PDA

View Full Version : I'm just not meant to have a video monitor, am I?

jerzeygirl
05-30-2007, 08:56 PM
I never had a video monitor with DS... we always seemed to do just fine with the plain old Sony Baby Call 900Mhz audio monitor. And except for the battery being dead, it still does fine after 3 years. But when i had DD, i decided to splurge on a dual video monitor. I'd be able to see when she unwraps herself from her swaddle, as well as when DS is awake and roaming the upstairs when he's supposed to be sleeping.

First, i got the Geeks.com monitor when they were $49 each on www.saveateagle.com. I got them to work together, as well as play thru the tv, but i thought the devices themselves sucked. Navigating through the different menu options on the receiver to adjust the settings was like a cryptic puzzle (i find many inexpensive foreign-made products like this have this problem), and i was never truly happy with things like the contrast on the screen even when i played with the settings as much as i could. Plus, the night vision was completely useless. I got some interference from other things in my home, but it wasn't so bad that i couldn't look past it if it weren't for the other issues i was having.

So after i returned those, i tried the Summer Day & Night dual scanning monitor with the little tv set receiver. The picture was much clearer, and the menu options were far more intuitive, but as long as our cordless phone was plugged in, there were too many white tracking lines to be tolerable. And the monitor competed with my laptop for a connection, so i could only access the internet on-and-off. So that went back to the store too.

I know that my cordless phone, as well as both of the monitors i tried were all 2.4Ghz. Would i have more luck with the tracking if i can find a 900Mhz monitor? I don't really understand wireless routers at all, but i know that we have this one (http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=530). Is there a monitor out there that won't conflict with this either? Or should i just give up the search for a video monitor that will work and call it a day?