PDA

View Full Version : Sandbox owners--can animals get in even with a vinyl cover?

MMMommy
05-30-2007, 12:01 PM
I am tempted to buy a sandbox for my two girls--my older one loves playing in the sandbox at preschool. DH thinks I'm just asking for trouble with the mess and animals getting into the box. It seems like a lot of the sandboxes with covers have vinyl/tarp-like covers. For those of you with sandboxes, do animals still tend to get in even with the vinyl covers?

I'm interested in getting the Battat one (same as the one pictured below)--

http://www.sensationalbeginnings.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=R+5+134X&GEN9=1

Thanks!

brittone2
05-31-2007, 01:41 PM
I wasn't sure about how a tarp would work out, but we have the Naturally Playful sandbox (might be smaller than what you want). My fav part of this particular sandbox is the lid design is really nice and manages to keep almost everything out (we get worms, which get all dried out from the sand of course...ick. Anyway, that only happens when we have major, major downpours of rain). I didn't look at the dimensions of the Battat one but if it is even close in size to the Naturally Playful, I'd go with the NP because of the lid. If you have your heart set on something bigger with two kids, obviously that won't help :

kellij
06-01-2007, 12:18 AM
We have dogs and cats and lots of trees (which equals lots of birds) so it's very important to keep "things" out. I just got the little tikes turtle sandbox that has the turtle shell lid and it works great. I would be worried about the tarp on the one you picked out because I don't understand what would happen to the water if it rained. Like on the turtle shell, it's a dome so it just runs off. I think the battat one is really really cute though.

By the way, my son LOVES playing in it.

MMMommy
06-01-2007, 11:57 PM
Thanks for your tips! Much appreciated. Even though I love the look of the Battat one, now I'm thinking it might not be as practical b/c of the not so great cover. I have time to think about it before I return it, but in the meantime, I will look into the Naturally Playful Step2 sand tables and boxes you guys mentioned. Thanks!