PDA

View Full Version : Pics of the kids....Canon Rebel XT OR Nikon D40

mykidsmom
05-22-2007, 03:44 PM
Which would you buy and WHY?

I really only want a SLR for the fast shutter speed to capture pics of the kids since they are moving targets these days. At some point I hope to learn more about how to use it on manual settings but for now I won't have time.

Which would you buy and WHY? Canon Rebel XT OR Nikon D40

Thanks!!

neeter
05-22-2007, 08:34 PM
I know you asked about two camera choices, but I am in the market for a new camera as well and have have been through a ton of research and finally decided against it. Not sure if you want my perspective, but...

I really want the speed of the SLR too to capture the kids, but all in all, I really did not want to lug around a big camera and lens, and when I did lug it around I didn't want to have to worry about it (for example, when going to the beach, I wouldn't want to bring it and have to watch it all the time or worry about sand getting into it). I also really want the option of taking video, and to my knowledge you can't do that with a SLR. I also would be pretty much relying on the automatic features and didn't really want to tinker with manual settings. I knew that if I got the SLR I would probably also want to get a compact...so I'm just right now researching the compacts with the fastest response times (with the best shutter lag and shot to shot times).

Anyway, that's my perspective, even though I was initially really into getting a SLR (and DH was in support of it)... Hope this helps a little.

Some places for research are:

www.dpreview.com
www.pbase.com
www.imaging-resource.com
flickr.com/cameras
www.dcresource.com

Some of these sites you can see images taken with different cameras to compare image quality.

mykidsmom
05-22-2007, 08:50 PM
Thanks for your reply and the links. I did consider a faster point and shoot but I think I will still get pics of the side of my dd's head rather then her face. I have had the compact cameras but really don't mind having a big camera if it will get me the photos I want. I am so frustrated by the pics I have been getting of the kids lately. I'd still love to hear which point and shoot you end up finding to be the fastest!

jyllebean
05-22-2007, 09:53 PM
I agree with the pp about wanting to have both and slr and a compact camera. I don't know too much about the Nikon, but we have the Canon Rebel XTi and love it. My husband researched the rebel A LOT and the only negative things he found were from professional photographers who of course liked the even more expensive and advanced SLR. But for the amateur the Rebel is easy to use, takes great pictures and it really doesn't feel too heavy or bulky. We have been really happy with our purchase. Good luck! Also-- sometimes Costco has them for slightly cheaper. It is an expensive camera!

kcimato
05-22-2007, 10:50 PM
I too wanted a camera so I could take pics of the grandkids and not the back of their heads. I have bought 3 digital cameras. As I was pondering about which camera to buy, a customer asked me what kind of camera I shoot with now. At the time I had a Canon SLR. He said, then go with a Canon since that is what you are familiar with. As it turned out that was an excellent piece of advice. My speedlight flash was able to fit on the digital. Later I upgraded to another Canon and eventually bought the digital canon SLR. All of my lenses fit and they all operated the same way. I love my Canon Rebel. You really can't go wrong with the Nikon either. Look at how the menues work. I found the Nikons difficult but maybe it was b/c I was so used to the Canons.

One piece of advice I'll give to you is buy the body only and then buy an 18-200 zoom lens for it. That will give you all the ranges you need.The good part is you won't have to change lenses,

And yes you will probably want a small camera too.The SLRs are bulky. I'm lucky, I don't have to haul the kids around, I just take the pictures!

mykidsmom
05-22-2007, 11:17 PM
>One piece of advice I'll give to you is buy the body only and
>then buy an 18-200 zoom lens for it. That will give you all
>the ranges you need.The good part is you won't have to change
>lenses,

Can you please tell me more about lenses. How is this different then the lens that comes on the camera?

neeter
05-23-2007, 10:37 AM
Sofar I'm leaning towards the Canon Powershot 800IS -- shutter lag is .09 sec and shot to shot times are 1.7 (w/o flash) 2 sec (w/flash). But I've been reading great things about the Fuji F31fd, which is a little slower but supposedly excellent in capturing indoor lowlight shots.

