PDA

View Full Version : Pool Floaties for 2 yr old

mommabear
05-20-2007, 09:00 AM
I am at a loss for what to get my DS who is 27 mon old. At the moment he won't let go of my neck but his grip is loosening :)
Should I just get a life vest? What is a good one?
Thanks

betsydenny
05-20-2007, 05:41 PM
I got a great Speedo swiming vest at Target last year for about $20 or less I think. It is designed smilar to a life vest- zip up the front and small "wedgie strap" as we call them, but is designed for swimming so it has more flexible fabric and no head support thing.
Found it next to the goggles in the swimming section- not the boating/sports section.

My DD who was 3.5 used it all summer and DS who was almost 2 at the time needed a bit more floatation so I added wings- quite a sight! but he sure wasn't going to sink! ;-)

The kids just found them the other day and are all excited to use them again this summer!
HTH!
Betsy

mommabear
05-21-2007, 08:30 AM
thanks
i will check it out

kochh2
05-21-2007, 08:37 AM
We got a swim bubble for DS last year (google for Swim bubble) - it is wonderful, and doesn't restrict his body moveemnt as much as water wings... At 18 mos or so, DS was LOVING it!! i can't wait to try it with im this summer... I bet he'll be "swimming" with it by himself!!
:) HTH

luckymom
05-21-2007, 10:49 AM
My son was the same way, clinging with the death grip if we could get him into the pool at all. Then we tried swim lessons at our local Y, they use swim belts. They are three foam blocks on a webbing belt, they really dont look like much. Suprisingly they hold the kids up so well, and in a good position for learining to swim. He doesn't tip forwards into the water like he did with other swim aids. Two classes later my son is zooming around the pool on his own and finally graduated to the preschool class where I dont have to go in. :) Search on amazon for swim belt, they should come up. You remove foam blocks as they become better swimmers.

Have fun
Lucy

mommabear
05-21-2007, 07:44 PM
thanks ladies

mommabear
05-21-2007, 08:02 PM
is this what you are talking about?
http://www.kiefer.com/Kiefer/productr.asp?pf_id=621002&iorb=4764

squimp
05-22-2007, 03:34 PM
I'd do a life vest. DD wore one at the pool all summer when she was two. Now that she's 3, she's almost swimming, but the little backpacks (a styrofoam version of those bubbles) are great for this age. We just borrow them at the pool, but I bet you could buy one if need be.

mommabear
05-23-2007, 08:33 AM
I think that is what i am going to do. He isn't ready for much else. At 7 mon pg I need the easiet thing for him.