PDA

View Full Version : Board Books for one year old?

Bean606
05-18-2007, 12:14 PM
We need some more board books for bedtime, because I am getting tired of reading the ones we have, and DS will not go to sleep until a book or two has been read. Our favorites are The Very Hungry Caterpillar, Is Your Mama a Llama, Guess How Much I Love You, and On the Day You Were Born. I will not read Goodnight Moon or My World again until DS is old enough to ask me to read them (I find them painfully boring), and am not a big fan in general of Margaret Wise Brown's books. Any suggestions on some new books I can get for DS? Thanks!

brittone2
05-18-2007, 12:19 PM
At 1, DS really liked some of the Priddy board books (he'll actually still look at and label things in those books at 3), he liked a lot of touch and feel books, etc.

Tails was a big hit here around 1. DS did manage to rip some parts off and stuff, but it is touch/feel, and has some interactive tabs you can pull to make the tails wag and move on different animals.

Jamberry is another favorite.

I'm drawing a blank since we don't read as many board books these days.

brittone2
05-18-2007, 12:49 PM
for some reason the boards aren't letting me edit my above post, but I just checked our book shelf and other popular board books around here were Sandra Boynton (especially Barnyard Dance and Snuggle Puppy), and Where is Baby's Belly Button? by Karen Katz. You can get Dr. Seuss in board book form too.

LarsMal
05-18-2007, 01:00 PM
I tried to post this a little bit ago, but it wouldn't let me.

I had some of Beth's recs on my list:

Sandra Boynton: "Snuggle Puppy", "Moo, Baa, La La La" and "The Going to Bed Book" are favorites

DK Touch and Feel Books

Eric Carle: "From Head to Toe"

Karen Katz: "Where is Baby's Bellybutton"

Lift-the-flap books and touch/feel books are always hits around here!

eliasmom
05-18-2007, 02:22 PM
These are the same books I was going to suggest! We also like Time For Bed by Mem Fox. I actually bought a random bunch of board books on eBay because I felt like poking my eyes out if I had to do Guess How Much I Love You one more night :)

Fairy
05-18-2007, 02:25 PM
Big huge lover of Jamberry over here. There are so many, I can go on and on and on. Here are my faves, in addition to Jamberry.

* Anything Sandra Boynton. Anything. Especailly 1,2,3; Doggies, The Going to Bed Book, But Not the Hippopotamus, and Pajama Time. And Snuggle Puppy. All of her books are classic and timeless.

* Babies, by Gyo Fujikawa

* Goodnight Gorilla, by Peggy Rathman. Also love her "10 Mintues till Bedtime."

* The DK real picture "My First" books, like My First Animal book and My First Body book.

* How about some of the Bugs books, like Jingle Bugs and Hanukkah Bugs and Halloween Bugs. Moving parts, but great.

I could go on and on. There's a start.

Bean606
05-18-2007, 03:51 PM
Can't wait to check out these recommendations!

LarsMal
05-18-2007, 04:02 PM
I can't believe I forgot two of DS's absolute favorites!!!

Doreen Cronin's "Wiggle"

and (yet another) Boynton "Barnyard Dance"

Okay, I'll stop now!

Tondi G
05-18-2007, 05:07 PM
One more suggestion for ya! My boys 2 and almost 6 LOVE THEM!

Byron Barton books

TRAINS
TRUCKS
BOATS
MACHINES AT WORK
MY CAR
PLANES
DINOSAURS, DINOSAURS

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/103-4111307-1884648?%5Fencoding=UTF8&search-type=ss&index=books&field-author=Byron%20Barton

cindylouhoo
05-18-2007, 05:07 PM
DS loves these 4 Priddy "Bright Baby" books: Trucks, Colors, Animals, and First Words.
He also loves The Very Lonely Firefly and From Head to Toe by Eric Carle.

maestramommy
05-18-2007, 09:17 PM
Brown Bear
Polar Bear
Any Sandra Boynton Books
The Very Busy Spider (same author as Hungry Caterpillar)
Time for Bed
Where is Baby's Belly Button (and others by that author)
Max Books (The chubby Rabbit)

ETA: agree with PP. DD loves Machines at Work and Boats. Don't know why, but she really got into them from the beginning, and comes back to them from time to time.

Fairy
05-18-2007, 10:30 PM
Excuse me, Byron Barton has other books besides Dinosaurs, Dinosaurs? Gotta run ... must go to Barnes & Noble now . . .

MommyAllison
05-19-2007, 12:36 AM
nak

have to agree that sandra boynton books are the best! i try to get dd to read them because *i* love them so much :) dd also loves her noah's ark book, because of the animals.

allison
Mama to DD 11/05

denna
05-21-2007, 06:18 AM
DS loves this touch and feel/board book:

http://www.amazon.com/I-See-Monster-Touch-Feel/dp/1581174837/ref=sr_1_55/103-1973420-4307816?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1179745730&sr=1-55

We also read him Dr. Seuss books (though these are regular books) and he really enjoys them. We have a big selection of these. We also have a Baby Einstein board book that he enjoys but Im not sure of the title (it was a gift).

Here is a great list from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/103-1973420-4307816?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=board+books

HTH,