PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have the Costco Sunray from any year? What about Sam's Club Playaround?

momofjandl
03-13-2007, 07:08 AM
Yes, yes..back to the swing sets again.

Does anyone have last year or this years Sunray set from Costco?

After all this looking and deciding I think we have finally decided to go with that one.

We went to the store and it looks pretty big and solid for the price. I know that some posted the reason it was cheaper was b/c it wasn't as high. For those of you with it, does that appear to be true? It was up on a shelf so I coudlnt' see how high the fort bottom was, but it looked to be about 5 ft which is standard for most sets.

Also, for those of you with Costco memberships...are there any % off coupons on swing sets? I know there was for another set they had online. Does this one ever get a coupon?

Lastly..they had 6 in stock and now only 5. Do you think it could wait to be picked up this weekend? I know they will get more in stock..but it's warming here in MA and I'm worried I'll end up losing my chance to get one. They won't let you pay and hold.

Oh..and what about the Sam's Club Playaround? Is that a cedar works set? Does anyone have that one? It's available online only so I can't go and ck out quality.

Thanks!
Ruth

momofjandl
03-13-2007, 09:03 AM
Ok..so I did more searching and am torn between the Costco Sunray (by rainbow I think) and Sam's club Playaround (by cedar works).

I have two boys ages 2.5 and 4. Sam's Club is $300 more and delivery only-ie-can't see it in person.

Does anyone have either that can weigh in-especially the playaround set?

My main concern is that I can't see the cedar works set. The nice thing about it is 2 forts instead of 1. But I am worried that it means 2 small forts. Also the overall height is about 2 ft shorter, so I am worried the dk height might be lower. I like it b/c it has more climing options which my boys are really into. However, the options that are there I could easily add on..like a knotted rope and rope ladder. But b/c of 2 forts that means 2 ladders and 2 ramps to climb into them as opposed to Costcos 1 ramp and 1 ladder into the 1 fort. But in the pict the ramps and ladders appear narrow.

Overall there seem to be more options on the cedar works set, but the quality seems a little lower. The swings chains aren't vinyl covered all the way up like the costco set. There are no grab bars. Things like that.

http://www.sunraypremiumplaygrounds.com/

http://playaround-swingsets.com/

Here are the main differences

Costco Has
1 24 sq ft fort dk height 5 ft
Sandbox and small general store area
larger rock wall (I think)
3 swings (instead of 2)
monkey bars with ladder access
3 and 15 yr warranty
ages 3-11
L17 W14.25 H12.25

Sams Club
Has 2 forts (I called and was told one was 4by6 and the other 2by4, but the 4by6 looks smaller than the costco 4by6 in the picts) would/could not tell me deck height but overall peak height is almost 2 ft shorter.
knotted rope (easily added to costco set)
rope ladder (small and easily added to costco set)
firemans pole
ramp
2 swings instead of 3
2 ladders instead of 1 (costco has the ladder access monkey bars)
2 and 10 yr warranty
ages 2-12
L19 W15 H9.10

Both have similar features otherwise. The weight limits are the same for both. Sorry so long. I just want to make the best investment for our family. I hate that I can't see the Playaround set. But the price difference is also $1299. vs. $1589. Only $290..but it's getting up higher then we wanted to spend too.

Thanks!
Ruth

mominma
03-13-2007, 09:47 AM
There was a lot of talk about the Playaround systems from Cedar Works last Fall on these boards. If you do a search, you will find information.

I did find these posts, which show pictures of the Cedar Works set.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=82&topic_id=31409&mode=full

I am trying to decide between the Explorer on Costco, the Sunray, and the $1500 dollar one on Sam's Club. I think my kids would love the tunnel at the top.

Melissa
DS 9/00
DD 3/03
DD 8/05

momofjandl
03-13-2007, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the post and link. I don't know why, but I never have luck with searches. I must be doing something wrong. But when I search tons of things come up but never what I searched for.

Anyways, the link was great. It appears that the Cedar Works set iss bigger than I thought.

Just curious why you aren't considering that one too..in your list. Also, what is the $1500 with the tunnel made of..it didn't list it and we don't want pressure treated.

Thanks again,
Ruth

mominma
03-13-2007, 12:09 PM
I was not considering anything else until I read your post and checked out the ones at Sam's Club, I really like the look of the Cambridge and I think my kids would have fun climbing and the fort looks more like a treehouse, but for some reason the quality does not look at sturdy. I hate just using online information.

I wish I got the 2006 Sunray with the tire swing. I really do not want the sandbox or picnic table. We actually have a Creative Playthings swingset, but it is over 10 years old - it came with the house, but I want to get a new one, since when my 6 year old is on it the swing area gets creaky. I am leaning towards the Explorer system on Costco's site, I just wish I knew the true manuf. and the weight restrictions.

