PDA

View Full Version : Backpack & lunch tote recommendations

AJs Mommy
05-08-2007, 11:51 AM
My almost 5 yr old ds is starting Kindergarten in the Fall and since he is going to camp at school for a week this summer, I want to buy his school backpack & lunch tote now so he can use it for camp. I like the PBK Fairfax 7 backpack & lunch tote and I especially like that they can be monogrammed. Is the size ok for a big 5 yr old? Any other backpacks & lunch totes that are better? Also, any recommendations for hot/cold food storage for inside the lunch tote is appreciated-I have no idea where to even look for ways to store his lunch safely for those hours between packing and eating. Thanks.

redhookmom
05-10-2007, 07:05 PM
Land's End has a junior size backpack. It is slightly smaller but still big enough to hold the take home folder and lunchbox.

HTH

SnuggleBuggles
05-10-2007, 09:35 PM
I would consider the LE ones too. The jr. size looks nice. Check out LL Bean too. I have had great luck with their backpacks over the years.

Beth

C99
05-10-2007, 11:57 PM
My kids both love their LE lunch totes, which look like mini backpacks but have a carry handle rather than a strap (and a hook to attach to a backpack). I got them for under $10 each at the LE inlet. My DD's, which is a newer model, has a great little pocket on the outside. Both hold a sandwich container, sippy cup and another small container. If you use plastic baggies, they'd probably hold more.

MelissaTC
05-14-2007, 07:01 PM
My DS has been using a LL Bean jr. backpack and lunch box for over a year now (for preschool and camp). It has held up great. The backpack during the summer held a bottle of water, sunscreen, pool towel, change of clothes, and a lunch box. During the school year it has held a change of clothes, folder, lunch box and sometimes his jacket. It is also cheaper than the LE one (at least it was when I bought it!).

JacksMommy
05-17-2007, 06:05 PM
We love the built NY Gourmet Getaway lunchbag http://www.reusablebags.com/store/built-gourmet-getaway-large-insulated-lunch-tote-style-series-p-930.html
which we use with the laptop lunches bento box
http://www.reusablebags.com/store/laptop-lunches-bento-wbook-p-528.html

We don't yet need a backpack on top of everything, though, so not sure how these would fit in a backpack - they are pretty roomy!

Laurel
Mama to Jack 6/02 and Maddy 12/04

Babywearing education in Napa, CA

riostoker
05-18-2007, 07:13 PM
Some schools require that backpacks are big enough to fit a full-sized folder. If you want the PBK one, you may want to check that a folder fits in it. My kindergartener uses the Land's End Jr. one and matching LE lunchbox. It has worked out great!

ast96
05-19-2007, 09:39 AM
I love the Stephen Jospeh backpacks and lunck sacks. You can find them online at boutique sites -- and they aren't too expensive either!

MamaKath
05-20-2007, 08:47 PM
I have had great luck with LL Bean backpacks and lunchbags. The backpacks look new after years of use. I throw them in the washer peiodically and let them drip dry. I would make sure any backpack you choose can fit a full size folder/composition notebook and a change of clothes. The lunch box usually gets carried seperately anyway, so it doesn't need to fit inside.