PDA

View Full Version : game to teach following directions?

ehmom
01-30-2007, 02:55 PM
ds needs to learn to follow simple directions a bit better. are there any games (homemade or store bought) that would be good for him? i remember when i was in kindergarden, we had a game with shapes and had to put them in specific places when told. have you used anything that worked for you? any help appreciated1
em

zoestargrove
01-30-2007, 03:42 PM
You could play Simon Says.

SnuggleBuggles
01-30-2007, 04:19 PM
I *love* Cranium Hullabaloo (as does ds- 4yo). It's a quick, easy game to set up and play.

Beth

the mommy
01-30-2007, 04:26 PM
We have a ton of games and really all of them will help with following directions- I would try a simple bingo or lotto game. You can make your own or buy them and they are fairly inexpensive. We have one by Fisher Price- Bingo with Eddie. http://www.fisher-price.com/fp.aspx?st=2053&e=product&pid=16123

Something else that isn't a game really but can be fun and help with directions is to play "under, on top, inside etc.," with a small figure and another object. For example you tell him, "put the dinosaur inside the box." Then he can ask you to put it under the box., etc., It helps with turn taking like a game, but it also helps him to listen to the whole direction since you will change it slightly each time and of course you can use anything to play this. You can make it fun with high fives when he gets it right and "you did it" etc., It really is similar to the Simon Says sort of game, just with tangible objects which may make it easier to follow the directions at first.

Good luck and have fun with whatever games you decide on. :)

Heather
dd 1/04