PDA

View Full Version : Can we build it, yes he can!

niccig
05-02-2007, 04:55 PM
DS is into building..we build with blocks and lego, he has his Bob tool belt and we fix all types of things. I want to get some other building toys. We're also having a construction themed birthday party, so whatever I get can be used for that.

I was thinking of the cardboard bricks like at discount school supply
Maybe some Bristle blocks. Someone also posted about the gears toy a few days back. Any other suggestions for my little builder?

ETA he's 2.5 yo

new_mommy25
05-02-2007, 05:33 PM
Bristle blocks are fun but they can be a choking hazed since there are many small pieces. They also can be hard to stick together or they can fall apart easily. My DS would get frusterated with them at that age but now he is great with them.

niccig
05-03-2007, 05:28 PM
Thanks. I'll wait on the bristle blocks. DS does get frustrated easily. I saw several other building connecting toys, but DS is still too young. I might get a few more blocks and duplo for him for now.

nicci

brittone2
05-03-2007, 05:45 PM
does he have unit blocks yet? DS loves his. I really want to get a nice maple set someday, but the Melissa and Doug ones we have have worked out really well for us. I've read mixed reviews of them here, but the ones we got have been awesome. Maple would be nicer, but for now, the rubberwood M&D ones keep DS very happy. I also got a set of unit blocks (very used but still very usable!) from ebay inexpensively a while back.

niccig
05-03-2007, 05:55 PM
What are unit blocks? He's got 1 set of coloured blocks with different shapes. At the moment he likes to build a small stack and then with his toy hammer knock it to the ground.

niccig
05-03-2007, 06:01 PM
I looked it up. Our set was bought in the UK and fits into a wooden wagon - not a ton of blocks and they seem to be unit. I think I'll get him a few more..it's something he'll grow into.

ETA - any suggestions for how many blocks to start with???

rlu
05-04-2007, 12:59 PM
We got the M&D cardboard bricks for DS at the local teacher store. He loves playing with them, we stack he knocks down. Now he helps stack too. Some of them got crushed/stepped on and don't stack as well now, but overall a really good buy for us.

stefani
05-05-2007, 12:19 AM
We don't have it, but I think Magna-Tiles will be great building "blocks", although it is pricey.

niccig
05-05-2007, 11:00 PM
Ohh, I like these. They also have modular cars, so you can build your own, but I might need to wait a little for those. I used their "where to buy" search and find a Lakeshore Learning Store close by. I didn't think there was one. Great find. Thanks.

MirandaMoes
05-06-2007, 11:29 AM
wedgits are great! i got my dd two sets and she loves them! they are really cute and different. try amazon.
good luck!!

miranda

teachermommy
05-06-2007, 12:17 PM
FYI A 30 piece set of wedgits are 40% right now at Amazon.com. They are $19.99 with free shipping over $25. These are one of my 4 YO's favorite toys. He loves to build things with them.