PDA

View Full Version : What to do.....

robinsonbn
05-27-2007, 01:10 PM
Hi! I know it's been a while we have been very busy trying to pack and move two homes while DH recovers. Anyway, last night I was giving DS a bath...well trying he kept pulling himself up to standing and trying to step out of the tub or he would try and roll over and crawl out! It became a slippery wrestling match him (without making a sound) trying to get out of the bath no matter what and me trying to keep him from falling and cracking his head or something. I finally gave up not sure I managed to get all the soap off. The really weird part was DS was completely calm the whole time, he would just give me this look like time to get out and try. When I started drying him off he was smiley and laughing ect. Why was he so strangely calm in the bath? He usually laughs ect. That however, is not my main question.
My question is...what do i do! How can I get him to sit still in the bath tub? Is there a seat? Toys? what? I would really like to go back to bathtim being a fun bonding experience instead of the wrestling match it was last night. Not to mention I really don't want him to get hurt.

jgriffin
05-27-2007, 02:00 PM
We have a lot of bath toys, but E only gets a selection of them at each bath, so it keeps it interesting. I also let him have his own washcloth or sponge so he can help wash himself.

When he was younger he would sometimes try to climb out of the bath. I would give him a warning that he's not allowed to stand up in the bath, and after one or two warnings I would just take him out and that would be the end of bathtime. Harder to do if he's covered in soap, of course.

Recently he also has tried to get out of the tub, but we've learned that it's when he has to pee, so we keep a potty next to the bathtub and just pop him on it when this happens.

HTH!

Jen

hbridge
05-27-2007, 03:29 PM
Try a rectangular plastic laundry basket. It keeps DC contained, has great sides for them to hold onto, and keeps all the toys within reach. My DC wouldn't take a bath without one until she was two.

Hope that helps.

Tondi G
05-27-2007, 06:21 PM
I took baths with both of my children for a long time. Made it easy to get them clean and keep them safe!

How old is your DS?

Clarity
05-27-2007, 07:08 PM
Get in the tub with him! I always sat in the tub with dd and bathed her. I bathed myself on my own time but her bath time was for playing and bonding and enjoying the water together. Now that she's bigger, she often sits in the tub while I shower and I bathe her afterwards.

Corie
05-27-2007, 08:51 PM
I did this for a long time too! More so with my daughter because now my
kids just bathe together and there is no room for me! :)

C99
05-27-2007, 11:10 PM
>I took baths with both of my children for a long time. Made
>it easy to get them clean and keep them safe!

I did/do this with all of my kids! I take baths with them until they are about a year and/or walking.

DebbieJ
05-27-2007, 11:31 PM
We used the Eurotub for a long time.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

DAKnits
05-28-2007, 12:58 AM
Yes, there's a seat I used, and it worked great to keep my DD safe ...

It looks like this, but we have it in white:

http://www.babyant.com/bh012043.html

We also used this tub for a LONG time ... you move the bar in the tub when your baby grows into the toddler stage. LOVED this.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=893748

HTH!

denna
05-30-2007, 06:15 AM
Hey Brittany,

This has really helped a friend of ours out with a similar problem and we have actually ordered one recently (just not here yet):

http://www.amazon.com/Tub-Time-Bumpers-00009-Inflatable-Bathtub/dp/B000H7XB8E/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3/102-3741517-6372117?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1180523751&sr=1-3

HTH,

hillview
05-30-2007, 01:37 PM
Not sure how old your DS is but at about 15 months DS started to try to get out of the tub (standing and climbing etc). I keep it short "we sit in the tub or no tub" if he still tries I say "bath over" and take him out. It took 2 taking him out of the tub before he has pretty much stopped climbing out. He still tests every once in a while. Not sure this would work for a younger DC.
HTH
/hillary

robinsonbn
06-01-2007, 03:26 AM
Thanx everyone! We had another stressful bath but this weekend I am going hunting for a solution. I am thinking a bath seat and taking a bath with him. I am not sure a bath seat will hold him he is a good escape artist. We will see thanx for all the great advice!