but isn't there issues with their CS?

I'll be watching to see what other people post.

Corie
01-26-2007, 10:20 AM
If the seat's lowest setting on the PUKY bike is about 11 inches, then my son's
inseam measurement would need to be about the same measurement, right?

That's kind of what I am thinking.

neeter
01-26-2007, 11:05 AM
yes, the inseam measurement should be around 11 inches for your son to use the PUKY.

brittone2
01-26-2007, 04:48 PM
I'm having *NO* luck w/ glider rider's customer service either. Lorien...I didn't realize you were having trouble too. I wanted the bike as part of DS's 3rd bday present for mid Feb. but they haven't responded to my email from over a week ago. I guess I might as well cancel my order at this point and then refute through my credit card since I have no way to verify that they received my cancellation request as they don't respond to email or phone contact. Ugggggh.

LBW posted info for buying Puky bikes through a German retailer that would ship to the US. It didn't seem that much more expensive after shipping IIRC.

american_mama
01-26-2007, 07:49 PM
ETA: Additional measurements

I own the Fun One balance bike (cheaper on ebay through seller "tersec"or google his internet store). It’s fairly big.

Fun One (ebay seller tersec)
Seat is 17.5 to 23 inches, measured from the ground to the TOP of the seat.

Bino Bike: Adjusts 14 - 16.5 inches, see thread below for link. I probably got this from their website.

Ratz Fratz, see creativekidstuff.com or thread below for link
Twice saw it listed as 41-43.5 cm (approx. 16-17 inches), once in tech specs saw it listed as 41-47 cm (16-18.5 inches). Tire height is supposedly 12 inches. I got this info. from the manufacturer Hudora, see diagram at bottom of this page http://www.hudora.de/artnr/10105/catalog_page/. I do know some German, but the diagram is pretty easy to understand even if you do not. Two or three German reviews said it was too big for a 3 year old.

Kinder Bike, see thread below for link
Adjusts 14-17 inches. Probably found it on their website.

I have seen the Kettler Sprint bike IRL and it’s a pretty small bike. The child riding it appeared to be 2 or 3 years old, and my 25 month-old DD standing near it looked like she might be able to fit it.

Fun One Tires are 16 inches as opposed to the more common 12 inch tire on balance bikes; you can use the tire size as a rough gauge for how low the seat goes, since it probably doesn’t go much lower than the tire. This balance bike also comes with the option to add pedals, and my tall 4.5 year old fits it great without pedals, but the seat is at its highest setting with the pedals on. I don't think a child would be able to ride the Fun One without pedals until they are 3 or probably closer to 4 years old.

Also, if your balance bike comes with a hand brake, your child’s hand may not be large enough or strong enough to actually use the hand brake. I read this in several German reviews for Ratz Fratz , and DD cannot use her hand brake on the Fun One, although the Fun One came with directions on how to adjust it or, perhaps an omen, a suggestion to take it to a bike shop and let them do it. We have done neither, so it’s at its biggest setting.

This is a recent thread about balance bikes, including a post from me with some lesser-known options for bikes, all $40-$100. It is also the thread were I found all the following comments on seat measurements
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=12&topic_id=66306&mesg_id=66306&page=3

Glider Rider/Puky
"Got one of these this Christmas for DD1 (almost 4). When we took it out of the package, it seemed a little small for her. The wheels and handlebars are comparable to the Kettler we had for DD1. DD doesn't like it, and she really seems too big for it (she's almost 4). She's just over 40", I think (in 110 Hannas!!!).
It looks like the seat would be around 11 inches if all the way down. It's 16 inches with the seat all the way up. DD1 is 41 inches, and we have the bike at max height. It works fine for her now, but if your kid is any bigger than 40 inches or so, I'd skip the Puky."

"DS the Gliderrider for his 3rd birthday (this past October) and we have absolutely LOVED it! It took him only a few days of practice and since then he's been riding it all over our town. ….We did get the handbrake, but his little hands are too little to operate it... he just drags his feet to slow down."

