PDA

View Full Version : Swingset for a 1 year old?

Mommy Of A Little Angel
03-08-2007, 10:28 AM
I think this is the right forum to post this in, but if not, feel free to move it!

We want to get DD a swingset for her birthday and now that we actually have a backyard, I want to get her something she would like. I know she is little, but I'm not sure what I should get her. We have thought about the Little Tikes Take Along Swing Castle:
http://www.amazon.com/Little-Tikes-Swing-Along-Castle/dp/B00005BPPA

I am not sure if we should just spend a bit more and get her something that she can grow into. I want something she can enjoy now as well as hopefully for at least a few years. We live in FL so she can play outside during all the months. Any ideas?

Thanks!

brittone2
03-08-2007, 01:10 PM
My vote would be to get something she could grow into. We were looking into huge wooden sets for a while, but we opted to go w/ a metal set for 200ish. We got it last summer when DS was just over 2. I'm glad I didn't spend more because so far, he's just not that into anything other than swinging. Not really into sliding all that much, etc. so a huge play structure would have been a waste at this point in time. I fully expect him to get more interest as time goes on, but at that point, we'll upgrade to a bigger set.

I would go with a plastic climber for a one year old, but look for one with a bigger slide and then find a sturdy place to hang your own swing (tree, porch, etc.). If I remember right, the swing along castle thing is REALLY small and will be outgrown quickly. You can often find those plastic play structures secondhand at consignment stores, craigslist, etc. Let someone else take the initial hit on the cost since they don't last that long (JMO).

Our metal set blends into our backyard (green in color) and for now is doing the trick. I'm glad I'm only out 200 vs. 2000, kwim?

DS has gotten a lot of use out of his sandbox (got it around 16 months). If she doesn't have one of those, maybe start w/ a plastic climber/slide and sandbox for now.

BeachBum
03-08-2007, 02:52 PM
We have a separate swing that we hung on our porch. I like it because it doesn't take up a lot of room and we can move it (and we have). Plus, at this age they can't get in and out by themselves anyway.

A friend of ours has a "swing set" for their 2 year old. It has two swings and a slide. It is nice, but takes up so much of the yard. Plus, most of the time it is just their child (not several) playing on it.

DS got a sandbox for his 1st birthday and it is such a hit. We also have a step 2 kangaroo climber (ours is inside) that is a good "starter" sized climber. What I like about it is that it has a door that opens and closes. He really likes to "hide" and play in there opening and closing that door.

Although I think that the kangaroo climber will be outgrown pretty quickly (2.5 maybe?) I do think that it was good for a young age. I think that the kangaroo climber paired with a separate swing is a much better combo than the little tikes castle you posted.

Another fun outdoor toy is the little tikes cozy coupe car. I didn't think it looked $60 worth of fun ;) but I bought one at a garage sale. DS loves it and has definitely gotten $60 worth of fun out of it.

We also have a little likes 8 in 1. It will last for years I think, but is too advanced for a 1 year old. But, you could just put the small slide on the part with the door and now you have something similar (but not as fun--no platform) as the kangaroo climber. It could be another option.

I'm sorry I rambled, but I really was trying to be helpful :)

deannanb
03-10-2007, 08:58 PM
we have a metal set - slide, 2 swings, teater totter? and double seater that my 11 year old got when he was 3 ( so it is 8 years old) - and ds (2 years) loves it!

We also have a wooden treehouse with a slide and a sandbox under the fort area. DS also loves to climb up the ladder and go down the slide - the sand box hasn't been opened in years... and now I'm scared to know what might be living in it!

My vote would be for a metal or wooden swing dd can grow into. the LT is cute, but I don't think it would keep her entertained for more than a year or two.