PDA

View Full Version : What type of Push Bike for 2 year old?

BaileyBea
02-16-2007, 02:31 PM
I am in need of some help. DS is turning 2 in two weeks and we received $ for a bike for him from his Grandparents.

We currently have a hand me down Tricycle (Radio Flyer) but have no push car or bike for him that he can push w/his feet. I was about to go buy the Puky bike but I decided I probably need some advice and more research.

How long do kiddos use their bikes or push cars that they sit on and push w/their feet? When do they start using tricycles? I would love to buy him a glider bike but he's still very much a Klutz.

Love any advice from those of you who have BTDT. I am clearning not knowing what to give a 2 year old.

Thanks
Nancy

brittone2
02-16-2007, 03:28 PM
Kids usually independently pedal a trike around 2.5-3ish on average. I think there is value in pedaling a trike and that it is different than pushing w/ feet.

DS has a small 3 wheel plastic ride on toy that he can push w/ his feet outside. He still uses it even though he just turned 3. He just got a Puky balance bike for his 3rd bday. He's having fun w/ it but i'm not sure he would have been ready for it at 2.5. I'm sure some kids are, but I think 3 was a great age for him to get it. He's on the small side at 36 and a quarter inch at age 3 and he fits on it at the smallest setting. Prior to now he honestly would have been too small, but as I said, he's on the small side for his age.

If yo
*u are looking for a trike, I like the Kiddio Supertrike 4 for the price. That has a pushbar. I assume by push bike though you are looking for something foot propelled?

If he's still a little "klutzy" as you said, then he might get some use out of a foot propelled ride on toy. It is good for teaching kids to get on/off while balancing on one foot, etc. I wouldn't invest much money in it though because I'd say he's nearing the end of its usefulness IMO. My DS still plays w/ his, but I wouldn't shell out money for one after 2.5. We got ours 2nd hand at a garage sale. These things always seem to be at consignment sales, garage sales, etc. so I'd look at those places first and save your money for a balance bike for down the road, or a trike that you can push w/ a parent pushbar like the Kiddio.

Not sure if that helps or not?

BaileyBea
02-16-2007, 04:07 PM
Thanks Beth.. this helps a lot. I will go off and see if I can find anything used on Craigslist first. Fun fun!

Nancy

maestramommy
02-19-2007, 12:28 AM
For Christmas Dh's friend gave Dora a FP Rock, Ride and Roll tricycle. It starts out as a trike on a rocker, then the rocking bar folds out to become a push handle, so the kid can ride by putting her feet on a rest under the trike, or push on the ground with her feet. Then I guess when her legs are long enough she can use the pedals. The pushbar is removable for independent riding. The seat is adjustable so a shorter kid that is ready to pedal can reach. Dora never has gotten into the rocking thing, but she likes to sit in it while we push, and encourage her to steer. She also likes to push it herself. It's all plastic except for the pedal bars, so very light. She actually prefers it to her ride-on car, probably because the seat is much narrower.