PDA

View Full Version : X-post: Floor covering for art area?

robyn9474
02-07-2007, 10:58 PM
This board seems to get more traffic than Toddler Bargains, so I brought this over from Toys/Media.

My basement play area is all Berber carpet - not fortunate enough to have a tile or laminated area for DS's future art area. I figure I'm definitely going to need some carpet protection!

I'm wondering if you creative types have come up with solutions to this dilemma. I'd like to be able to have a table and chairs, as well as an easel all set up in one corner area. I guess I'm thinking I'd like something 6x6 or even 8x8. I was thinking maybe an office supply hard plastic floor mat - you know, like what rolling chairs go on. But does anyone know if you can get them that big?

Thanks for any help!
Robyn

sdbc
02-08-2007, 10:27 AM
How about a cheap shower curtain liner just for when he's doing messy art?

Or you could do those interlocking foam squares. I've never seen a plastic floor mat that large.

Sue, mommy to Aurora (Rory) born 5/13/04

lhk777
02-08-2007, 11:35 AM
Something that could work for you might be the Land of Nod OilCloth Reversible Splat Mats. They come in 3 different sizes. The biggest one is 4x8 ($59). You could get 2 of them and put them next to each other. There are several different patterns - here are a few. I think there are some others on their website as well.

http://www.landofnod.com/family.aspx?c=83&f=2205&q=splat+mat&fromLocation=Search&DIMID=400001&SearchPage=1

-Linda

robyn9474
02-14-2007, 01:38 PM
Thanks so much for the replies! I love the LON splat mats... big, and cute too! I think I could use double sided tape to attach two together.

Robyn

supercalifragilous
02-14-2007, 08:04 PM
Another idea to try is getting clear vinyl on a roll @ JoAnn's fabrics. That's what I used under DD's highchair for the longest time. That way you can get the length you want.

It comes in different thicknesses and is found in their home dec dept. They usually have a sale going on or you could use a 40% coupon so they're cheap, plus they wipe off super easy. It's much nicer than a plain ol' tarp or picnic cloth.

In retrospect, I really got tired of wiping it down all the time... I would've much rather had something I could throw in the wash!

LD92599
02-14-2007, 09:27 PM
I love the oilcloth - do any WAHM's make something similar? I'm also looking for an elasticized table cloth for the dining room table. I did see a post recently but didn't like the fabric choices....also thinking about a WAHM for that too!

Laura
Mom to Will

http://b4.lilypie.com/BhyBm5.png

vikivoly
02-14-2007, 11:44 PM
I have the same set up as you do. I considered using a shower curtain and then a tarp, but ended up buying a large cheap carpet from Wal-mart to put under the table. It was only $20 and it looks much better than my other options, plus I wasn't thrilled about walking on plastic. I'm very pleased with it. When we have a paint or marker spill, I clean it the best I can and don't worry if it doesn't come out completely. When it starts to get really trashed, I'll just toss it out and buy another.