Its hard to get a camera that has it all! Good luck in your search!

mykidsmom
05-23-2007, 10:59 AM
>Sofar I'm leaning towards the Canon Powershot 800IS --
>shutter lag is .09 sec and shot to shot times are 1.7 (w/o
>flash) 2 sec (w/flash). But I've been reading great things
>about the Fuji F31fd, which is a little slower but supposedly
>excellent in capturing indoor lowlight shots.
>
>Its hard to get a camera that has it all! Good luck in your
>search!

If I was not trying to capture my kids this type would work, but 1.7 and 2 sec lag times are too long to get their smile (2 yr olds rarely hold still for 2 secs!)

wencit
05-23-2007, 12:11 PM
I also wavered between the Canon and Nikon, and ultimately bought a Canon Digital Rebel XT only because I got an great deal. I love this camera. Like you, I was tired of getting fuzzy, blurry shots because my kid wouldn't stop moving. Even on fully automatic, the pictures that my DSLR takes are superior to the ones taken by my point-and-shoot (also a Canon, the SD550, which is supposed to be a good camera, too). I'm not a particularly picky person, but even I can tell that the picture quality is just different, especially in low level light conditions (i.e. not outside). I don't use too many manual settings, but I do like having the option of being able to customize things, unlike on my point-and-shoot. I'm not a photographer extraordinaire, but occasionally I do want to do nice effects, such as blur the background so that my kid stands out in the picture more, or slow the shutter speed waaaaay down, and it's frustrating to not have that capability on the P&S.

If you can swing it, I highly recommend getting both a DSLR, as well as a point-and-shoot. The DSLR for your main camera, and the point-and-shoot for videos, as well as the convenience of just popping it into your diaper bag. That way, you will always have the ability to take video or snap a pic if your child does something hilarious or amazing and you don't happen to have your DSLR with you. You can find some pretty good deals on slightly older model point-and-shoots these days.

OK, this turned out way longer than expected, but I do love my Canon, although I honestly don't think you can go wrong with either one.

flickinpa
05-23-2007, 02:20 PM
I have the Canon Rebel XT and LOVE it!!! It was so worth the money! I was concerned about the size of it at first but I have now had my camera for a year and there have only been 2 times that I have not taken it with me. The post about buying the body only is great advice! Wish we had known that as we bought it with the lens then updated to have the zoom lens and our other lens is just sitting there. The only caution is the zoom lens (28-200) is heavier than the lens that comes with the camera.
You can't go wrong with either camera. A professional photographer friend of mine suggested that the Nikon is slightly quicker but as another posted if you are an amateur, the Canon is fine and does everything.
You will love the DSLR. I love mine.
Elizabeth

neeter
05-23-2007, 03:23 PM
Absolutely -- good luck and happy shopping! :)

kcimato
05-23-2007, 10:09 PM
I don't think the zoom lense is that much heavier than the regular one. The advantage to the the zoom is you can zoom in on the kids from further away. Most times they don't know I.m taking a picture. I don't have to get in their face to get a good closeup.

The zoom lense I have is a 15 to 200 the one that comes with the camera is 15 to 55. The zoom lens contains the 15 to 55 and so when you want to zoom you don't have to change lenses.

Any way, you will get used to the size of the camera and won't think much about it afterwhile.

My sister has the Sony DSLR which is very good also. Hers is the A1oo I think. Good clear pics with that also.

mykidsmom
05-23-2007, 10:25 PM
If I get the Canon Rebel xt frame only which brand zoom do I buy? I think I read that Canon does not have a 15-200 zoom. Is that true? If so which is recommended and how much do they cost?
Thanks!

kcimato
05-24-2007, 12:11 AM
I got the Tamron 15- 200 it was about $375 but worth it. If you are near a camera store go in and talk to them about it and have them show you the different brands and the differences. Good luck.

cric
05-24-2007, 03:51 PM
I haven't read most of the responses, so I hope I'm not duplicating.

I originally wanted the Canon Rebel XT. My DH went to get me it for Christmas, and ended up getting me the Nikon D50, and I'm glad he did. Sure, it has a bit less MP, but that difference doesn't matter if you're not blowing up a shot to poster size! Canon vs. Nikon is like Ford vs. Chevy, is what the camera guy said. The guy at wolf camera told DH that if I'm just beginning to learn photography, he would recommend going w/ the lower cost and I could always upgrade years down the road. Who knows, then maybe I'll upgrade past the Rebel! I LOVE my Nikon. I'm so glad that he saved a few dollars too! I haven't looked at the D40, so I don't know what the differences between that and the D50 or the Canon are. So, you'll have to look at that and decide. Oh, and go hold the camera. See if there is one you like the feel of more in your hands when your shooting.

