PDA

View Full Version : Computer mouse for preschooler

Java
03-17-2007, 11:09 AM
Does anyone have a mouse made specifically for kids? I am using a notebook wireless for DS and while it's a great size for his little hands, the left vs. right click is really confusing him. I'm looking at getting him either:

this tiger one where he would push a button:
http://www.kid-computers.com/catalog/i_10144.shtml

Or this one from Kidzmouse where supposedly he would squeeze instead of click. From the pics it still looks like a regular mouse so I don't know how the squeezing part would work:
http://www.kidzmouse.com/products/nickelodeon/blues_clues.html

Any opinions?? Thanks!

squimp
03-17-2007, 08:59 PM
My advice, just give him a few weeks. My DD was having a hard time with the mouse, and I started researching kid-friendly ones. Within a few sessions though (which is a couple of weeks around here) she figured it out.

JBaxter
03-17-2007, 09:48 PM
Nathan uses our regular mouse likea champ but he prefers my lap top mouse pad. He can spend hours on Noggin.com if I let him.

caheinz
03-17-2007, 10:01 PM
Ooooh -- so is the touchpad on a laptop pretty easy for them to figure out? I've been wondering if I needed to get a mouse for my laptop, just for DS to use.... he's had some practice with a mouse, but I guess I guard my laptop too closely :)

egoldber
03-18-2007, 06:39 AM
We got a Kidzmouse for Sarah and she used that for awhile. But like a PP said, I think if we had been patient for a few weeks it would have been fine too. One thing I will say is that a simple mouse is best. I know mine and DH's mice are fairly complicated (large, lots of buttons and scroll wheels) and we dug up a plain mouse that came free with one of our computers several years ago. It was perfect for her.

Also, for the first several weeks, I changed the settings on her mouse to reverse the left and right clicks because she had a tendency to left click when she should be right clicking. But she figured that out after a few weeks too.

DD is now an expert at the touchpad on DH's laptop, but I would NOT make that a habit unless you are willing to share your laptop whenever your kid wants to go to noggin.com, KWIM?

jbrandy
03-18-2007, 04:44 PM
I would also recommend the kidzmouse. We have one and my 3 year old has done fantastic with it. We also have the kidzmouse keys -- it is a keyboard for kids that has less keys and does not repeats letters as quickly if they hold the button down too long. You can find both my going to google.

We like you use our mouse with a wireless laptop and the kidzmouse works like a charm! I like this mouse because it is smaller and fits in his hand and is much easier for DS to press the buttons.

Beth B
DS 4-4-03
#2 DS 4-07

jamsmu
03-18-2007, 05:51 PM
We have the Kidzmouse--the squeeze works because you can squeeze the sides of the mouse from many angles. Its great for the little ones (DS2 started using it as soon as he could reach the computer--anything to be like DS1). Didn't take long for DS1 to be able to move on to the "real" mouse, though.

Java
03-19-2007, 10:52 PM
Thanks for all the responses everyone. I went and bought a notebook mouse (smaller for his hands) and the scroll button was driving him nuts.

Well, actually, it was driving me nuts: don't roll the wheel, don't roll the wheel, DON'T ROLL THE WHEEL!!