PDA

View Full Version : Nonviolent action figures for a 5 year old?

trumansmom
05-20-2007, 04:59 PM
We've recently had some behavioral issues with Truman. One of the things that came out was that he really wasn't good at imaginative, creative play. The therapist suggested getting action figures for him. However, I'm having a really difficult time finding nonviolent figures that don't cost a zillion dollars. Any suggestions?

And I would be grateful for any other suggestions for creative play. We have tons of art supplies and musical instruments, so any other ideas?

Thanks!

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04

fate
05-20-2007, 05:25 PM
My 3.5 yo DS is currently playing with Rescue Heroes. We have lots of the video s which give him ideas and as we speak I am hiding/placing animals all over the house so he can rescue them. He is just starting to talk and act with more imagination. THey are incredibly easy to come by at garage sales for cheap. I don't know if your DS would be too old for them? I'm guessing no. I figure we are just "renting" all these platic toys for a year or so until he moves on...

My ds also loves pulleys ropes magnets anyhting he can create and pull. he imagines wonderful parties with his stuffed animals too. I let him go at it with all our paper plates and picnic supplies etc.

chalk outside and a water table, playdough,

August Mom
05-20-2007, 05:43 PM
I think Playmobil would be perfect. You can choose a theme that he's into and there is lots of room for imaginative play. DS particularly likes the sets with vehicles (and he loves the soccer game, but not as much imaginative play there). We have the airplane, rescue helicopter - big hit, fire truck, garbage truck and police car. There also are knights, people who live in the city, a zoo set and all sorts of things. They are not inexpensive, but you can find decent deals on-line and DH really enjoys them.

FWIW, there are guns with the police figures. I didn't realize that originally, so if that's an issue for you, you may want to avoid those.

muskiesusan
05-20-2007, 06:40 PM
I was going to suggest Playmobil as well, but it can get $$$, so check out kidsurplus.com. We also have a castle and pirate set that the kids play with in nonviolent ways (much to my surprise). I don't know about them, but aren't transformers robots or something?

Nick isn't very imaginative either, so he struggles with these types of toys (I have to play as well or he doesn't play with them at all). But, he does better with dress-ups (knight, super hero capes, construction worker, etc). It also helps that Alex has an awesome imagination and often directs the play (when they are not fighting, lol).

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

SnuggleBuggles
05-20-2007, 06:50 PM
We just found a treasure trove of Rescue Heroes at a yard sale yesterday. Ds will be 5 next month and had a blast playing with them yesterday.

Of course, any toy can turn into "violent" play. Ds doesn't watch violent shows but he turned a stick into a gun the other day, to my dismay. At least it was a chance for ds and I to talk about my feelings on guns and such.

But, things like Rescue Heroes come from a good, non violent starting point. :)

Beth

egoldber
05-20-2007, 08:29 PM
Does it need to be "action"?

I think the Fisher Price Loving Family dolls are terrific.

http://www.fisher-price.com/fp.aspx?st=900000&e=storethumb&pcat=fps_presch_dollhouse

We have the mom, dad, grandma, girl kid, boy kid, toddler girl, boy baby and girl baby. Sarah adores this family and to my eye they are pretty generic. She acts out all sorts of scenarios with these folks. I get insights occasionally by listening in. :) She uses them without the dollhouse. My MIL (a therapist) said she used to use these dolls in heer therapy sessions LOL!!

I don't think they make them anymore, but FP used to have a dollhouse line called Sweet Streets. They had non-girly items like a schoolhouse, ice cream shop, etc that came with small dolls. Again, Sarah doesn't use the houses much, but she loves the small dolls that came with them and they are just generic children (boys and girls) and some adults.

SnuggleBuggles
05-20-2007, 08:39 PM
Ideas for other play:
play kitchen
workbench
playhouse
Little People toys (I know he is getting a bit old for them but my ds still plays with them)
Legos

Beth

MamaKath
05-20-2007, 08:42 PM
My first thought is Playmobil also. I have found it a great step up from Little People for my kids. It also has been a great activity for building small motor for ds (also 5 yo) since the pieces are small but he can manage manipulating them. My Tuesday Morning store often has them at a discount. He also plays with Rescue Heroes but seems to like the Playmobil better.

Not action heroes but he loves playing with all kinds of little animals. His favorites are by Schleich. We get them all the time at Tractor Supply Company and Target. This site gives you a ton of pictures of the things available. http://www.toysdirecttoyourdoor.co.uk/products.php?category_id=320
Besides that he gets into all his sister's stuff and plays. Littlest Pet shop, my little pony, polly pockets, fisher price family, fp sweet streets, etc.

Momof3Labs
05-20-2007, 08:49 PM
I was also going to suggest Rescue Heroes. They are tough to come by in the stores but all over the place at garage sales.

Even more than Rescue Heroes, DS1 enjoys playing with matchbox cars. A set of 5-6 fire trucks can go on all sorts of rescue missions and calls. Add a set of unit blocks, and he can build buildings where they can put out fires, save people, etc. Or just buildings to maneuver around.

lisams
05-20-2007, 11:18 PM
Another vote for Playmobil. They are great for imaginitave play and you can choose a theme and expand on it.

trumansmom
05-21-2007, 09:09 AM
I think we're off to Tuesday Morning to look for Playmobil stuff this morning. :)

My little brother and mother are avid garage sale goers, so I'm going to give them a wish list for rescue heroes and Sweet Family stuff. How on earth did I manage to be a parent for this long without hearing of these things?

Wish us luck. Right now he's engaged in some sort of imaginative something, but I'm afraid to look. All I know is all the cushions are off teh couch and I heard something about "pin the tail on Eleanor". Yikes!!

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04

August Mom
05-21-2007, 11:29 AM
Occasionally TJ Maxx and/or Marshalls have Playmobil items also. If you want to order on-line, I've had good luck (and good pricing) with Ridge Road Station. http://www.ridgeroadstation.com/ (Free shipping on $40 or more of Playmobil).

kristenk
05-21-2007, 11:55 AM
Kidsurplus also has a big selection of Playmobil and the prices are good. The shipping ($7.95 flat rate) isn't the best if you're just picking up a few things, though.

Also check out Target. The ones near us right now have an astronaut, firefighter, boy with mama and baby seal, and some assorted pirates and warriors. Prices aren't too bad on the individual figures. They don't have much in the way of sets, though.

mom to little e
05-21-2007, 12:50 PM
My son adores playing with his "sea creatures" that we bought in a plastic tube while at a restaurant on vacation. The tubes are called "Toobs" and are made by Safari company. They run about $5-6 per toob and come in all kinds of themes (sharks & whales, dinosaurs, farm babies, wild animals, pirates, Jamestown settlers, cowboys, the list goes on and on). We recently found a large assortment of the themes in our Michaels. In my mind, they are the equalivant to the little plastic army men - but at least the animals aren't violent! :)

Maryann
Mommy to Ean & Mia!