PDA

View Full Version : Wood v. Plastic Question

TracyBee
05-06-2007, 05:50 PM
This is a genuine question - not intended to spark a debate or anything.

I know lots of parents on here allow their children to only play with wooden toys because of the chemicals in plastic. My question is aren't there chemicals in the wood toys, too? The wood has a coating on it so there aren't and splinters as well as paint - which if chewed on can easily be ingested.

DD has her fair share of both, but her kitchen set and food is all wood. She had some of the food in her mouth, so it got me to thinking in a way wood may be more harmful because she can gnaw and ingest it. Anyone insight here?

sdbc
05-06-2007, 07:20 PM
No insight, but I wonder/worry about that, too. We have mostly wood toys, but really mainly because *I* prefer the look (and our living room doubles as the playroom)--I have not idea what's in the shellac. I'm confident there isn't lead, but I have no idea what else is in there.

DD is past the age of putting things in her mouth now, luckily.
Sue, mommy to Aurora (Rory) born 5/13/04

MamaKath
05-06-2007, 10:45 PM
I prefer wood, but I also worry about the chemicals. i worry most with the cheaper wood toys that are painted. I have heard the occasional lead paint recall come up and it creeps me out. No real insight though, I am interested in what others have to say.

o_mom
05-07-2007, 06:54 AM
Good hardwood will not splinter even if not finished at all. We have hardwood blocks which have no coating at all and they do not splinter. The really good (and $$$) wooden toys usually have a mineral oil finish or beeswax which are child friendly. This is mainly to keep the wood from staining, not to prevent splinters.

We have a mix of plastic and wood toys. They plastic has just as much wear as the wood. Our FP little people have some paint coming off. Unless they were really cheap wood toys where there is concern about lead paint, I would not worry about it.

You could always go with wool food if you are concerened.

brittone2
05-07-2007, 01:13 PM
A lot of the European toys also have really strict safety standards. They are generally more strict than US safety standards IMO. The EU bans all phthalates from kid toys for example.

I don't worry about the wooden toys. DS has some lesser quality wooden stuff, but he's not chewing on his things and hasn't for a long time. DD uses mostly Haba teethers, etc.

ITA that the quality hardwood stuff doesn't even need a finish. They sand it super smooth (I'm thinking of some beech marble track stuff we have from Haba, etc.)

I'll take my chances w/ the quality wooden stuff over plastic.