I did consider the trading post last year, when you could buy it directly from cedar works for about $250 less, but I did not think it had enough for my kids. They really like the swings, so the Explorer with 3 swings and the tire swing seems to fit the bill better.

Melissa
DS 9/00
DD 3/03
It's a GIRL 8/30/05

momofjandl
03-13-2007, 02:39 PM
Melissa,

Funny..my kids like to climb most so I don't care as much about swings..but want a few just in case. I didn't know the 2006 Sunray had a tire swing. That's what my son really likes and I was thinking on the current Sunray set I would just have to replace a swing or 2 with that.

I've been emailing with Bill from that thread you posted and he's been very helpful. I can forward on info he's sent me to you if you like. He really seems to like his current playaround set. There's a $370 cost difference between the 2 sets for us. Not a huge deal but enough to make a difference. Especially since I can't see it in person. And while it has a lot of climbing things..I was worried it didn't have enough either. For some reason the Costco set picts make it look so much bigger..I don't know why. It's basically the same size etc.

So I am still trying to decide...
Ruth

JMS
03-13-2007, 05:43 PM
Hi Melissa,
I'm in a similiar situation.. I WISH I could buy Costco's 2006 swingset for the tire swing. I'm also considering the Cambridge. Do you know if it's also made by Cedarworks? And do you happen to know the height of the swingbeam? I'm hoping to buy a swingset with a swingbeam over 8 feet (closer to 9 or 10 feet would be ideal) b/c I think the higher they can swing, the more years we'll get out of it.

TIA!

momofjandl
03-13-2007, 06:23 PM
Sam's says to call leisure time products for more info.

Here's the site.

http://www.leisuretimeproducts.com/swings.htm

I'm guessing it's treated wood. There is only a 5 yr warranty and only a mention of natural wood roof.

Ruth

mum1day
03-13-2007, 06:52 PM
I have the Sunray from Costco from 2005. It's huge and took quite a while to put together. I don't know what the Sam's one is like, but I am not happy with the quality of the Sunray. It's almost 2 years old and already many parts of the swing are rusting and the bucket seat is broken! I would never buy one again and when we move, we have already decided that we will spend more money on a better quality set.

It is pretty tall, I believe at least 10' at it's highest point.

I do not believe there are ever coupons, but I could be wrong.

Anyway, HTH.

momofjandl
03-15-2007, 01:55 PM
Natasha,

Wow, I'm sorry you don't like your set. That has me worried. It looked pretty solid in the stores.

Where is it rusting? At the screws? I know that they now offer a 3 and 15 yr warranty. Not sure they did when you bought yours. The warranty may cover your swing. Do you have winters where you are? Did you bring the swings in? I know the manual for this year states to bring swings in in weather below 35.

Thanks for your imput.

Anyone else with a Sunray happy or not?

Rut

Karenn
03-15-2007, 02:20 PM
I've posted about this a zillion times, so if you've searched old threads, I'm sure you'll find my opinion. ;) But here it is again: I have last year's Sunray (2006) The kids love it. It was reasonably easy to assemble and has held up well so far. It still feels very sturdy. If I'd had room in my yard I would have bought the larger Play-a-round just because I like the look of it and like the fact that it weathers so nicely.

Interestingly, our friends bought a Sunray several years ago. Maybe 2003 or 2004? (It's the first one they have directions for if you go to the actual Sunray website.) Anyway, our friends feel like our set is far more sturdy than theirs. They feel like theirs is already almost at the end of it's life.

When we visited the Rainbow "showroom", they were also selling the Sunray. It really did not seem any different in size than some of the smaller Rainbow sets. Also, when I asked the Rainbow salesman if I should buy a bigger set so that my kids could play on it longer he said "No, not really. They'll grow out of it at about the same age no matter what size it is." That surprised me too.

Happy shopping! (BTW, If you have a Rainbow showroom nearby, it is worth the drive out there I think. The kids had such a blast playing on all the equipment, even though we didn't buy anything. )

Tondi G
03-15-2007, 05:44 PM
I was going to say that I know Bill had purchased the Play around set and at the time that he posted pics etc he was very pleased!

I think if we were in the market for a playset I'd buy the cedarworks set! I know they just had a clearance sale in December too. I think the sets were maybe 200 bucks off!

I wanted to say that I remember talking to a few people who had the costco set from last year. They said the tire swing was great if the kids could make it go themselves.... if not the poor parents were stuck hunched over trying to push their kids on the tireswing that was under the fort!!!

Good luck with your decision!

jacksmom0902
03-15-2007, 08:55 PM
We have the Sunray 2005 and have been very happy so far. It feels very sturdy and my boys love it. The only problem we've had is that the plastic coating on some of the chains for our swings started coming off within a year of use. I contacted customer service and they quickly mailed us a complete new set of swings. I haven't noticed any rusting (we live in the Southeast US). The playsets at both Sam's and Costco are very popular around here and sell out early in the season. Good luck with your decision!

