PDA

View Full Version : Need some QUICK help for my 19 month old DD

Jenn98
02-11-2007, 10:02 PM
DD seems to be quite bored these days with her toys. I'm headed to BRU tomorrow morning (don't go often cause it's a 50 min drive) and I want to get DD a new toy or two. Any suggestions? What does your 18-19 month old DD play with right now? We try to avoid a lot of loud plastic toys (I can't handle the noise!), but I'm open to ideas. DD loves music and LOVES books. She cannot get enough of her books! She's really into the alphabet, colors and numbers, too. TIA!!

kimbe
02-11-2007, 10:54 PM
DD is about the same age and here is what she loves right now. (I think that our DD's would be good friends because my DD also can't get enough of her books and also likes the alphabet, colors and numbers too!) You may not even have to go to BRU. DD really isn't too big on toys right now -- she's into the cheap stuff for the time being LOL!

Little People House --- I didn't want to get it for her, but she loves it. She got it for Christmas and she has really started up with pretend play because of it. It is one of the few toys that she actually plays with. She wakes up in the morning, stands by the gate and begs to go and "play baby." (Only wants to "play baby" with DH though!)

Stickers --- loves stickers and putting the stickers in a sticker book and on herself and others. (Got a sticker book at Michaels for $1)

Arts and Crafts -- painting (not so much on the finger painting, but loves using the watercolor paints), coloring, etc. She loves when I draw her things and ask her what they are. Likes when I write letters and numbers and ask her what those are. Loves tracing her hands and feet.

Playdoh --- loves stamping my crappy cookie cutters and "making" shapes. Also like stamping the animals from the Leap Frog Fridge Farm into the Playdoh.

Bracelets --- she loves putting things on her arms so I found some of my old jelly bracelets and she is always wearing several at a time.

Playing cards, old pictures of family members and of her, bubbles, pieces of fabric, pillows -- those are a few other odds and ends that she really likes to play with too.

Pushing anything around in here little umbrella stroller.

Digging in the dirt, stones or sand.

Wooden food -- she likes when we ask her to go and get us something. She goes and gets it and then has her stuffed animals "eat" the food.

Mr. Potato Head

If I think of anything else, I'll edit. It is amazing that when you try to think about what you do all day, you forget! Like I said though, she really doesn't play with a lot of toys. I hope that this helps you out a little. I know how frustrating it can be to keep DD busy. Let me know what you decide to get!!!

TracyBee
02-12-2007, 12:21 AM
If she doesn't already have the Playskool Ball Popper - it's my daughter's all time favorite toy. She's had it since she was 1 and she's almost 4 - and still plays with it frequently. It's loud, it's plastic, but its seriously like crack for kids - lol!

Also a big hit at that age was the Baby Einstein flash cards - the Nature ones. She loved to learn what each picture was, how to say the word and then play all sorts of matching/retrieving games with them.

94bruin
02-12-2007, 12:47 AM
My dd is really into stacking right now. Wooden blocks & legos (the toddler type - duplos?) are big hits. Also, dd loves playing with the triple stacker from M&D. http://tinyurl.com/3y8w7l

I recently introduced some threading toys for her. That really captured her attention. Made a whole hour on a plane ride go right by! It took her a while to get it, but she's really good at it now. Just this weekend, I gave her some smaller beads (M&D) & shoestring. It was definitely more of a challenge for her. The first one I got is good for younger toddlers as the string has a wooden dowel at the end, and the beads are bigger. It's the geobeads by plan toys. http://tinyurl.com/37xkvb

fattytuna
02-12-2007, 12:51 AM
DD learned her alphabet mostly from books and flashcards, but she sure has a lot of fun playing with the LeapFrog Fridge Phonics Magnetic Letter Play Set:

[img src="http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000096QNK.16._SCLZZZZZZZ_SS260_.jpg"]

and LittleTouch LuLu The Letter-Spinning Spider

[img src="http://images.academicsuperstore.com/ProdImg/750521.jpg"]

Colors and numbers she got from a set of WJ Fantasy stacking boxes:

[img src="http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/1560213698.01-ALZPGWL6Y20BJ._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.gif"]

She also likes books a lot. Her current favorites are:

I Know a Rhino
Goodnight Gorilla
Five Little Monkeys
Jamberry
The Snowy Days
Chugga Chugga Choo Choo
Take me to the Zoo
Mr Brown Can Moo

MommyAllison
02-12-2007, 01:44 AM
I've been thinking about getting DD a soft tunnel toy - she loves to play peek-a-boo, hide & seek, etc. She currently LOVES her M&D stacking rings toy (it has squares on one peg, circles on another, and hectagons (ok, I don't remember how many points, but something like that! ;) ) on the third. She also enjoys pushing her shopping cart around and filling it with everything she finds. I recently got her some magnets (the smooth kind like pizza places give out for free with their phone number on it) and she loves to play with them on the fridge. But her most favorite of all is to pull the toilet paper off the roll and stream it throughout the house. So fun! :)

Allison
Mama to DD 11/05

BeachBum
02-12-2007, 07:36 AM
Thanks for sharing all those ideas. There are several that we hadn't thought of :)

newnana
02-12-2007, 09:12 AM
I saw the little people house on clearance at target yesterday for $19.00. just wanted to mention that.

DD LOVES her stacking cups, but I agree wholeheartedly with the previous post.

Oh, and she also loves the Little People Magnadoodle. It's the only one I could find for children under 3, but it's for 2 and up.

Have fun!
Michelle

hillview
02-12-2007, 10:14 AM
DS is 18.5 months old. Current favs:
- books and books and more books (he really likes the alphabet books from baby einstein that fit in a box)
- legos (duplos)
- blocks he can stack -- loves to stack
- cars and trucks
- geotrax train (even without the batteries in)
- aquadoodle -- just opened this weekend (from Christmas) and a hit
- small animals
- little people sets

HTH
/hillary