PDA

View Full Version : Current thoughts on Sigg bottles....

dylansnan
03-29-2007, 04:48 AM
I did a search and read a few posts about concerns with the interior coating and such. Just wondering what others currently think about them.

TIA

BeachBum
03-29-2007, 05:27 AM
We have them for ourselves and for DS. I would not buy them again. I think the water tastes funny after being in there a while. That is the problem we were trying to avoid by buying the bottles. They weren't worth the $$ for us.

MarisaSF
03-29-2007, 08:52 AM
If you're looking for an alternative, I've been really happy with my Kleen Kanteen SS ones.
The Siggs are so cute though!

beckyr88
03-29-2007, 06:39 PM
We've had our Sigg bottles for about a year now, and we're really happy with them. (one adult, two kids) Yes, if the water sits in the car all day, it tastes funny, but for normal day-to-day stuff, I really love having them. Plus, they're cute!!

C99
03-29-2007, 09:29 PM
>We've had our Sigg bottles for about a year now, and we're
>really happy with them. (one adult, two kids) Yes, if the
>water sits in the car all day, it tastes funny, but for normal
>day-to-day stuff, I really love having them. Plus, they're
>cute!!

Ditto this - only I don't think the water tastes funny after sitting around all day. Certainly better than water sitting around in plastic bottles/cups does! We have 3 kid bottles (.3L) and each kid has one to keep in his/her room at night. I keep meaning to buy a .6L one for myself, but haven't done so yet.

leslieu
03-30-2007, 12:39 AM
Not too completely high jack the post, but how easy/hard do you find the Sigg bottles to clean? Especially the lid/mouth piece part.

I'm planning on getting a few and I want to know what I'm in for. If they will as hard to clean as some sippy cups we've had. Right now we are using the Take n toss kind with the straw.

TIA
Leslie

dylansnan
03-30-2007, 12:57 AM
I found a brand-new one (stickers, tags and all) at a local re-sale store. I bought it, but afterwards got to thinking, maybe it wasn't a good choice. I was worried that something "dangerous" had been discovered about them. But I think for what I paid ($1) I'll keep it and use it for a while.

Before finding it- I was planning on getting Kleen Kanteens, but I'll wait on that for a bit.

dylansnan
03-30-2007, 01:00 AM
You aren't supposed to put them in the dishwasher- I know that. Both styles of mouth piece I have seen can be taken apart so, I think the whole thing would be easy cleaned with hot soapy water and a bottle brush.

HTH

tg_canada
03-30-2007, 12:49 PM
>I did a search and read a few posts about concerns with the
>interior coating and such. Just wondering what others
>currently think about them.
>
>TIA

What concerns do people have with the interior coating? An independent testing lab revealed 0% leaching of the bottle/lining. Here are a couple of articles:

http://www.reusablebags.com/news.php?action=details&id=144
http://ecochildsplay.blogspot.com/2007/03/sigg-update.html

We love ours, other than you can dent them. :) But of course that can happen with any metal bottle. And at least they don't split/crack when they are dropped like plastic. Another great thing is, you can put acidic beverages in them without any leaching (Gatorade style drinks, apple juice, tomato juice, etc.). Acidic beverages can cause some types of stainless steel to leach nickel. I am not sure if Kleen Kanteen stainless steel is affected by acidic beverages (hopefully not!).

I have NEVER had the water taste funny in mine. I've even tasted water that was left in a bottle for 2 weeks in our truck! (I was dying of thirst and we were far from a rest stop and the bottle was under my seat!). We don't drink tap water though, only reverse osmosis or distilled, so perhaps that makes a difference? (in which case it would be the tap water tasting funny after awhile and not the bottle's fault?).

dylansnan
03-30-2007, 01:12 PM
Thanks for the article. I am wondering if it was this mis-information that cause the comments I was reading. Old posts from here- maybe a year ago talking about possible leaching if overheated, or if used with acidic beverages. And concerns about aluminum and alzheimers??? I appreciate the correct information :-)

I'll be using mine confidently.

tg_canada
03-30-2007, 01:48 PM
>Thanks for the article. I am wondering if it was this
>mis-information that cause the comments I was reading. Old
>posts from here- maybe a year ago talking about possible
>leaching if overheated, or if used with acidic beverages. And
>concerns about aluminum and alzheimers??? I appreciate the
>correct information :-)
>
>I'll be using mine confidently.

I think sometimes information is misinterpreted. People may read it too quickly, or just take what someone says to be truthful rather than reading a researched article.

As for overheating, I know that you can't cook in a SIGG because the heat may damage the OUTER coating (I haven't read anything about leaching if heated). I have also read (and am concerned about) the link between Alzheimer's and aluminium. It was one of my main concerns before I purchased our SIGG bottles so I researched a bunch before buying any. The bottle is made of aluminium (to make it lightweight), but the inner coating prevents any leaching of aluminium into the beverage (as per the testing from the independent laboratory). I think many years ago, SIGG was using a different type of lining that they found did leach some aluminium and when they discovered it, they switched to this new water-based lining and haven't had anymore issues. This also means to me that they are a concerned manufacturer and are willing to fix any problems that may arise.

C99
03-30-2007, 02:37 PM
Since we use water in them almost exclusively, I don't wash them all that often. I just soak them in hot water and soap and rinse well. The tops all do come apart, so it's not hard to scrub them out with a sponge.

pb&j
04-02-2007, 11:01 AM
I have one and like it, no funny taste to my water, cute, lightweight. However, I hate that it can't go in the dishwasher. With such a narrow opening, I feel like even with a bottle brush, I can't get it really clean. I don't know if I'd buy another.

-Ry,
mom to Max the one year old
and my girl in heaven

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/37124.gif

brittone2
04-02-2007, 05:27 PM
There was some testing by one of the environmental groups that showed it did leech some amount of aluminum when left in a hot car for example. It didn't leech at room temperature.

We like our Klean Kanteens.

tg_canada
04-02-2007, 07:42 PM
>There was some testing by one of the environmental groups
>that showed it did leech some amount of aluminum when left in
>a hot car for example. It didn't leech at room temperature.
>
>We like our Klean Kanteens.

Can you provide a resource for this information? Are you sure this isn't the outdated testing results that prompted SIGG to change their lining years ago?

brittone2
04-03-2007, 08:36 AM
I didn't know they switched their linings...good to know! I haven't looked into it in something like 2 years, so that explains it. Thanks for sharing.

I just ordered the Klean Kanteen sippy for DD. I've been wanting to get one for a while.