PDA

View Full Version : Trying to learn about Thomas

amck
05-02-2007, 02:48 PM
I'm new to this. Forgive me!

Are there other wooden tracks that are compatible w/ Thomas but NOT Thomas (aka are there cheaper ways to buy track and trains)? My parents rec'd some Thomas trains and track, but they need more track, gear etc. I'd like to purchase some for them, but obviously want to spend as little as possible.

smilla653
05-02-2007, 03:43 PM
Many brands are compatible -- Brio, IKEA, maybe also Maxim, plus ones sold occasionally at Costco. My favorite savings technique is to find used Brio track at consignment shops or on ebay.

zoestargrove
05-03-2007, 12:39 PM
The generic wooden track (maxim is one brand) that is sold at Target, Costco, etc works with the wooden rainway Thomas.

Thomas wooden rainway is NOT compatible with the take away thomas line and the plastic one that is sold at Target.

We picked up a HUGE bin of track, trains, etc at a yardsale for $15.
Yardsales, craigslist, and second hand stores are probably the cheapest way to acquire more.

If you have an AC Moore close by that sells Thomas, you can use their 40% and 50% coupons. They sell some specially packaged sets that will give you an entire track setup, accessories and trains with the coupon for as little as $30.

luckymom
05-04-2007, 05:48 AM
ToysRUs also sells their own house brand of wooden trains and track that work with Thomas. I'm a big fan of the AcMoore/Michaels coupon route (just know that around any kid present buying holiday, ie easter xmas, etc they ALWAYS put thomas on sale for %20 off so you can't use the %40 coupon. they start this around the beginning of Nov. for the xmas holiday). If yours is a thomas fan, generic track is a great way to save money - its hard to pass of generic trains when they know all of the characters :)

Have fun
Lucy

rlu
05-04-2007, 12:55 PM
We bought a large generic set from Walmart (can't remember brand name) that does work however the wood is significantly softer so the train "slows down" as you push it from the brio track to the Walmart track. We do not have any actual Thomas track, just Brio and generics.

Brio was selling at Tuesday Morning last year, but their inventory turns over quickly and I haven't seen it since. If you see Brio at yardsales, etc., suggest you consider it since it is pretty good quality.

FYI - not all the Michael's around us sell Thomas so you want to call ahead.