PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have the KinderBike? (if you can stand one more balance bike question!)

o_mom
03-18-2007, 10:29 AM
Does anyone have this bike?

I was thinking of getting it for DS1 - he is 38" tall, inseam with shoes on measures 15". I am wary of ordering from GliderRider and at half the price (outlet bikes) this seems like a decent option. I like the footboard of the PUKY bikes, but don't think it is worth paying that much more for.

So, just looking for anyone that has experience (good or bad) with the KinderBike before I take the plunge!

zoestargrove
03-20-2007, 12:28 PM
bumping this up. I could have written the same question.

Kelly

BudgieStew
03-20-2007, 07:39 PM
I went ahead and ordered it after pursuing this site for the last few weeks. I loved the look of the Puky but was wary of ordering from GliderRider and any way after the exchange rate(we are in Canada) it would have just been silly to spend close to 200.00 for a 3 year old's bike. ETA DS is also 38 inches tall, will be 3 on Saturday but I have no idea of his inseam..pretty sure he is all torso at this point(almost 15 inches I knew this from car seat shopping lol)

The KinderBike is supposed to arrive sometime this week..Fedex handed it off to a local delivery company(rural area)
It's DS's Easter gift so here is hoping that the snow melts in time for Easter and he can get out and use it.
I will try and remember to review it here after we receive it and put it together and after we use it..as the two events may be a few weeks apart.

I'm going to buy the Radio Flyer Scoot About for DD 14 months since the reviews I have found have been pretty positive.

BudgieStew
03-21-2007, 01:40 PM
It arrived.
The box had been slightly damaged and one part of one of the sides of the wheel was sticking out...sigh.
I almost had it completely put together quite easily and then the one lug nut/lock nut was jammed on and I am not strong enough to loosen it. So I could not attach the last wheel.
I think this was the part that was sticking out of the box so it must have got jammed on during the delivery. Hopefully DH will be able to get it off for me.
Besides that it seems like a sturdy little bike for the price.
I do find the paint does scrape off more easily then I would like when attaching the different parts but once its put together it shouldn't be a problem.
DD tried to get on and go even before I had any of the wheels attached.
So even if DS does not like it, DD will:) once her legs are long enough.
I had a friend pick up the Scoot About for her today.

For now its in the basement until DH has a chance sans children to get that lug nut off.

HTH

BudgieStew
03-22-2007, 01:33 PM
DH easily loosened the lug nut and attached the second wheel no problem. Now we what until Easter to see how the riding experience is.

o_mom
03-22-2007, 02:00 PM
Thanks so much for your review! My goal this weekend is to get to Walmart or something and get a good look at the 12" bikes. I told DH if he can't convert it to my satisfaction for $10 or less I'm ordering a KinderBike. :-) (see my other thread on using a regular bike....)

BTW, did you get an 'outlet' bike or a regular one?

momsJen
03-23-2007, 08:26 PM
Got our KinderBike 'bout 3 weeks ago. Son loves it. We bought an outlet bike, figuring our son would scratch it up regardless. Didn't really find anything wrong with it so maybe they made a mistake and sent us a full priced version. Anyway, i would call it a best buy. Good luck! J

BudgieStew
03-23-2007, 08:49 PM
Yeah we got the outlet version as well. I ordered off their e-bay auction so I could pay with PP.
I haven't seen anything wrong with it as of yet.

o_mom
04-02-2007, 10:56 AM
We got the Kinderbike!

It actually came while we were out of town (ordered Sat. Mar 24th, shipped that Monday and it arrived Thursday). Put it together last night. It seems pretty well made, but the back tire had issues. The rubber didn't seem to be molded correctly so that it had bulges and kind of looks wobbly even though the nuts are all tight. I called today and they knew exactly what I was talking about and are sending out a new tire. So far so good on the CS, we will see if the new tire is better.

I did get an outlet bike and could see some of the paint imperfections (not as glossy in some places, a few imperfections here or there), but you can't really tell unless you are inspecting it closely. It certainly won't matter in the long run and wouldn't be worth $20 to get the 'perfect' ones.

I would have liked to pursue the regular bike conversion more. (Walmart has 12" bikes for $25 this week.) I just can't drag the kids around at this point and DH kind of lost interest.

punrocker
04-02-2007, 11:59 AM
We received our bike on Friday (ordered on 3/25) and DH noticed the lumpy looking tires. One of the wheels isn't 100% true, but DS seemed to do fine with the bike when we took him to the park on Saturday. It's good to know that the company will replace tires, though.

DH, who cycles and skateboards, said the bike "looked like it was welded by monkeys," LOL, but that it seemed strong enough for the purpose. He also wasn't too thrilled with the bearings, but for the price, I wasn't expecting German quality, ABEC-rated precision bearings!

