PDA

View Full Version : Puky- Q about accessories/features. Also fyi: price of shipping from Germany

mominjune
03-08-2007, 11:14 AM
So after all this extensive research on the BBB, I've decided to take the plunge (sans co-op or codes) and buy a Puky for DD for her 3rd birthday. She's definitely on the petite side, so I've decided to get the smallest model, the LR-M model from the German ebay seller that someone posted about recently (thank you!!).

But now my questions are for someone who has the Puky:

1) should I spend the extra $8USD (U.S. dollars) for a kickstand? I'm thinking yes even if DD doesn't completely get the idea, it would be easier for storage?

2) should I get the carrying strap for another $10.50USD? I'm thinking probably not if I don't plan to be lugging it around- mostly around the house and neighborhood, and into the car for trips to the park. I would definitely consider it though if someone thought it very useful and hard to carry around even for short distances.

Shipping from Germany- the actual shipping cost by DHL is 35euro or 46USD (this was quoted for the smallest model).

So for the smallest model it is 65euro (with kickstand) plus the 35euro shipping, it comes out to a difference of less than $5 more than getting it directly from gliderrider. The other issue is glidderrider doesn't carry the smallest model.

Jen

brittone2
03-08-2007, 01:05 PM
DS got his Puky bike for his 3rd bday and could figure out the kickstand right away, which kind of surprised me. It is a *tiny* bit hard for him to get it up while actually *on* the bike, but most of the time he gets it without any help from us. We keep ours stored in our backyard shed, so it is usually standing upright and DS can get it out himself. So yes, we like the kickstand.

I'd skip the carrying strap unless you are going to be transporting it to a park to ride there most of the time. The way the wheel is designed, I would think you could rig something up to carry it if you really feel the need afterward. We use ours mostly at home so I can't imagine us having a need to have a strap. The bike isn't that heavy anyway.

Not sure if that helps. I'm glad to see some people having success with finding the Puky elsewhere...it was awesome that someone was kind enough to post the info about the store in Germany. We had quite an adventure getting ours from gliderrider, and despite their reassurances that their customer service issues would be fixed, from what I've read here it seems like things are still kind of problematic.

Anyway, DS really enjoys his and I hope that your DD will too.

mominjune
03-09-2007, 11:15 AM
Thanks Beth for the super quick response! It's everything I wanted to hear - We'll be mostly using the bike at home too, and I was imagining the strap as one more thing to keep track of and forget to use. :)

Yeah! I think I'm *finally* ready to order! I really think DD will enjoy it. She's been asking for a bike for a long time and way too little for one with pedals.

The post about the German store really was super helpful as glideridder does not carry the smallest size, and I was one of the people who sent glidderrider a question email and never received a response. I was very happy to read when you finally got yours!! :)

Thanks again!

jwozy
03-09-2007, 12:26 PM
I've been following the gliderider posts and think we are ready to take the plunge to get a couple of bikes for the kids' third b-day. Did you just email the german contact for a price quote? Do you guys think a handbrake is necessary? I was thinking of getting the XL size for my ds who is pretty tall and the medium size for my dd. She loves pink but the pink doesn't come with handbrakes but I don't know if I'll regret not having it (she's got small hands and not very coordinated). Thanks.

LBW
03-09-2007, 02:01 PM
Hi all,

I'm finally getting around to posting this. I'm the one who ordered the XL from the German store. DS1 loves it. Unfortunately we haven't been able to use it too much since the weather's been lousy. I can't wait for Spring to finally get here.

Anyway, here's a pic of him standing with it. He's 4 1/2 and 45 inches. I think my DH adjusted the seat up a bit, but he has room to grow into it.

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s146/tmwalters/IMG_3887.jpg

We got a lot of accessories. I figured I wouldn't be able to get them in the future because of shipping. The handlebar bag is small, but super cute and DS1's already using it for carting stuff around. The kickstand is also a bit hit - not just for storage! He'll get on the bike, put the kickstand up, ride for a few yards, put the kickstand down, and repeat. It's pretty funny.

I did get the carrying strap. We plan on using it at the park and around the neighborhood. I figure it's worth it if it helps me carry the bike when DS1 get's tired of riding. I'll have my other son, so won't have hands free. I have a German friend who encouraged me to get it. She has an XL and a smaller version (purchased in Germany) and thinks the straps are essential.

