PDA

View Full Version : I need cool bday gift ideas for 5 yo boys!

mom to little e
05-14-2007, 02:16 PM
We have two bday parties this weekend and a few more coming up. Seems as if all the "big boys" in DS's school are all turning five at the same time!

Since DS is just three, I don't have any idea what 5 yo boys want. Any suggestions? I asked one mom (a neighbor) and she said anything related to his game cube - no an idea I'm interested in encouraging at all. I'd rather do something active and engaging.

TIA!
Maryann
Mommy to Ean & Mia!

kelly ann
05-14-2007, 02:21 PM
I am not sure of your budget, but I love Legos or Playmobil for that age. There is a new Lego Mosaic kit out for about $20 that I am thinking of buying DS.

MelissaTC
05-14-2007, 02:52 PM
DS is going to be 5 and he loves the game, Zingo. He also loves his stomp rockets and would like one of those monster sports games they sell at Target. They have monster soccer, monster golf, monster rockets, etc... (made by Sportcraft). There are some cool sprinklers out as well like the Mt. Tikisoki. A t-ball set would be great too! My DS and his boy friends love sports.

HTH!

-Melissa

SnuggleBuggles
05-14-2007, 03:26 PM
This is a great gift going into summer- the Little Tikes' sprinkler ball. It is a blast! I just saw them at Toys R Us. Do not pay more than $15. They must be hard to find right now b/c all the amazon prices are absurd. But, here is a link just so you can see it:
http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Beach-Ball-Sprinkler/dp/B000127NDE/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/104-8267131-1629500?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1179174179&sr=8-2

You can get a tote that a kid would like to carry and fill it with summer toys (sidewalk chalk, bubbles, jump rope) and maybe a $5 gift certificate to a local ice cream store.

I like giving Cranium Hullabaloo. Sometimes I get a Geotrax starter set if I think the kid would like it.

Most of the time I stick with board games and puzzles. If you have an independent toy/ game store I bet you can get something really neat that they don't already have.

Beth

August Mom
05-14-2007, 03:48 PM
The boys turning 5 in DS's class all seem to be into super heros. However, I've resisted the urge to go that route. I'd go with Legos, Playmobil (particularly one of the vehicles), sports equipment, outdoor water play items or maybe some things for sand play. Board games could be good too. Cranium Balloon Lagoon is fun as is Monopoly Jr. You could also do craft supplies.

mom to little e
05-14-2007, 04:47 PM
All of these posts are good ideas. Thanks to all!

I asked one of the boys' mother (a neighbor) what he might like and she said, anything superheros, or swords, or something for his game cube. No...

Maryann
Mommy to Ean & Mia!

Tondi G
05-14-2007, 10:45 PM
My suggestions would be

Legos
Superheros
Matchbox pop up playset (these are fantastic to bring along to dinner out or doctors visits... they fold up nicely and pack away w/everything inside... we LOVE them!
Outdoor toys... razor scooters are my 5 year olds personal fave right now and we got them at Easter time for 20 bucks! Sprinkler/slip n slide water toys.
Art supplies can be good too

If in doubt a gift card is always helpful and well received!

Good Luck

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05

SnuggleBuggles
05-15-2007, 09:43 AM
Ds *loves* those pop open Matchbox playsets. I think he has gotten g'ma to buy all but one of them. Great idea!

Beth

lovin2shop
05-15-2007, 10:09 AM
Along the lines of the matchbox set, I would say anything from the Disney Cars movie. All the boys (and even a lot of the girls) in Drew's Pre-K class are completely nuts over Cars. Character themed, yes, but to me better than superheros stuff.

Tondi G
05-15-2007, 05:16 PM
we have all 5 now! the 2 larger ones and the 3 small ones. We keep looking to see if they make any new ones! I think the smaller are 12 bucks and the larger are 16 or 17??

anyways... both my kids ages 2 and almost 6 love them still!

~Tondi

mom to little e
06-18-2007, 03:35 PM
These are all great ideas! We've got two more birthdays in the next few weeks for 5 year old boys, so thank you!

Maryann
Mommy to Ean & Mia!

Jen841
06-19-2007, 06:05 AM
I think I am the odd mom. We just had a b-day party and J received tons of stuff I would never buy (he's loving it!) I encourage 'outside' toys more this time of year, but here are some fav's of what they are playing with now at our house, and what my nephews 5+ are loving. There is a baseball obsession right now...

Beach towels (they like having 'their' own towels)
Matchbox car anything - you can get ones with the Cars characters (Target and Kohls for sure)
Set of bases from Target (Learning Express carries too), made by Franklin.
Tee for tee ball
Wiffle ball pitching machine- Frankin makes it
Music - Dan Zanes, Ralph's World, Cars Soundtrack, Laurie Berkner Band, Justin Roberts, Curious George Soundtrack...
Books, or a B&N gift card
50+ piece puzzles
Phat Ball - I never knew these existed, but J could not have been more excited to get one. No idea where to get, but apparently known in the Pre-K room.
Kites - Nothing is better than going to fly a kite on a weekend afternoon with an adult for a child. We have a collection, and picking the right one is a fun thing for J.
Kids can always use some new markers or the huge box of Crayolas.
Target sets a HUGE bubble wand thing. At 5 they can do it easily themselves. Big hit with the older kids at E's bubble bday party last year.

We are Curious George fans (J's room is all CG) so we give the movie, soundtrack (Jack Johnson- really adult but disguised to be kids music- good for all ages!), CG Birthday book, any CG books,... the movie coming out last year leads to all sorts of options.

Happy shopping!
Jen