PDA

View Full Version : what are some "on the go" toys for a toddler

knaidel
01-30-2007, 02:19 PM
Looking for suggestions for toys to take with me when I have to go on a non-fun outing with my 2 y.o. Yesterday, we went to the doctors office, and we took a coloring book and crayons. What are some other suggestions of toys that are easily transport-able and suitable for a toddler? I am now nostalgic for when he was an infant and was easily entertained with some plastic keys :)

elliput
01-30-2007, 02:38 PM
I am keeping a travel doodlepro in each car for DD for just this type of situation. I have also taken a couple of board books.

thomma
01-30-2007, 10:21 PM
I was going to suggest a travel doodlepro too. We have 2 sets of them...for the car and for the travel/diaper bag.

crl
01-30-2007, 10:28 PM
Baby Einsteins travel flashcards on a ring worked well for us at that age. A couple of books, matchbox cars, and snacks were also often in my bag.

hillview
01-31-2007, 08:22 AM
I stole this list from an airplane ride post.
Stickers
Aquadoodle
Crayons
Magnetic things
Spare set of keys
Small measuring tape
Finger puppet
Snacks
Small playdough
Magnet book
Pill box with snacks in it
Post it notes
Plastic animal
/hillary

nfowife
01-31-2007, 08:58 AM
I posted a similar question a few weeks ago. So far the biggest hit with my 21 month old has been these books I found at kohl's. They are $8 but it was on sale for $6 when I got it and soooo worth it. It's a cardboard book thing with a water pen (like an aquadoodle). You put water in the pen and color on the pages and the pictures show up. Best of all they dry later on and you can use them again and again! They even have activities on the page for older kiddos but my DD just likes to "paint the picture". It really keeps her occupied for a while!

KrystalS
01-31-2007, 10:05 AM
My DD has lots of little plastics character types toys...Dora, Diego, and their various animals. I keep them in a small bag and she takes them every time we go somewhere. You can get the Diego sets for about $6 they come with a Diego, and animal, and another toy like a boat, hang glider, etc. I know these might be choking hazards for some kids under 3 though, my DD, although she is almost 3 now, rarely put things in her mouth anyway.

jse107
01-31-2007, 11:12 AM
Out latest favorite--Silly Putty!

DAKnits
01-31-2007, 01:09 PM
I bring snacks, a Color Wonder Book and Color Wonder markers, coloring book and crayons, sticker book and stickers, small playdohs with a few shape cutters ... but DD's favorite thing to do is take the tissues out of the tissue box (they always have one on the table) -- she takes them out one by one.

Another new favorite -- I take a bunch of those tongue "popsicle" sticks they have in the room, and draw faces and clothes on them, and you've got little puppets. DD also likes to color them.

HTH!

megs4413
01-31-2007, 01:34 PM
we bring snacks in little cups, a doodlepro travel size, and some of those little dr. seuss board books. we also got a horribly annoying play cell phone that has minnie mouse on it and plays sounds and lights up and stuff...DD LOVES it.....go figure...

new_mommy25
01-31-2007, 02:39 PM
Snack Trap, McDonalds Toys, Matchbox cars, board books, sticker books. Ds is easily amused.

jgriffin
01-31-2007, 03:28 PM
I just bought a small Playmobil set for E for the diaper bag. Most of the pieces are choking hazards, so we were left with a girl and pony, which he like playing with. Everything else is waiting until he's older. I'll probably get a couple more small sets so we have more people and animals.

We have a subscription to Ladybug; I keep the latest issue in the diaper bag so we usually have something new to look at and read. And a travel doodlepro is also permanently in the bag.

E much prefers non-toys, unfortunately. I let him play with the little flashlight on my keychain, DH lets him play with his watch, and I'm thinking about throwing a small remote in the bag so he can press buttons.