On other thing about buying from Germany...they added VAT (tax) onto the order. I didn't realize this until I saw the invoice. Thomas (the guy I've emailed with) is checking to see if I can get the VAT refunded since this is usually allowed when you don't use your purchases in the country. I'll update when I hear back from him.

Hope this helps!

mom2emma
03-09-2007, 03:22 PM
Hi Tara,

Thanks for the picture! I was wondering if there were any custom charges when your bike was delivered?

Bess

jess_g
03-09-2007, 05:08 PM
Great picture. I will have to measure my boys and see how tall they are. I hope my 7 year old is not too tall for the XL model! I think he is 47 inches tall.

And can you post the info (or send it to me privatley) about the German site you bought yours from? I have looked in the archives but could not find the info.

Thanks,

Jessica.

LBW
03-09-2007, 08:03 PM
No, there weren't.

LBW
03-09-2007, 08:09 PM
Here's my contact:
[email protected]
His name is Thomas, and he's very helpful.

Firma Zweirad Hotopp e.K.
Inhaber: Karl-Martin Hotopp
Feldstrasse 21 a
31226 Peine
Tel. + 49 (0) 5171 52259
Fax. + 49 (0) 5171 57310
www.zweirad-hotopp.de

Their paypal site lists all the Puky products: http://stores.ebay.de/hotopp-24

Google's language translator and the official Puky site helped me a lot in figuring out what to get.

mominjune
03-10-2007, 12:05 PM
Julie, I didn't consider the handbrake b/c the model I wanted didn't come with one available. Maybe someone else will have more insight? I'll bet your DD will get much more coordinated very soon :) Pink is so cute, I wish the smallest one came in that color.

I did just email Thomas out of the blue with the info Tara posted (Thank you Tara!) It took him a little while (a week or so) to get back to me but he explained he had been on vacation the last week and no one had checked his mail. I basically told him what I was interested in, where I lived, and asked for a price quote on it along with some possible accessories I was considering. He gave me the quote in euros and I converted online by googling a euro to dollars conversion site. He explained paypal was the best way to pay.

mominjune
03-10-2007, 12:09 PM
Thanks for the photo, your son looks so cute with the bike! Picturing him riding around kicking the kickstand up and down makes me smile.

I'll definitely be interested in finding out what happens with the VAT as I haven't paid for mine yet. I'll have to ask DH about the carrying strap to make my final decision. I really appreciate your input. :)

Jen
DD 6-04

neeter
03-10-2007, 02:23 PM
Thanks for all this very helpful info. I am considering ordering one from Germany, as well. My son is 38 inches (converts to 96 cm) and I'm debating between the M and the XL....I would like him to ride it immediately, so I don't want it to be too big for him. I have emailed Thomas as well as for his insight.

I did email Gliderrider as well...we'll see if I hear back from them as to a possible turn around time.

Tara, how long did it take you to get your bike?

(We did originally get the Target bike, but its too big for DS and I don't want him to miss out. Since he's barely ridden it on the carpet, I think we'll just return this back to Target).

TIA!!

LBW
03-10-2007, 03:34 PM
I think it took 2 weeks to get the bike. It wasn't speedy, but it wasn't a terrible wait, either.

brianaw
03-10-2007, 04:35 PM
I've never heard of this bike, and I can't read the website(it's in German). Can someone explain how it works since it looks like there are no pedals. Is this like a scooter?

shilo
03-10-2007, 09:03 PM
you can check out gliderrider.com. they have descriptions as well as video's of them in action. many of us, myself included, have had trouble with getting this vendor (the only one who seems to carry the PUKY brand in the USA) to responds to questions/orders,etc - but their website has good info. there are also several other manufacturers who make this type of bike (do an advanced search for learning bike or balance bike using the 'and' button), but PUKY has some uniques sizes and features which is why some of us are seeking out the german source.

also, just a general fyi for everyone - i've now contacted several UK vendors about the smallest PUKY (LR M) and none are willing to ship to the US :(, so thomas may be the best bet.

lori
Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.

