PDA

View Full Version : Should we take this free metal swing set?

jenjenfirenjen
05-09-2007, 08:01 PM
Our neighbors have a metal swing set that they are looking to get rid of and are willing to give it to us for free. It is probably at least ten years old but seems to be in good shape. The manufacturer is Hedstrom.

I did a little research online and found out that the company is out of business and that two of the swing seats have been recalled by the CPSC. I can always replace those seats with new ones from another manufacturer. I'm just a little concerned with the safety of the rest of the set now.

And really I'm worried about the safety of a metal swing set in general. The swing is pretty tall and there is not much place to manuever once you've climbed up there (as opposed to a wooden set with a fort up top.)

So WWYD? Should we go ahead and take it or not? It's really this or nothing since we don't have a lot of space nor are we spending a bunch of money on a wooden set when we have a great park within walking distance.

SnuggleBuggles
05-09-2007, 08:34 PM
I would take it. That's what I grew up with. :) I would follow recommendations from the AAP regarding amount of mulch you put under the set as well as clearance around the set. I think that if installed properly the safety factor should be ok. Especially with parents around keeping an eye on things. Check it over for any sharp pieces or loose pieces. Otherwise you should take it and try it. If you decide it isn't going to work for you then you can dispose of it (ask the original owners what they would prefer, perhaps, as they might want it back for some reason if you have it a very short time- neighbors/ people can be weird :)).

Beth

JBaxter
05-10-2007, 05:10 AM
I would take it! We do have a wooden one but if someone handed us a free one and we had a great park withing walking distance. I "think" that was the manufacturer of my oldest boys swing set and it held up well.

If it doesnt work out you can always freecycle it to someone else :)

brittone2
05-10-2007, 03:40 PM
nak-
I guess if it is in good shape I'd take it. We bought a metal set last year (new) from TRU for $200ish. I'm glad we didn't invest more. *I'd* love a big wooden set, but DS just doesn't love playgrounds that much. He plays w/ ours, and for the price, I'm very happy with it. We had a neighborhood egg hunt here this year and lots of the kids (even up to 8 year olds) were playing on it happily. I can't justify a set that is 10x that price (or way more!) at this point in time. Down the road, if DS shows more interest, or DD becomes really into playgrounds, maybe. We're not sure how long we'll live in our house, so we went with a less expensive option as I don't want to move a pricey set if we do end up moving.

In any case, we're happy with our little inexpensive metal set for now. It works fine. I grew up w/ just a trapeze and swing (my dad made my swingset) and later a tire swing. I thought my cousin's metal set with several types of swings and slide was really fancy LOL ;)