The saddle isn't quite so easy to adjust and tighten as the "quick release" title implies. It actually slid down at one point while we were at the park. We may try to find a better collar for the seat.

We got an outlet bike, too, and there were some blemishes and maybe one tiny ding, but nothing to detract from the functionality of the bike.

Also, DS is 3.5 and about 39.5" tall, and I don't think there's a whole lot of growing room for him. He's a lot leggier than I thought, especially since it was impossible to measure his inseam without him dissolving into a fit of giggles and wiggles. ;)

He had a lot of fun on the bike, though. He was cruising pretty confidently after about an hour, and would even stop to try to lift his feet and balance in place. He did a lot better after we lowered the saddle a little, and he could position his feet wider so that his heels didn't knock into the rear tire (he has a bit of an out-toeing gait).

All in all, the outlet bike seems like a decent value for the price. If DS ends up really loving the bike, I may go ahead and get him the PUKY XL from Germany when he outgrows the KinderBike (or encourage the grandparents to spring for it).

Edited to fix typos.

o_mom
04-02-2007, 12:24 PM
DH was also not so impressed with the welds, but he too is a cyclist, so his standards are a bit higher.

I haven't put DS1 on it yet. I wanted to resolve the tire issue first (got a shipping confirmation just a few minuted ago - within a few hours of talking to them). Maybe tonight when DH gets home and someone can work 1 on 1 with him. I'll report back after we try it.

american_mama
04-02-2007, 09:23 PM
double post

american_mama
04-02-2007, 09:23 PM
I have been checking this thread, so was glad to read the latest replies. Can someone who has the kinderbike measure the seat height at the lowest setting, from floor to top of the seat? I want to know when it will fit my small 2.5 year old.

Also, my Fun One bike also has some bulges in the tire. I got it in December, but never thought to call customer service. I wonder if it is too late.

Also, o_mom, why do you wish you had pursued the regular bike/just remove the wheels option more? I am all for added functionality, but the price difference seemed small between the two options, plus I wonder if a child would have outgrown the bike by the time they were ready to ride it with pedals? Just wanted to know your thoughts since I'll be in your shoes very soon.

o_mom
04-03-2007, 06:25 AM
>I have been checking this thread, so was glad to read the
>latest replies. Can someone who has the kinderbike measure
>the seat height at the lowest setting, from floor to top of
>the seat? I want to know when it will fit my small 2.5 year
>old.
>

I get 14" at the lowest setting. DS2 is 23 months, 31 in tall and he could just touch his tiptoes with it on the lowest setting. I think in 6 months he will be able to walk on it.

I measured 17.5" at the highest setting.

DS1 is 38" and we had it set at about 15.5" for him to stand and be able to walk with it, so he has about 2" to go before it is outgrown.

>Also, o_mom, why do you wish you had pursued the regular
>bike/just remove the wheels option more? I am all for added
>functionality, but the price difference seemed small between
>the two options, plus I wonder if a child would have outgrown
>the bike by the time they were ready to ride it with pedals?
>Just wanted to know your thoughts since I'll be in your shoes
>very soon.

Mainly because I'm cheap and like to figure things out, LOL. You are right that it isnt' that much difference - about $30 - and they would probably outgrow it before the pedals were needed. It was also somewhat of an unknown ordering online, sight unseen with no way to test it out first, so there is the comfort factor on my end.

I do think that we will get lots of use out of this with three kids so it is probably worth it. DS1 is very cautious and had to be coaxed to use it last night, but DS2 wanted to ride it and cried when he couldn't. I imagine, like most things around here, DS2 will be riding it first. He is close to pedalling the tricycle that DS1 will barely sit on, LOL.

american_mama
04-03-2007, 01:52 PM
Thanks so much! I thought the outlet Kinderbikes were like $40, making the difference $15 or less between the two options. I too would pause at a $30 difference. BTW, I wish I knew your name: I have been gradually recognizing your threads over the months and often wonder.

o_mom
04-03-2007, 02:24 PM
With shipping it was $54 for the outlet bike ($40 + $13.xx Shipping). With the bike on sale for $25 this week, it would be about $25-30 depending on tax.

Ah, yes, the name thing... every time I think I'll share more info, the drama on the board heats up and I back off (that's why I never post pics of the kids faces, etc.) I really need to come up with a good pseudonym, but I am just not that clever. :-)

molls
04-09-2007, 10:35 AM
Can I ask where you ordered your bike from? I live in Vancouver and the only ones online I've found are about $70.00 without shipping.
Thanks
Molls

o_mom
04-09-2007, 11:02 AM
www.mykinderbike.com

The outlet ones are $40 + shipping which was $14 for me.

I received the replacement wheel in about 3 days and it is just fine!