LBW
03-10-2007, 10:30 PM
Did you contact Carousel in the UK? http://www.carouseltoyshop.co.uk I had emailed them in December and they do ship to the US. At the time, the total wound up being higher than Germany, but it might be worth checking again.

mominjune
03-12-2007, 06:39 PM
Just to update, I just placed my order late afternoon yesterday by sending paypal to Thomas and I received an email this morning he will be bringing the bike to the DHL office within a day and email me my tracking number. I'm excited! :)

I ended up getting the LR M with the kickstand and the carrying strap. I kept going back and forth on the strap, so I asked DH who said "It's just $10, get it" So I said, okay- sounds good to me!

Thomas didn't mention anything about the VAT, and I sent the paypal without calculating that in. It was 108 euro total with shipping/kickstand/strap for the smallest model. Paypal has a function to check off which currency to pay with.

neeter
03-13-2007, 04:30 AM
Thanks for updating!! I did send an email to Thomas a few days ago, haven't heard back yet...hope to hear from him soon!!

mominjune
03-19-2007, 09:02 AM
neeter, I wanted to update you as I know you are considering ordering from Thomas. I haven't received the tracking number he had offered to email me as soon as he had one (a week ago). I emailed him twice throughout the week nicely inquiring if he had the number yet, but have not had a reply. I'm sure he's busy, and I'm really hoping the bike will just show up in a week without any issues, but wanted to update you in case you were still considering ordering him.

Jen
DD 6-04

neeter
03-19-2007, 09:38 AM
thanks jen - i have been in touch with thomas -- he did say that his company has been really busy. he seems to take several days to respond to emails..i did have some follow up questions for him.

i appreciate the update, i hope your bike is on its way!! :)

brittone2
03-19-2007, 12:24 PM
Eeek...I just realized I forgot to measure. I'll try to do that this afternoon...we're off to the post office in a few mins, so I'll try to do it when we get back.

Do you want to know floor to seat at its lowest, and then floor to seat at its highest setting? Would that work?

Oh, and FWIW, we didn't get a handbrake and haven't missed one. I believe some of the reviews I've read in the past are that the handbrake is kind of hard to squeeze. We skipped it. Not sure if we'll regret it once he's "gliding" more than walking on it (he's gliding a tiny bit now). Maybe an older kid would be able to activate the handbrake more easily but I wasn't sure if DS would have the hand strength or not.

neeter
03-19-2007, 01:54 PM
Thanks Beth - Floor to seat at its lowest and at its highest would be perfect -- thank you!! :)

And thanks for your feedback on the handbrake. Sofar I'm thinking of getting the kickstand and the bell. Still on the fence about the carrying strap. :)

jess_g
03-19-2007, 03:24 PM
Please let me know how long the shipping takes and what happens to the VAT. I am going to order the XL one soon for my 7 year old and don't know where to order it from (besides the German site that is) or how long it takes to get here. We just had a snow storm so I don't think its something my son can use for awhile.

Thanks,

Jessica.

mominjune
03-19-2007, 06:56 PM
neeter, I did get the feeling he is just really busy and has some trouble keeping up with emails and figuring out which ones he has replied to, etc. I just can't wait for the bike to show up. :)

Jessica, Tara who already received her bike from Germany said hers took about 2 weeks. It's been a week for me and I'll definitely update when I receive it. When I paid, he didn't mention anything about the VAT, so of course, neither did I. We just added the cost of the bike, strap, and shipping together, and he didn't ask me for any more than that. Tara is the one who paid the VAT and was waiting for a refund, so I'm sure she'll update us if she reads your question and gets a chance.

HTH.

LBW
03-19-2007, 08:59 PM
The last I heard from Thomas was that he was still looking into the VAT and would write to me through regular mail with an update. I get the feeling that his inbox is swamped!

I still need to measure. Life's been crazy, so sorry it's taking me so long!

mom2emma
03-20-2007, 01:13 PM
I also asked Thomas about taking out the VAT. I just returned to the States after living in Europe for several years and generally VAT is just added into the price of the item. If you were going into a store to buy a Puky bike and the sign says it costs 99 euros that is all you would pay. Unlike sales tax in the US, VAT is just built into the list price at stores. I assume that is how it works on his website.

