PDA

View Full Version : Sand Box vs. Sand Table

onjbj
05-08-2007, 09:50 AM
I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I missed it! I'd like to know your opinions on a sand box vs a sand table, and why you like one over the other. I'm leaning towards a sand table, but wanted some input. Thanks!

Karin

Jen841
05-08-2007, 11:56 AM
Based on child memories, we have a rather large sandbox we build b/c nothing out there met our expectations. The boys LOVE it and will play in it as much as we allow.

DH and I had sandboxes our fathers/grandfathers had built us. They were bigger than what you can find, and DH said there could only be benches on 2 ends so you can run trucks up and down the sides. I required benches, 2 at least, for mudpies ect (my former expertise.)

My 2 cents, put on your kids hat and think what you would want.

zoestargrove
05-08-2007, 12:05 PM
I think they are different enough to have both.

Last year, (boys were 3 and 1.5) we bought a sand table. It got TONS of use - still does. We've filled it up with just sand/just water/ a mixture of cornstarch and water to change things up.

This year, we're planning on building a BIG sand box like pp mentioned. This year my boys are into digging up the flower beds, trucking the dirt and mulch around the yard. They will get loads of use out of a sandbox.

new_mommy25
05-08-2007, 01:43 PM
We've always had both but the sandbox always wins. If I had to choose I would go sandbox. However if you are limited for space than the sand tables are great. There is a new one that just came out with a crane that I know my DS would love.

brittone2
05-08-2007, 02:35 PM
Sandbox. I'd consider a sand and water table for use with something like pea gravel (for kids beyond choking hazard age ;) ) and water, so it is different.

We have the naturally playful sandbox, and DS has played with it at least 3-4x a week if not daily for 2 years. He LOVES that thing.

If I could get a sand and water table for a good deal, I'd consider putting it away for DD.

We sometimes just take a rubbermaid bin of water out to the deck and fill it with cups, spoons, ladles, and use muffin tins, etc. with it. That's what DS uses for water play if we haven't filled the pool.

SnuggleBuggles
05-08-2007, 09:25 PM
Sand table is better, imo, b/c they don't sit in the sand. Far less messy.

Beth

almostamom
05-08-2007, 11:15 PM
We chose a sand box. I wanted DS to be able to sit in it, get dirty, and have sand in his shoes. DS has some texture issues, so it's been great therapy for him. We also have a separate water table. We put water in it in the warm months (because DS likes to sit in it!) and rice/beans/whatever in it in the cooler months. The rest of the mamas in our playgroup think I'm nuts because when our playdates are out our house I end up with sand and rice everywhere. The kids, however, love it and I don't mind a bit - DH is a different story ;)

HTH,
Linda

onjbj
05-09-2007, 08:18 AM
Thanks for the input everyone. I was leaning towards the sand table b/c it is less messy. I thought that if the kids (2yr old b/g twins) are outside playing in their little pool and then want to play with the sand, if they were to go in the sandbox, well, yuck!! At least with the table, they wouldn't have sand sticking to every crack and crevice!! I also thought they'd have more room to play if they weren't both sitting in a sandbox, but standing alongside a table. Oh, who knows, maybe we'll end up with both!! They're 2, I guess they'll play with whatever we buy!! It's us grownups that are so concerned with "what the kids will like more"!

I never understood the sand/water table together. Don't they get mixed together and make a mess? Sandy water, wet sand?? I'm a little bit of a clean freak. (As if you couldn't tell!)

o_mom
05-09-2007, 08:58 AM
We have a sandbox and a water table. I went with the water table over a kiddie pool for safety and like you I didn't want sand and water together. My sister had just a sand table, but her 2 yo wanted to climb up in it, so she ended up with a sandbox as well and just uses the table for water now.

They do get messy in a sandbox, but we just strip them down outside, brush it all out with a towel and that keeps most of the mess down. I do limit it to one session a day - no running in and out of the house from the sandbox.

onjbj
05-09-2007, 10:22 AM
My husband said he would just take the legs off the sand table if they really seemed to want to get in it- we'll see!

Karin

SnuggleBuggles
05-09-2007, 12:04 PM
I know part of being a kid is getting messy but the sand just gets trapped in so many places. :) Ds used to pour sand over his head and it would go down his shirt and into his diaper. Even stripping naked outside we would still miss sand.

I know my ds wouldn't fit in our Step2 sand table so you might want to eyeball the table you are considering.

Beth

o_mom
05-09-2007, 12:56 PM
LOL, they can still pour it on their heads from a sand table ;-) (ask me how I know....)

SnuggleBuggles
05-09-2007, 01:27 PM
Oh, I know...that's what we have. :) I was just imaging that much sand in his diaper/ underwear all the more if he was actually sitting in sand. :)

Beth

zoestargrove
05-09-2007, 02:37 PM
yeh, they get mixed up immediately. We first had it set up half and half, then let the water out and it became a sand box...when the sand was mostly spilled out from playing...we emptied it and made it into a water table.

jasmine
05-09-2007, 10:54 PM
>Sandbox. I'd consider a sand and water table for use with
>something like pea gravel (for kids beyond choking hazard age
>;) ) and water, so it is different.
>
>

Pea gravel sounds like a great idea. Where do you get it from?

Thanks.