PDA

View Full Version : What age for add on trailing bike thing?

betsydenny
05-04-2007, 07:21 AM
I don't mean the trailers like Chariot, I mean the bike attachment where the kid pedals and it attaches to the back of mom/dad's bike.
There is one for sale in the REI catalog and I am tempted but want to know what ages these are appropriate for?

TIA!
Betsy

lfp2n
05-04-2007, 09:03 AM
We just bought the Allycat one for DD and she just turned 4. She is average height (about 40-41 inches) and I'd say with the seat at its lowest she can just tall enough to reach the pedals and pedal. She really loves it, I'm a little nervous so far and make sure that I cycle behind on my bike so that I block any cars but DH loves it and isn't nervous at all. You have to be pretty strong though as the bike is 30 lb and DD is 38 so thats nearly 70 extra lb behind you! Also not sure if it makes a difference but she is used to riding a proper bike with training wheels.

HIH

Lucy DD 3/03

squimp
05-04-2007, 03:17 PM
I've been looking around and asking about these. The consensus is that these are good for kids who can ride a bike without training wheels, so I'm waiting until my DD is 4.5 or 5. She has been riding a training wheel bike since 2.5, but I'm concerned that she might get distracted sitting on the tagalong or trailabike. It does depend on the kid and your comfort level.

MamaKath
05-06-2007, 10:59 PM
Definitely depends on the kid. My ds is 5 and is having difficulty getting the hang of bike riding. We are considering one to help him get the hang of it and be able to keep up. We have looked at Target and Costco, both have them under $100. Didn't think to check REI, definitely checking out their sale. :-) I have had friends use them with kids as young as 3 years old. As a kid my folks had a true tandem bike and it was a blast to ride on the back, I would think these would be lots of fun too!

betsydenny
05-07-2007, 10:22 AM
So I was all set to order one from REI when I found one in mint shape at a yard sale for $25!!!! Yippee!

I hooked it up to my bike and my dear 4 year old hopped right on! She has refused to ride the 2wheeler with training wheels she got for her birthday so I thought she would be reluctant about this but no! She LOVED it!

We just went around the block but I found it much easier than having her smushed in the toddler seat right behind me! And she can pedal and help (when she wants) which is great!

So anyway- Score!! on both fronts! So glad she loves it and so glad I got such a deal!

Thanks for the input- guess this is the right age for this!

Betsy