PDA

View Full Version : Please - need help w/video monitor recommendations!

lrg
03-03-2007, 12:55 AM
I tried putting this in a related topic already up here, but am in such a hurry as I have to buy something this weekend...hoping creating my own thread will get me some help! Thanks!!!!

I see some folks on the other thread had good things to say about the Summer video monitor from BRU, but the reviews I've seen elsewhere like on amazon.com, have been mixed. I've seen some feedback that the sound often doesn't work. My multiple questions:

Is there a benefit to 2.4 ghz vs 900 mhz?

With only 2 channels, do you pick up interference from neighbor's cordless phones and/or monitors?

Is a 350 ft range really enough? (like will it get you from a 2nd floor down to a basement?)

If you don't want the video illuminating your bedroom at night, is there an option for sound only? I couldn't find this as a feature listed on the video monitors I've looked at.

Or recommendations on other video monitors would be great. I saw a few have the geek.com one, and the price is great, but the range is only 150 feet - not far at all and it seemed to indicate something about needing to be in a direct line? Is that right?

I'm also wondering w/the lower ranges on these video ones - if I'd be better with the Summer video one that's $99 and then also buying the audio Graco imonitor for the 2000 ft range for $60 as opposed to spending $200 on a higher end video one.

Additionally, we already have a Sony Baby Call for our older son - would all 3 of these things start interfering with each other?

Opinions/help would be much appreciated! I'm due in a week and have been so indecisive about this purchase that I let it get this late!!!

danagee
03-03-2007, 01:58 PM
I can't answer any technical questions, but I've got the simple Summer Infant video monitor, the SI video plus audio unit monitor as well as the Sony BabyCall audio monitor!
None interfere with the others. Our cordless phone does interfere with only 1 of the monitors, but I never have paid attention to which one, it hasnt been a big deal to me. I think that 350 feet is enough, it even works in our garage and outside.

I had to return one when it was brand new because it didnt work and their CS was good,they didnt give me any troubles.
Our older model (2 1/2 yo), however broke last week and it's outside their 1 year warranty - they've offered us a 50% discount on a replacement, which I think is fair enough.

Each of the models I own have switches to turn off the video to eliminate the light at night, however, we're so hooked on watching the babies that we keep them on all the time.

Our ds is 2 1/2 and we are replacing his broken one because we can't stand not being able to see him! It's been so wierd to only listen to him.

We love these monitors and have been recommending them highly to friends ever since we got the first one. I say go for it because if it doesnt work out for you, i'm sure BRU has a decent exchange/return policy, plus they're selling pretty well on ebay.

Dana
ds 8/04 * dd 1/06

lrg
03-03-2007, 05:41 PM
Thanks so much! This helps. What is the SI video monitor plus audio unit? I haven't seen that - how is that different than the "simple" one you mention?

danagee
03-03-2007, 07:28 PM
It's just their base model of video monitor that includes an extra audio monitor.
It allows you to just use the small audio part as well as and/or rather than use the mini-tv video part.

Here's a link - it's the 2nd one from the top: http://www.summerinfant.com/videomonitors.htm

Dana
ds 8/04 * dd 1/06