PDA

View Full Version : What Playpen do you have?

NewMamma
05-12-2007, 09:44 AM
We were originally going to get the Graco Pack n Play with the raised changing pad (in Fairfield) -but now I see that they latest Consumer Reports ratings of playpens (April 2007), rates that playpen in last place out of 8 models. The other Graco we were considering, with the changing pad that sits in the playpen (and is not raised), was not rated by them, nor was the Chicco play pen that we are also considering. Safety and portability are very important to us. Please rate your own play pen and let me know what you do, and don't like about it. Thanks!

zephyr
05-12-2007, 09:20 PM
Hi. I don't have a play pen yet but the ONLY one I'm going to get or consider is the new Fisher Price Rainforest play pen. I read the reviews at babiesrus.com and target.com and everyone seems to be extremely satisfied with it. Also they say it's easy to take apart like when you're going somewhere. HTH.
Zephyr

mariza
05-13-2007, 10:55 AM
I have the Graco "Mocha" it's a 2004 model, but all the Graco's are basically the same, just some have "extra's". I never used the changing table attachment, it was too muh of a PITA to take it on and off, but I did use the bassinett feature. Decide what is important for you, for us we wanted something that would blend in with our living room furniture (as much as a huge piece of baby equipment can blend!) so something like the FP Rainforest pen would not work. I haven't used anything but Graco, but loved them enough to but 3 of them! We keep one at my Dad's one at home and one at my brother's in FL.
I just always brought them into their rooms to change diapers, but we lived on one level so if you have 2 floors it would not be practical. Read the reviews here on the BBB and on Amazon/ BRU. For some reason, I never put a lot of stock in consumer reviews when it comes to baby gear. I'm not knocking it, it's just that I guess I feel the Amazon type reviews are more "real world".
Good luck!

Mariza
Mommy to my "Thing 1" DD 1/05
and "Thing 2" DS 9/06

kijip
05-13-2007, 01:03 PM
We had a Graco Pack N Play. I am not sure what CR is smoking because it is the number one seller for a reason- mainly safety record and features. I actually have 25 brand new 3 in 1 PNPs in the garage at work to give to families with newborns. They are the best value and safest we could find to spend money on and a compact way to give families a sleeping and changing place in small spaces.

Tondi G
05-13-2007, 06:27 PM
I dunno but we have a graco pack n play that we got in 2001 for our 1st. It carried us through baby #2 and if we decide to have a 3rd we'll probably use the same one again! It is easy to set up.... and has stood up to my 65lbs DS climbing in with his baby brother. Ours has the bassinette (which sucked cause it rocks too much and I had babies that moved around too much in their sleep) and the changer (again we didn't use this feature more than a couple of times). We got a Mini Arms Reach co sleeper for the early days this time and LOVED it. Then we just used the Pack n play as a playpen and as a travel bed when we traveled when DS#2 was smaller!

My neighbor got the newer model Pack n play with the curved sides and it was fine.

Back in 2001 everyone said the Graco was the way to go and it worked for me!

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05

hillview
05-14-2007, 06:22 AM
We have the graco with a changing table and loved it. My girlfriend has one too and we use it when we go to visit (and also love it). My sister also has one and uses it all the time and is happy with it. That said I've never tried another brand. (If it ain't broke ...)
/hillary

Alice523
05-14-2007, 10:48 PM
We have the same one (Graco Mocha but 2005) and love it. We are still using it 18 months later for trips. For the first month or so, we had it in our living room for changing diapers and naps. Then, we moved it into our room to replace the bassinett until DS went into his crib at 5 months. It got a LOT of use and we never had a complaint. I plan to use it for any future children, too.

We also have Gracos at MIL's and my mom's - they are older models that we bought used and they have been great to have.

DebbieJ
05-14-2007, 11:11 PM
Our Graco is still going strong over 3 years later. My niece just napped in it last week.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

luvsviola
05-15-2007, 10:12 PM
I have the Laura Ashley PNP in Canterbury. I LOVE IT. I love the raised changing table/diaper caddy and would not buy one without it. I stored blankets and extra clothes under it when she was small, and I loved that it was deep enough I could wet cloth wipes and still feel safe with her there. The little baskets were great for cloth wipes, socks, and other small things. The hood was valuable to me because I had it placed near a window. DD loved the vibration feature, and the little light was nice at night.

I also have the Fisher Price Aquarium playard. I don't like it nearly as much as the Graco. It is not nearly as sturdy. I would not buy it again.

So, if it were me, I'd get the Graco with the raised changer.