I also have a P&S camera, because I feel I need both.

cric
05-24-2007, 03:54 PM
I'm trying to decide on a new lens for my Nikon and am thinking along this line. Do you find that you need a tripod for pictures? I really need to get into the store and test them out on my camera. But, I'm afraid I'll shake too much for a good shot. Thanks for your input!

kcimato
05-24-2007, 09:24 PM
No you won't need a tripod. Most of these have image stabilization. I have the Rebel EOS the basic one and I have shot seens where the shutter speed is real low and the pic is not blurry at all. It's amazing. The lens that is 15 -200 is really short. I have a 75-300 for my regular SLR and it is much longer. I have put it on my digital and have not had any problems with pics being blurry.

mom2aidan
05-25-2007, 11:39 AM
I was having the same dilemma as you and I just ended up ordering the Nikon D40 today at Amazon for $536 and it came with a lens. A friend of mine has the Nikon D40 and she loves it. I tried using it myself and I'm so impressed with the picture quality and also the speed. I haven't tried the Canon rebel but as everyone said, it's really up to you. I think you can't go wrong with either one. This is our first DSLR. I already have a Kodak which is a point and click and I've had it for a few years now and it does have it's limitations.

cric
05-27-2007, 06:15 PM
Thanks! I really need to get my butt in gear and purchase something!

neeter
05-28-2007, 07:37 AM
Just saw that dpreview has posted a full review of the new Nikon D40X, which looks awesome...!!

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond40x/

boys2enough
05-28-2007, 06:13 PM
>Just saw that dpreview has posted a full review of the new
>Nikon D40X, which looks awesome...!!
>
>http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond40x/
>

Thanks to OP for posting this question. I have been looking at the Nikon D40: I am a sucker for whatever Costco recommended in the Costco "magazine," a bigger sucker for the whole promotion that Nikon did around the D40: giving cameras away to 200 random people in a small town and showing what great pictures they were all able to capture with the D40.

Although I am very happy with my super slim Casio, I am tired of the shutter lag, like many people here. My kids are growing up so fast, if I don't start taking good pictures of them, I believe that I will regret it in a few years.

I have my mind set on the D40 after reading the DPreview and reviews on CNet and Amazon.com. It seems that most of the negative reviews came from people who were upset when they found out that their OLD lens(es) can't be used with the D40.

I just need to figure out a vendor to buy from. Costco unfortunately does not carry the D40 in store, plus you will have to pay tax (almost $50!)

P.s. I saw that Amazon.com has purchased DPreview.com this month. I am sure the DPreview folks got a nice chunk of change, and am very happy for them. For a "volunteer" and free review website, theirs can't be beat. I wish there is a review site like this for every product that I am looking to buy. I do hope though that the new ownership does not change the way (unbiased and opinionated even) they have been reviewing the cameras.

Cheers, Lin

http://smilies.vidahost.com/kao/otn/pnkypanda.gif

alien_host
05-28-2007, 08:03 PM
I got the Canon Rebel XTi for Christmas and love it. I have the Olympus C-700 (we got it ages ago b/c we wanted a good zoom) and the slr blows it out of the water. I can finally get shots of DD as I see her through the view finder and not get frustrated that I missed the shot due to shutter delay.

It is bulky compared to the thin credit card sized cameras you see out there but I've gotten used to carrying it around as my other camera wasn't exactly compact. But like others mentioned, I do get nervous having it out of the canera bag around large crowds (I don't leave it on the side table etc).

BJs has it for $799 with one lens (18-55) and Costco has the same package for $779.

I think you will be thrilled with the picture quality. I have to admit though I've only really used it on the automatic setting.

mykidsmom
05-28-2007, 08:40 PM
I decided to go with the Rebel XTI and can't be more excited. Found a great deal at buydig.com. $735 no tax (to Calif) and free shipping.