Bess

brittone2
03-20-2007, 05:12 PM
if you haven't gotten them yet:

ground to middle of saddle is about 13 1/2 inches at the seat's lowest setting (DS is using this setting and he's like 36 and a quarter inch tall)

ground to middle of saddle at the highest seat setting is about 17 1/2 inches.

HTH

neeter
03-20-2007, 07:30 PM
thanks beth!!!!!!! this is so helpful!!

brittone2
03-21-2007, 08:45 AM
happy to help! My apologies it took so long...everything w/ an infant in arms takes me about 5x as long as it did before LOL ;)

mominjune
04-06-2007, 06:43 PM
The Puky has finally arrived!! It's so cute! It took 3 1/2 weeks, to get to Seattle, but really it shipped out on the 16th so it is exactly 3 weeks. Came pretty much all assembled, just had to put on the handlebar. At first I was a little worried b/c it looks so small (i got the smallest model), but my DD's inseam is about 12 inches, and as I was contemplating raising it from it's lowest setting, I measured it and it was 11inches, as promised, so it should work out really well.

I can't wait for her to wake up and try it out. It's actually sunny today in Seattle. :)

I had been getting worried as the email communication has been slow. What I hadn't realized, was it was not possible to track the package online with a tracking number, which I assumed would be possible with DHL (and it sounded like Thomas had assumed that as well at first since he promised to email me the tracking number, and then told me it was not possible in a later eamil). The packing slip, etc. did not look like DHL, but then again, I can't read a word of German.

I'm just so excited to finally receive it. Yeah!!
I'll be happy to give a review or answer any questions if anyone has any later.

Jen
DD 6-04

jwozy
04-07-2007, 02:30 AM
That's so exciting that you got your puky. I wanted to get a couple of pukys for my kids' birthday. Can you tell me how long it took for Thomas to answer your initial email? I emailed him about 1.5 weeks ago for a price quote and then again last week through his ebay store and haven't heard. I really would like to get my order in :-)

Thanks.

neeter
04-07-2007, 06:58 AM
Thanks for updating us!!! I had emailed Thomas too but after one or two emails, I never heard back from him.

On the BBB-Co-op Board there's a possibility of organizing a puky co-op...

mominjune
04-07-2007, 10:05 AM
Communication was definitely the hard part with Thomas. I initially emailed him and just when I had pretty much forgotten about it, (about a week and a half later) I got a reply. He apologized and said he had been out of town and no one else had bothered to check his mail. His second email with a price quote was much faster once I decided what I wanted (within a day or two). It took him 4 days to mail out the bike once he quickly confirmed he received my paypal payment. And then it took 3 weeks to get here once it mailed. During the 3 weeks, I sent him about 3 more emails inquiring about the tracking number and/or status and those emails were either answered after 4-5 days and the last one (3 days ago) not at all.
ETA on Tuesday 4/10: Just got a reply back from Thomas that he got my emails last week, letting him know we received the bike, etc.- he just got back from Easter holidays today.

A very long process, but it worked out b/c I wasn't in a hurry. In fact DD is getting it as an early bday present.

I wouldn't recommend it for those either in a hurry or get stressed out if the communication is lax, b/c it can be frustrating. I was keeping in mind I had 45 days to file a dispute with paypal once I paid. I was coming up on 25 days, but it felt like longer.

I hope the BBB co-op works out. I was waiting for that to materialize last time and when it didn't I took the plunge myself. Seems like there is more interest in this time.

PS. DD (3 y.o. in June) loves her new bike. She did ask where the pedals were, but there is no way she would be anywhere ready for a two wheel bike with pedals. She looks adorable cruising slowly around the house with the Puky on day one of trying it out.

vwh99
04-07-2007, 09:38 PM
Any info on the Puky co-op? For some reason, I don't see anything listed in that forum....

TIA!

Val
dd 10/03
ds 8/06

neeter
04-09-2007, 12:08 AM
Information is on a separate BBB-co ops board that recently migrated to a new format -- I think that applications for new members are on hold until the current members finish making the "move" from yahoogroups to the new format.

vwh99
04-10-2007, 02:35 AM
Thanks! Would anyone mind PM'ing me with the co-op board info once they are open to new members? Though I may be ordering the Puky XL soon.....

Val