PDA

View Full Version : Need fabulous garbage truck for 2yo bday

smilla653
05-02-2007, 03:40 PM
My son loves watching our city garbage trucks. I would love to get him a fabulous toy garbage truck for his second birthday. I would like something that is reasonably attractive, accurate, and relatively appropriate for a two year old (ie. I would like some sort of dumping mechanism that he can do himself. Tiny chokable parts are a mild concern, but not a huge issue, as he is relatively OK with meant-for-3-year old play food, trains, and the like). And do I want rear-loading or side-loading?

We have a number of WOW brand vehicles, but not the garbage truck. I wonder if it's a bit too stylized/babyish (he really responded to a fire engine at a friend's house that was more big-boyish). I love the wooden Fagus vehicles, but I find the garbage truck bins a bit clumsy to manipulate. I vaguely remember seeing a brand of toy trucks at an independent toy store nearby that were Bruder brand, maybe? But I'm not sure if those are too "old" for him.

Moms of boys -- what are the premiere vehicle brands, anyway?

tzipora
05-02-2007, 11:22 PM
We have one of the Bruder garbage trucks, which my son received as a present at about 18 months. It immediately became one of his favorite toys, and still gets a lot of play time. As long as you don't mind other toys (like matchbox cars) being dumped in and out of it, it's great.

sdjeppa
05-02-2007, 11:33 PM
We have the Tonka one that was sold at Costco over the holidays, and its still a HUGE HIT. One of the favorites around here.

Dcclerk
05-02-2007, 11:38 PM
I was going to recommend the Bruder one, too. It has been around for a couple years for us, and still gets a lot of play. They are not usually cheap at the toy stores, but I just saw a bunch at my local Marshalls for around $20, which was a great price.