PDA

View Full Version : Searching for Child's Cassette Player

SquamLake
01-25-2007, 03:13 PM
Does anyone have a recommendation for a child's cassette player? I've been searching the net with very little success. Seems like the ones I have found have not gotten the greatest reviews. I'm looking for something that my daughter can carry around while listening to music/stories on cassettes we purchased in Europe. If you have a recommendation on a site where I can purchase this item, I'd appreciate that information as well.

Thanks in advance.

Jada2929
01-25-2007, 03:17 PM
Search on ebay for the Fisher Price one. It's old school, 1987, but they are still holding up well and are quality made! You'll probably be able to pay less than 10 bucks for one too.

lhk777
01-25-2007, 03:30 PM
We bought ours from TJMaxx a few years ago.
Not sure what brand it is but it is white with various color buttons for the play, and stop buttons. It has a little handle on top and also has a small microphone attached to it.

Both my DD's love it - especially since they are able to sing along to the songs using the mic.

It is still in great shape and it's taken quite a beating too.

If you want I can check what brand it is when i get home from work.

I also saw a hello kitty one and a veggies tales one during christmas.

HTH.

-Linda

SnuggleBuggles
01-25-2007, 03:54 PM
what have the complaints in the reviews been? I wouldn't expect great sound or anything. Just easy controls and durable. If they meet those standards then I would imagine it would be fine.

My mom bought ds a cassette player last year from the Disney Store. It's one of those that has the microphone attached.

Beth

SquamLake
01-25-2007, 04:02 PM
I'll check out ebay.

If you wouldn't mind checking on the brand, I'd appreciate it.

The complaints have been varied: batteries don't last long (not a big deal in my opinion); to heavy for child to carry; buttons stick; stopped working within a few months of purchase.

My main concern is longevity. Obviously, if the player is going to be carried around a lot, it is going to be dropped a lot. I don't want to have to go out and buy a new one in a few months.

I've read good things about the fisher price models, however, the only model I've been able to find is the Tuff something or another. The reviews I've seen on that say it is rather big and heavy to carry around. Not very appealing.

SnuggleBuggles
01-25-2007, 06:29 PM
It currently resides at ds' grandparents' house. I came up dry on the Disney Store website. The one he has is "Chicken Little" themed (why my mom thought ds liked that movie, I'll never know"). Here it is from ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Disney-Chicken-Little-Sing-Along-Cassette-Player_W0QQitemZ280073499307QQihZ018QQcategoryZ192 24QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Now, he really doesn't play with it much so I can't speak of it's longevity. It seems on par with ones I remember from babysitting.

Beth

cstack
01-25-2007, 10:38 PM
My older DC had a Fisher Price brand cassette player that held up for years. It might even still be in the attic, but finding it right now would be akin to finding Bigfoot.

My 6 year old has a Chicco brand cassetter player. I looked at their website and couldn't find the exact one, but I did see two or three styles. The Chicco one is holding up well. I bought it at a rummage sale for something like $2 and DS likes it a lot.

I've seen many similar ones at Target and Walmart. They're not expensive (I think all the ones I've seen are less that $20 and I think I saw a couple that were $10). The little girl I used to sit for had a generic cheapie version that seemed able to take a beating (and she was tough on everything). You obviously won't get Bose quality, but all the "toy" style ones I've seen seem to have decent quality.

Another option, my niece bought her daughter an inexpensive boom box when whe was 1. She's 5 now and it's still going strong as far as I know. The nice part of that - it also has a radio. The downfall - it's definitely not as portable for little ones and it's not likely made to be dropped more than once like the kid designed ones are.

SquamLake
01-26-2007, 10:13 AM
Thank you all for your responses. I really do appreciate it. I'll be looking into all your suggestions/links.

calv
01-26-2007, 10:58 AM
I swear I replied to this adn can't see my reply. Anyway we found ours at TJ Maxx on cleranace for less than $10. It's a veggie tales one. Very durable and works great, easy for the kids to use. I like that it comes w/a mike.

We were at marshalls and I saw a hello kitty one

LBW
01-26-2007, 09:26 PM
We have a Fisher Price one. I tried to find it online, but maybe they don't make it anymore? It's primary colors and it includes a microphone and settings that kids can use to make their voices sound funny. I only bought it a year ago.

It's a bit heavy, but DS1 doesn't really walk around while listening to it. He uses it to play books on tape, so he puts it on his bed or the floor. He hasn't fully mastered using it by himself, but I think it's fairly kid friendly. He's rough with his toys, and it has held up for a year, so I think it's pretty sturdy.

Good luck!

LBW
01-26-2007, 09:26 PM
nt