Karla

momofjandl
03-16-2007, 11:41 AM
Thanks for your post. Good point about the tire swing. I guess I just assumed it was similar to the rainbow one that we tried..where we could acutally almost stand full height next to it. Although I am only 5'2". :) And the set was very big!

Bill said that you really need a flat spot for the cedar works set b/c there isn't a lot of room for adjustment. Sooo...it looks like the Sunray. And even then..we might have trouble. We really don't have a completely level lot.

momofjandl
03-16-2007, 11:44 AM
Karla,

Glad to hear you like your set. How old are your boys? I'm just trying to compare to where my boys are at 2.5 and 4.

I think we should pick it up soon. I posted another thread about a mesg board for the sunray and it seems people are scooping them up just south of us (we're in MA) fast!! Though right now it is snowing here. And it was just 70 yesterday!!!

Ruth

momofjandl
03-16-2007, 11:51 AM
Karen,

Thanks!! I'm so glad you love and your kids love your set. I bet the Sunrays have improved over time so perhaps that is why your friends feel yours is sturdier.

I found a mesg board for the sunray...see my other post here..and basically learned that yes-the sunrays ARE made by rainbow. And in fact they are almost exact as their smaller sets but at 1/2 the cost. I priced out this years sunray through the rainbow catalog and it is about $3000-$4000!!!

One of the major differences is because it is a boxed set the monkey bars are a bit shorter ie. the swings are closer. This is to accomodate box size. The reason they are so much cheaper is b/c they make them in large quantities as opposed to custom design like at rainbow.

Anyways..interesting about the fact that the salesmen said you didn't need a larger set. I'm glad to hear that.

I think what we will do, is get the Sunray. And if and when the kids outgrow it..build a tree house or fort near the property edge in the woods. Then if the set is still good, we might utilize some of the wood or components.

**Anyone have trouble putting their set together on a not completely level lot??

Thanks again!
Ruth

jasmine_bay
03-16-2007, 01:48 PM
If anyone wants last year's Costco set, it's on sale at www.costco.com until Sunday. There is a link on the homepage.

JMS
03-16-2007, 03:06 PM
Are you sure you're not referring to the Yardline for 1199.99? (I couldn't find a link to a 2006 Sunray)

jacksmom0902
03-16-2007, 10:12 PM
Mine are 2 and 4.5. Yes, the weather is crazy here too. Shorts on folks yesterday and back to long pants and long sleeves today. You're getting some great feedback from folks - good luck!

Karla

jasmine_bay
03-16-2007, 10:37 PM
Oops. My goof. It looked like the Sunray from last year with the tire swing beneath the fort that I thought this was it.

Not to go off on a a tangent, but for those with redwood sets, do you have any cracks in the wood? We installed the Cedarworks Playaround set at Christmas. So far we're happy with it, but there are cracks (or "checks") in the wood. Cedarworks says this is to be expected, is normal, and doesn't compromise the integrity of the set. I was just wondering if this happens to redwood as well.

momofjandl
03-17-2007, 09:23 AM
Hi, so you know, this happens to all wood. We have a post and beam house-with exposed beams and posts inside-and there are cks everywhere.

I believe it happens due to climate changes and humidity changes. Usually cking is on the surface and I believe should not split straight through the wood.

But not, it should not compromise the integrity of the set.

HTH!
Ruth

Joyce
03-17-2007, 02:50 PM
We have the 2007 Sunray and love it. My DD is 4 and loves to climb. We got it for her birthday. I really like the look of the set. It should be the same size as the smaller rainbow sets but you can't beat the price.

We also had another company install the set for $350 which was great. It only took a couple hours. It was the same company that put together the Costco display in our store. Best $350 that I've spent lately since my husband didn't have to take off work and recruit someone to help him put it together. I think it would have take my DH 2 days to do it.

There are 3 swings which are close together but it is not a problem since we don't usually use the middle toddler swing.

momofjandl
03-17-2007, 05:03 PM
Joyce,

Thanks for posting. I'm glad to hear your daughter loves the set.

Do you have pretty level ground? Was it hard for them to set up?

I think we are going to buy it, I'm just now worried that our yard is not completely level.

Also..is it huge? Does it take up a ton of space? From the store it looked like it did.

Thanks again!
Ruth

Joyce
03-17-2007, 07:54 PM
I'm going to find some pics and if I can figure out how to post them, I will. We do have a level yard but the installers said that if we didn't they would use concrete to make the set level. I'm still not sure what exactly they were going to do with the concrete. They had installed a number of these sets on uneven lots. Many of the subdivisions around here are on sloping lots.

The installers are going to come back sometime next week to stake the set since they wanted my DD to play on it for awhile before staking it. I guess so that it settles on the ground first.

