PDA

View Full Version : Cookware Suggestions?

belovedgandp
05-17-2007, 11:01 AM
I've been pooling my "fun/gift" money for a while and have $250-300 to spend on a new set of cookware. Any suggestions? I'm just starting my research. I've been using copper bottom Farberware I purchased at a garage sale in 1995 so almost anything will be an upgrade.

Not a terribly serious cook, but I am beginning to enjoy it more now that I have kids and stay home.

Can I do it for this money or should I save a while? Where should I look? I have 30% addl at Kohl's now and/or Discover cash back cards and 20% coupons to use at BBBY.

Thanks

chrissyhowie
05-17-2007, 01:22 PM
I happened to notice this cookware deal the other day on Amazon.com. It is a 9 piece Calphalon Commercial Hard Anodized Set for $249.99 shipped (originally $492).
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/41W3FGMG3XL._AA280_.jpg
Here's the link to it: http://tinyurl.com/2w97mk

I have a few pieces from this line of cookware and really like it.

HTH,

cheme
05-17-2007, 02:12 PM
Costco has a few really good sets. We have the stainless steel Kirkland brand one and really like it. We got it for Christmas 2005 and it looks like new. I think it is ~$200. I think they have a good nonstick set too if you like that better.

inmypjs
05-17-2007, 09:02 PM
I would also recommend the Costco set. The non-stick set is #1 rated by Consumer Reports!

cinfulaz
05-17-2007, 10:56 PM
Hi - I would agree with the Calphalon suggestion, especially the hard anodized. I would not recommend getting an entire set of nonstick cookware because you are not supposed to use Teflon/nonstick once it gets scratched - and that is sooo inevitable.

I'd recommend getting the hard anodized set and supplementing it w/a few good frying/saute pans that are nonstick, and which you can replace easily and relatively inexpensively at places like Kohl's or TJ Maxx or Tuesday Morning.

Trust me, I have a Calphalon stainless steel set that I love, but I wish I'd gotten the anodized because it just wears so much better. I have a 3 piece anodized set I've had for 17 years (since college!!)) and I expect to have it another 17 years. Non-stick will never last that long, even if it is the easiest for eggs and pancakes.

belovedgandp
05-17-2007, 11:37 PM
So much to ponder. Thanks for the suggestions. I have a lot more leg work to do. I'd looked a little bit at Calphalon about 3 years ago when I first got this idea. Time to go feel some more pans....

katydid1971
05-18-2007, 12:55 AM
Keep in mind that caphalon can't go into the dishwasher. I would recomend something that is stainless with an aluminum core or bottom. Those can go into the dishwasher but still transfer the heat well like analdized.
HTH
Sarah

BeachBum
05-18-2007, 12:26 PM
My advice is not to buy a set, but instead to buy a few pieces that you use most often in the best quality you feel you can afford. We bought a set when we got married and the smaller skillets and pots rarely get used.

My "go to" pieces are a 12" skillet, and a 4 qt pot-- yours may be different. My other suggestion would be to use your money to buy a good knife if you don't have one already.

Tondi G
05-18-2007, 05:13 PM
we got a Cuisinart set at Christmas that we like a lot!

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=106828&RN=397

~Tondi

daisymommy
05-18-2007, 09:20 PM
What is "hard anodized" exactly? Is it a type of non-stick surface or stainless steel? I don't think I've ever actually seen it in person to feel it.
So it doesn't have the same health effects of Teflon?

FWIW...We have the Wolfgang Puck stainless steel pots and pans that many of you gals here recommended to me over a year ago, and I am loving them! I bought them piece by piece online, rather then getting a whole set of things I didn't need. I got them straight from the http://www.wpcookware.com/ website, as there was a nice variety there.

HHCs Mom
05-18-2007, 10:06 PM
ITA with this. Most sets come with stuff you won't use so why buy it? I knew I'd never use a crepe pan and decided against getting a set (lots of sets come with one). I went to Bed, Bath and Beyond and held a bunch of different brands, figured out what I wanted, and then bought it where I could get the best deal. Definitely *hold* the pots and pans in your hands and then (mentally) add some weight to them --- once they're full of food they'll be even heavier. You may find you like or dislike the handles on several of the brands. I didn't like the way All-Clad felt in my hand and that was good with me since it's so darn expensive! :)

Check out www.cooking.com --- I got a bunch of the anodized Calphalon from them for Christmas and all at great prices. We ditched a ton of old cookware that we hardly used and now have 5 or 6 good pieces that we use constantly. Get what you really *need*, not what comes in a set. Open stock is definitely the way to go!

Kim
~ mama to a sweet boy named Harrison ~ April 2004
...and baby boy #2 due 5.24.07!

alexsmommy
05-20-2007, 08:49 AM
ITA as well. I have a Calphalon set I've had since my single days, and like the PP, there are definately pieces I rarely use. I also find my 12" skillet and 4 qt pot get used the most. I use the other pieces, but not as much as some I've added in, like my huge deep saute pan. I also have one non-stick omlette pan for eggs and pancakes that gets replaced about 1x year due to scratching. I use my stockpot frequently in the winter for soups, but I alos added a pasta stockpot (pregnancy brain - can't remember the correct name) and I love not having to move the pot to drain the pasta. I'd really think about HOW you cook - what do you make frequently. I'd get the best pans for what you do from open stock and then add on.
Alaina
Alex Feb '03
and #2 in early summer '07