PDA

View Full Version : DVD recommendations for 2/3 year old boy - around the VAN

VClute
01-25-2007, 02:08 PM
OK. So, as baby girl's arrival looms closer and closer, I'm starting to think about the things I did with DS when he was a baby. A lot of it involved driving in the minivan, pulling over quite often to nurse in parking lots. Now that I'll have an antsy 2-year-old in tow, I thought one way to keep him entertained while I nurse his sister is to have a collection of short little dvd's that he can watch while we idle. (He's ok in the car as long as it's MOVING - even a long red light gets him impatient...)

Anyone have any ideas? We spend so much time outside of the house, he's never watched much tv. Well, not much kids tv, anyway. Are there any dvd's where someone narrates a story while pictures show on screen? (Like reading a book?) Any with lots of trucks and cars, and not much story line? (They've tried showing him Bob the Builder at the place where he gets his hair cut, and he gets bored with the "plot.") TIA!

Amy in NC
mom to Dixon, born 2/14/05
...and let the shopping begin!

A GIRL (!!) Due 3/30/07

miki
01-25-2007, 02:38 PM
Scholastic has many videos that are like books being read. You can look on their website for examples. I often see the DVDs at TJ Maxx/Ross for about $5-6 each.

As for trucks, we've gotten a DVD from the library called "I Love Big Machines." It was just a lot of different trucks, construction equipment, machines, farm vehicles doing different things narrated by a kid--no plot at all.

SnuggleBuggles
01-25-2007, 03:52 PM
I'll have to think but I just wanted to say for that age, a boy that is into cars would most likely love "Cars." It is a gigantic hit with the boys at ds' preschool- and my ds' favorite thing to watch.

Beth

Tondi G
01-26-2007, 06:27 PM
I say ditto on the movie CARS! My 20 mo old DS really likes the Little Einsteins (not baby einstein). He also love music so he digs the Wiggles and Doodlebops (both on Disney Channel). Think your DS would like Thomas the Tank?

cstack
01-27-2007, 12:02 PM
Cars is an absolutely adorable movie (I really did not want to see it, but was pleasantly surprised).

For shorter stuff - I love the Veggie Tales (OK, DKs love them, too, even the older DKs), but they do have something of a story line. It gets broken up a bit by the silly songs and the silly songs videos themselves are great because each segment is short, so that might work. DS has a ton of Thomas DVDs that have lots of episodes on them that he really loves to watch - the show the trains and the narrator (generally George Carlin) tells the story, so might be exactly what you're looking for. I bought most of them at Sam's Club and each one came with a train. My nieces loves the Baby Einstein series for their girls, but I've honestly never seen one, so I can't tell you anything about it. There were videos you could get that were just scenes of trucks, cars, heavy equipment, etc. I know they have one at my local library. The one we watched had no narration, though and DS got bored with it.

HTH

Pegessen
01-27-2007, 12:21 PM
My son loves the following movies and he is 2 yrs old:

Cars
Thomas the Train (any of them)
Veggie Tales
Sesame Street or anything with Elmo
Baby Einstein

bluestar2
01-27-2007, 02:37 PM
DS is obsessed with letters right now and loves the Leapfrog Letter Factory DVD. I second the Scholastic ones as well. He likes the Good Night Gorilla and Where the Wild Things Are which came in a set. How about Richard Scarry? We have the Busy people one but maybe they have the Cars and Trucks and Things that Go?

cstack
01-27-2007, 05:38 PM
did you know there's a Chicka Chicka Boom Boom DVD? I got one at Amazon.com a few years ago.

R2sweetboys
01-27-2007, 07:43 PM
Our TRU sells DVDs that are called "All About Cars-All About Trains" and other variations for $3.99. I think they have one with space ships, farm tractors, motorcycles,etc. The boys(especially my 3YO) love these. Also, other "car/truck" favorites are "There goes a ----". They have trucks,cars,police cars,monster trucks,garbage trucks,etc. These have always been favorites of both of my boys. Some are only VHS but I know we have "TGA truck" and "TGA train" on DVD.(there may be more on DVD but we got a couple when DS1 was young and VHS was more prevalant) These are more than the TRU ones I had mentioned but they are reasonable. We have a DVD player in the van and it's been WONDERFUL during times like you anticipate.

~Leslie

SAHM to...
Ryan 8/14/00
Matthew 2/14/03

tzela
02-02-2007, 08:05 AM
My two year old son loves the ABC dvd put out by They Might Be Giants. Fun music and visuals. His favorite is "E eats Everything".