It took 2 installers from 8:30am till 12:30 pm to put together the set. It was well worth the expense.

It's actually not as big as I thought. We put it toward the back of our lot close to where our house borders the neighbor but with a little playing room behind it.

I'm really glad that I didn't spend the money on a Rainbow set and I'm one of those people who usually goes overboard when it comes to buying stuff for the kids. I spent a lot of time studying the Rainbow catalog. I would rather spend those extra dollars on a Disney vacation. In our area, it seems like kids lose interest in playsets long before they wear out. It may be when they get older and get more involved in sports. I don't know.

momofjandl
03-18-2007, 06:06 PM
Joyce,

Thanks again for your imput.

If you see the installers when they come back do you mind asking them about the cement? I think they probably meant footings or something of the like. But I'd be interested in hearing what they have to say.

How did you say you found your installers? I'm worried about hiring b/c I don't want someone to cut corners. I know DH and I would take longer but it would be stable for sure.

I'm with you on the money front. It would kill me if we spent $3000 and they barely used it. We just want something to entertain them on occasion while we sit and take a load off in the yard this summer.

Again..thanks and I'm glad you like it!
Ruth

cchavez
03-19-2007, 08:26 AM
Our backyard is pretty big but slopes quite a bit.....

Karenn
03-19-2007, 10:10 AM
Our yard is slightly sloped. The set is fine. What Rainbow said they'd do in the case of a sloped yard is level it with extra woodchips.

I mentioned we saw the Sunray at the Rainbow showroom. The way it worked there was Rainbow jacked the price up another $300 or so from Costco, but then offered "free installation." That may be something to check out if you're wanting someone to install it for you. I'm sure they could do it quickly. Your concern about cutting corners may be well founded though. Our next door neighbors spent the money on one of the bigger "real" rainbows and had a terrible time getting the intallers to finish the job. I think they finally ended up threatening a lawsuit or something.

It took my dad and DH 2-3 days to put our Costco set together, and we had to rent a truck to get it here, but I'm confident they did it well. The instruction DVD was really easy to follow and I don't think the work was techinically difficult, just a bit tedious at times.

momofjandl
03-19-2007, 12:17 PM
Thanks Christin and Karen for your response.

Karen-glad to hear that your DH and dad were able to put it together just fine. I think that's what we'll end up doing. DH and I are a little cheap. :)

I'm glad to hear that there are others that did it fine with a sloped yard.

Thanks again,
Ruth

LiznSeb
03-19-2007, 09:20 PM
We have the 2006 costco Sunray. I actually looked very closely at the Playaround last year...I loved all the variety of climbing options and the firemans pole that DS is so into. My husband hated the look of it.

We bought the very last one in our Costco, just before 4th of July (we are in SE pennsylvania).

I never saw a Cedarworks play-a-round in person, but did have the opportunity to see a very basic regular Cedarworks set-up (I am sure many will disagree) but IMO a regular Rainbow is far sturdier than Cedarworks and the Sunray is easily as sturdy if not more so...that thing is heavy!!). It is a beautiful set actually. I have had some rusting of a couple of metal parts where the swings attach to the swingbeam, and the vinyl coating on one swing-chain is starting to come off after less than a year. NOne of that bothers me much, my gripe about it is that the swings are too close! This is only a problem for us when the neighbors come over to play, and not something I am willing to pay an extra 1500 to remedy. Overall we think it's great quality for the price.

My kids are almost-5 and 2. They use it a lot right now, dd especially is really into it, . Our lot is unlevel, although we tried to pick the most level spot in the rear corner. OUr installers didn't need to use concrete, I'm not sure what they did but it must not have been a big issue. again though, the spot was fairly level. My DH is not handy, he briefly was deluded enough to think he could do it with help, but thankfully decided better of it and hired someone. We were concerned about short-cuts and I ended up monitoring them with instructions in hand (their English was not very good) but they ended up doing a good job.

Good luck with your decision, I know it's a tough one!

Liz

momofjandl
03-20-2007, 11:35 AM
Thanks for the very helpful post! I really like the looks and activities of the 2006 Sunray. It seems that there are more options. And my sons love to climb and love tire swings. I was just thinking I could put a tire swing where the current 2007 trapeze is or in place of the swings.

I really was impressed with the sunray playground display. It seemed so massive and sturdy. I just couldn't believe the price. One of those..if it seems to good to be true it probably is kind of thing. But I guess the name brand sets are just so marked up b/c you can customize and add on.

Just FYI-someone said rainbow..or sunray...sent them a new swing when the vinyl started coming off on theirs for free. Just a thought.

I think they'll probably be in stock here a while. I was just getting anxious. But now that we have snow on the ground again...what's the point!!??

I think we've pretty much decided on the sunray. I'll just see if I can customize it in my own way.

Thanks again! Glad to hear you and your family like it!
Ruth