LBW
01-26-2007, 09:17 PM
Here's more about the Puky models.

Puky makes three different sizes of this bike. I think #2 is the one sold by Glider RIder?

1. LR M is the smallest model. It's lowest seat height is 11 inches. Frame is lightweight and there is no handbrake. Tires look smaller than #2, but I couldn't find measurements. Recommended for kids from 33 inches tall.
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/37357.jpg

2. LR1 is middle model. It comes with or without a single handbrake. It's lowest seat height is 13 inches. 12 inch tires. Recommended for kids from 35 inches tall.
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/37361.jpg

3. LR XL is the largest model. It's lowest seat height is 15 3/4 inches. It comes with front and rear wheel handbrakes. Larger tires (16 inch?) Recommended for kids from 37 inches tall.
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/37360.jpg

shilo
01-29-2007, 03:46 AM
see, i knew you ladies would be a wealth of info! thanks to everyone who replied with the measurements. seems like the little puky will be our best bet to start. now i just have to figure out how to get one :). beth, if it's not too much trouble, can you let me know if you ever do hear back from glider rider? i'm beginning to think they've gone out of business or something. i may just bite the bullet and go the german route.

lori

brittone2
01-29-2007, 04:02 PM
(for anyone reading, I edited this again after talking w/ DH when he got home tonight and clarified some details with him).

So, I must have been in a bad mood on friday, but after not getting any responses to my emails or DH's phone call, I sent an email to PUKY directly letting them know that a lot of people here were having problems w/ GLider Rider's customer service. I basically said that I wasn't sure if they had specific expectations from their retailers, but if they did, Glider Rider was providing poor customer service to those of us that were in contact w/ them. I mentioned we were looking into having a bike shipped from abroad, etc. I actually even posted links to discussions here where people mentioned they were getting no response to their emails or phone calls. I thought they should know about the major lack of communication going on.

I'm not sure if that was what triggered it, but DH called today and told me he had a voicemail from Glider Rider saying DS's bike was shipping today. Apparently the owner was extremely apologetic, saying they've had major problems with their "infrastructure". ETA: DH said that one of the owners said he had a death in the family, and the other owner's mother had emergency surgery in Germany and he flew back to be with her. (edited to update after talking to DH: they had to hire a contractor to help them after Christmas due to the death in the family and the other owner's mother being hospitalized. THe contractor apparently really screwed up and the owners are now trying to remedy the situation.) Anyway,not sure if that's really what happened, but...at least they were trying to make it right. DH says they were very apologetic and helpful. They provided us with a fed ex tracking number.

So, I suppose I'll be the guinea pig and let you know how it all turns out. I'm crossing my fingers that the bike arrives unscathed and it works out for us. For anyone interested in still pursuing the Puky bike through Glider Rider, maybe try calling (I'm sure several of you did).

I'm hoping this works out. I'm a little nervous about it after what I've experienced so far, but DH said the owner he spoke w/ today seemed genuinely concerned. I thought I'd update with our experience in case anyone else is thinking of ordering through Glider Rider.

Oh, and the owner was wondering what website this was where we were all talking about their product. DH told him he could probably post her as long as he clearly identified himself and followed the rules set forth on the website. Maybe they'll make an appearance here themselves ;)

niccig
01-29-2007, 05:19 PM
Yay Beth. Hopefully, you light a fire underneath them, and that the bike arrives in time for DS.

shilo
01-30-2007, 12:37 AM
good for you! i'm glad to hear they seem to be back on track. let's hope logan's b-day present is just perfect. maybe i'll wait a week to let things calm down for them and then try sending an email again.

lori

brittone2
01-30-2007, 08:34 AM
I'll let you know how it goes. I am not sure if they really "fixed" their customer service or not, but at least they were willing to make an effort to get things patched up with us.

Crossing my fingers (and toes!).